Latest post Thu, Apr 26 2018 10:22 AM by pierreh. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 24 2018 5:06 PM

• Adam Cravens
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, May 1 2014
    • Burbank, CA, USA
    • Posts 14
    • Points 175

mac based ingest station

I would like to purchase a new AVID workstation primarily for the purpose of ingesting footage via AMA - usually ProRes that gets transcoded to DNX 36 for offline, sometimes 4K XAVC via the same path. We sometimes need to use Resolve to create screeners from the footage and do other conversions. We usually ingest from a gigabit connected NAS to a dual GigE connected Isis. We're pretty much exclusively MAC based so I would prefer to stay that way, so my question is, what mac would be ideally suited to this task and what upgrades would give the most bang for the buck? Would an Imac pro be worth the extra money here or would a specced out standard Imac be fine for this job?

3.5 GHz Core i7 Imac, Late 2013 / 32 GB / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2048 MB / OS X 10.11.6 / MC 8.9.4 / AJA IOXT [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 26 2018 10:22 AM In reply to

• pierreh
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Paris, London
    • Posts 1,214
    • Points 14,695

Re: mac based ingest station

At the moment, it's not an easy decision to make.

Apple is not showing positive signs that they will deliver a new Mac Pro which goes beyond an iMac sprayed in black. Also, their passive-agressive war with Nvidia punishes the users as we don't get the full benefits from CUDA in apps that use it - like Resolve which you mention.

So quite frankly, if the machine you're looking into buying is going to be hidden in a machine room where it just crunches data, going for a supported PC would give you a way better return for your money.

And that's coming from a pretty hardcore Mac supporter...

- Work: MacPro 2010 3.46Ghz 12 Cores 48Gig mem, int and ext Raids, Mojo DX, 10.12.6 - Home: MacBookPro 2.5Ghz quad-i7, 16Gig Mem and SSD OSX 10.9.5 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller