Latest post Mon, May 28 2018 3:42 PM by Matt. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, May 14 2018 8:16 PM

• Matt
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 6 2015
    • Toronto
    • Posts 28
    • Points 325

AMA linked still images disconnect after closing project

I recently ran into a (possible) bug when AMA linking and re-linking to hi res JPEGs. Parts of my show uses still images downloaded from stock image companies (Getty, etc). I've been roughing in sequences using watermarked stills. I AMA link to the jpegs, then use the frameflex tool to animate pan and zoom effects.

Once cuts are approved, we buy and download the un-watermarked version of the jpegs. Rather than AMA link to these new files, and re-do the animation, I thought I'd be clever and use the "re-link to file(s)" command. Even though the file names are different, this trick works like a charm. Once I point an AMA clip to a new jpeg, my timeline updates with un-watermarked footage. All the keyframing I've done, even if the pixel dimensions of the source files are different, is preserved.

The only problem seems to be that when I close the project and re-open, all the newly re-linked images go offline. Reconnecting isn't a big deal, but it's a hassle. Now we have to check these parts of the timeline every time we launch a project, or risk having exports that contain offline media.

Anyone ever seen this, or know of a fix?

Thanks,
    Matt 

Mac Pro (late 2013) |OS X 10.12.6 Sierra | 32 GB RAM | Dual AMD FirePro D500 | | MC 2018.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, May 15 2018 10:38 AM In reply to

Re: AMA linked still images disconnect after closing project

You might try this:

In Link settings, uncheck 'Enable Linked Media Management'. Quit. In MacHD>Users>Shared>AvidMediaComposer, delete the folders in the folder 'AMA Managment'. Relaunch and see if that works. If you are on an older version that lacks that Link setting, there is a Console command to do this.

iMac i5 27", 24GB RAM, OS 10.13.6 with Symphony 2018.12, BlackMagic mini monitor. MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM with OS 10.13.6 with MC 2018.5 and BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]

With best wishes, Roger Shufflebottom

ACI, Technical Tutor (Editing), Faculty of Media and Communication, Bournemouth University, Dorset, UK

• Mon, May 28 2018 3:42 PM In reply to

• Matt
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 6 2015
    • Toronto
    • Posts 28
    • Points 325

Re: AMA linked still images disconnect after closing project

Thanks Roger, I never definitively solved this issue, but turning off AMA management did not help. What did seem to help was I created a new bin and alt-dragged (option on a mac) the un-watermarked jpegs into it to create new links to the stills. Having these "new" master clips of the media, in addition to the re-linked original master clips, seemed to help stabilize the project and files stopped going offline. My testing wasn't very scientific, so I could say for sure how repeatable this "solution" is.

Mac Pro (late 2013) |OS X 10.12.6 Sierra | 32 GB RAM | Dual AMD FirePro D500 | | MC 2018.4 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller