Latest post Thu, Jul 26 2018 11:49 AM by dbiok. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 25 2018 5:32 PM

• cls105
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • los angeles
    • Posts 433
    • Points 5,655

Transcoding errors should not cancel entire transcode job.

If I highlight over a thousand ama clips and transcode and I get an error it cancels the entire job.

It makes it really tough to resume the transcode job and pickup from where it left off.  The order of transcoding is not alphabetical or anything.

Media Composer should skip the clip that had the error, and give the error'd clips a color or something.

What is your workflow when resuming trascoding after an error? thanks

So in short.  I know there will always be some transcoding problems, sometimes its the source file that is messed up.  But there should be a way an easier way to look at everything and just see the isolated error clips.

MC 2018.12.1, diy x299 7940x 4.7ghz OC, 1080ti, 128gb ram, w10 pro (1803) DM me on instagram for tech Q's: dvhaime [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 25 2018 5:59 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,582
    • Points 65,470

Re: Transcoding errors should not cancel entire transcode job.

It's one of those moments when an assistant editor comes in very handy. Go to the Media Tool, open the transcoding target disk, select the successfully transcoded clips, drag them to a bin. Now You'll have to sort out the related linked clips, if the camera assigns unique file names it's easier, if the camera starts from eg 001 every time it's switched off it's a mess, You'll have to search for every clip and find the match comparing the duration and timecode. Put all linked and transcoded clips in a temp bin and display them in alphabetical order, You'll see a given linked clip and the transcoded one with the .new.01 suffix, put the linked clip in a temp bin named eg linked clips, and the transcoded clip in a temp bin named eg transcoded. After spotting all of the transcoded clips and the relative linked clips and put them in their own bins what is left is the clips to be transcoded. If the transcoded clips are not that many it might be more convenient to start over again. Selecting a thousand clips for transcoding is kind of looking for troubles, I'd make smaller bins, and background transcode in batches, saving every time You start a transcode, if anything goes wrong and You have a crash You should be able to resume from where You left off.

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Wed, Jul 25 2018 6:07 PM In reply to

• cls105
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • los angeles
    • Posts 433
    • Points 5,655

This convoluted workflow that we both use only justifies why they should improve this.

I really think improving the software makes more sense.

Make it easier to resume after a transcoding error.  Very simple concept.

MC 2018.12.1, diy x299 7940x 4.7ghz OC, 1080ti, 128gb ram, w10 pro (1803) DM me on instagram for tech Q's: dvhaime [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 25 2018 7:06 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,582
    • Points 65,470

I agree, totally, but since You asked how to recover the clips already transcoded I tried my best to help You out. Honestly, it is circonvoluted, but the only other option is to trash everything and restart from fresh, avoiding to transcode a thousand clips at once.

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Thu, Jul 26 2018 11:49 AM In reply to

• dbiok
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 19 2010
    • Germany
    • Posts 44
    • Points 520

You could do it as an BG transcode. If I remember right, BG is skipping the errored file and proceeds with the list. The good thing is, if you start the BG transcode, MC will create all the new master clips without a mediadrive assigned. So if it fails completly you could sort the files by name and then you see all clips already done, cause they have a mediadrive assigned.

You also see the name of the errored file in the BG console, if you open the job list.

We never had problems with the BG. If you shut down the PC accidently (or crash, or whatever), you could resume the process after rebooting. The transcodes also will proceed without MC running (set the BG to "always started"), but you need at least 32GB RAM to make it work the way it should. And on top of this: you could go on with your work in MC during transcode, but this will slow down the whole process a bit.

so long & thx

dbiok

[3x MediaComposer 2018.7 @ NitrisDX || HP Z800 Workstation (Dual XEON X5570) || Win10 64Bit] - [1x Symphony 2018.7 @ NitrisDX || HP Z800 Workstation (Dual... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller