Latest post Fri, Jul 13 2018 4:45 PM by JoGo. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 11 2018 12:53 PM

• JoGo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 11 2018
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20

Consolidate or transcode XAVC Intra?

Hello!

Preparing a documentary project with hours of material shot mostly on Sony FS7 - XAVC Intra 1920x1080 112 Mbps.

What do you experts suggest?

Should I consolidate and edit with the native codec?

Or transcode to DNxHD 36 (or DNxHR LB) and after picture lock relink to the camera files?

Any advantage to transcode besides saving drive space?

Will editing in the native XAVC codec in any way compromise the stability of the project?

Many thanks

Jonas

• Wed, Jul 11 2018 2:54 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 490
    • Points 6,200

Re: Consolidate or transcode XAVC Intra?

Personally, I always transcode to Avid-friendly media such as DNxHD36 as it's a much smoother editing experience. Many of these linked codecs tax the computer hardware to the point that real-time playback (and general performance) is compromised.

As with all workflows, I would do a quick test edit, just to make sure you can re-link back to the original camera rushes.

Of course, if you're going to an external grade in something like Resolve, you can leave the relinking to camera files to the Colourist.

HP Z800,HP8600,HP8760WSonnetFusion RAID, Mediadock U320, Classic Nitris Mojo DXSymphony 5,6 & 8.5 JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 12 2018 12:28 AM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 14 2014
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 139
    • Points 1,430

I have a large project underway where I have consolidated the native codecs, mostly prorez, ,(project started in vers 8.5 I think)

i have found the consolidated clips to be very unreliable. Often the project wakes up with some offline and I have to relink them.

More recently I have had the same problem with P2 clips on a much smaller project.

my advice = test or transcode

iMac Retina27 late 2017 4.5Gz i7 40GB AMD 8GB with Sata Raid OS 10.13.3 MC 2018.3 BMD mini monitor with Eizo monitor [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 12 2018 12:51 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,220
    • Points 39,080

Martin Fox:

I have a large project underway where I have consolidated the native codecs, mostly prorez, ,(project started in vers 8.5 I think)

i have found the consolidated clips to be very unreliable. Often the project wakes up with some offline and I have to relink them.

More recently I have had the same problem with P2 clips on a much smaller project.

my advice = test or transcode

Very odd.  I use consolidated ProRes from Arri cameras a lot.  No issues like you describe.  Just my .02 cents.

But to the OP.  I am not a fan of editing with XAVC even if consolidated.  Always feels a bit sluggish.  I transcode.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC 8.5.3 / 8.9.4 | OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown" QT 10.0... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Fri, Jul 13 2018 4:45 PM In reply to

• JoGo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 11 2018
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20

Ok thanks for your input!

Sounds like transcoding would be the best choice.

Jonas

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller