Latest post Thu, Jun 7 2018 2:11 AM by DStone. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jun 6 2018 4:08 AM

• Editortony
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 6 2018
    • Posts 1
    • Points 15

2 monitors plus client monitor using imac 27"

I am considering switching Media Composer from my PC which has 2 monitors plus a third 4k client monitor powered by the Blackmagic 4k extreme PCI card. 

To either a 27” iMac or an iMac Pro with the same monitor configuration. 

With the PC the Blackmagic card cost me something under $200 and I get a 4K output to my client monitor, however if I want to achieve the same thing using the iMac I will be forced to buy either a Blackmagic Ultra 4K for $1000 or if I want to use the Thunderbolt 3 a 4K Extreme 3 for $3000.

Am I missing something?

Tony Hayman.

• Thu, Jun 7 2018 2:11 AM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,455
    • Points 44,530
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: 2 monitors plus client monitor using imac 27"

This is the problem with all-in-one designs. The only expansion options are USB 3 or Thunderbolt.

There is one possibly less expensive solution, and that's to get a PCIe expansion box for Thunderbolt. These let you add PCIe cards in an external enclosure. Not all cards will necessarily be supported. The usual case for this is to add additional GPUs, but the BMD Intensity Pro 4K might work. Or not. You can ask BMD if anyone's tried this and if it's supported. A TB to PCIe box will set you back about US $200 (unless you opt for a bigger case and power supply).

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller