Latest post Wed, Mar 21 2018 9:54 PM by dwainem. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Mar 16 2018 11:35 PM

• dwainem
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 16 2018
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

Can Old Unity Hard Drives Be Used As Standard Drives?

I've seen (old) questions in this forum about replacing Unity hard drives with COTS drives, and see the warnings that the Unity drives have Avid firmware on them, so you can't use standard drives. 

I have an opportunity to aquire some old Unity chassis with 1TB drives in them. Would those drives work as standard hard drives in a normal computer? I'm guessing a normal drive controller probably won't care about the Avid fw, but wondering if anyone has done this and knows for sure? 

Thanks! 

• Wed, Mar 21 2018 3:37 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,555
    • Points 65,145

Re: Can Old Unity Hard Drives Be Used As Standard Drives?

Hi dwainem and welcome to the forums. From Avid day one, back at the time when a 3 GB (!) Avid external drive was priced around euro 4.500,00 (!!!), the Avid drives have misterious firmware. Avid claimed that their turnkey systems would only work with Avid drives, and support was denied for editing systems equipped with non Avid drives! Nonetheless Media Composer worked flawlessly with third party HDs, and Avid drives pulled off their beautiful Avid case used to happily work as ordinary hard drives when recycled. While such drives were detected as Avid brand, they were in fact Micropolis (and later on Seagate) according to the manufacturer sticker, surely the firmware was Avid, but other than having the HD detected and reported as an Avid drive, it is unclear what the firmware magic was. Can't tell if the same applies to Unity drives, but, if I may, would You trust an old hard disk that's been working hard long hours for quite some time to store Your precious data? Surprise

Regards, Luca

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Wed, Mar 21 2018 5:48 PM In reply to

• dwainem
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

Hi Luca,

Thanks for your welcome and response. 

Yes, I realize they are old drives, but I'm not planning to use them for mission criitcal stuff. Just work drives to test various sw on. If I can get a bunch cheap, it's better than paying $50 for new ones. 

These are in an auction, so I'll throw a bid in and see what happens. If I get them, I'll let you know how they work. 

Regards,

Dwaine

• Wed, Mar 21 2018 7:19 PM In reply to

Avid uses standard enterprise drives for all their storage servers. The firmware is just to maintain control. If you want to use the hard drive for a desktop computer it is fine.

For mission critical stuff, I highly suggest you dont as it is probably very old and worn.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 21 2018 9:54 PM In reply to

• dwainem
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

Thanks Dom!

Dwaine

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller