Latest post Mon, Feb 19 2018 10:58 AM by luca.mg. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 14 2018 7:18 AM

• ADG
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 14 2018
    • Posts 7
    • Points 135

Hard Drive setup/allocation + Workflow

Hello,

Sorry if this has been answered before but I have found lots of conflicting information and would greatly appreciate some help.

I am getting a PC built for Media Composer editing from my home studio.

I was wondering which type of Internal Hard drives I should get built into this PC and the best workflow for efficiency. Would it be more beneficial to run an external raid type setup and only have the internal ssd for the operating system etc? A good backup system is also required. 

I understand that having a ssd for the operating system and software makes sense. But I am confused which options to use for projects, media storage, rendering, consolodation, archiving etc etc. 

I have a budget of approximately 5k for the PC and storage.

Thanks for your help.

ADG

• Wed, Feb 14 2018 10:44 PM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 14 2014
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 198
    • Points 2,090

Re: Hard Drive setup/allocation + Workflow

Here is my hard drive set up (using external sata 4 bay x 3, all drives are removable )

Drive ‘1’ is the project drive: graphics, photos music, camera originals, basically all the project assets, backed up everyday 

Drive 2  video meadia drive (Avidmediafiles folder) 

Drive 3 Audio meadia drive (Avidmediafiles folders

Drive 4 render drive

next 4 bay case has a fast raid for high Rez media when uprezing long form stories

next 4 bay has consolidate and archive drives

The basic idea here is to have the dives separated into those that are reading and those that are writing, for example ;

camera originals are read from the project drive  (using the “link” command) and written (transcoded) to the media drives, another example, when rendering, the media is read from the media drives an written to the render drive, another example, when consolidating, the media is written to the consolidate drive.

You don’t really need the raid drive, unless you are working on high Rez or long projects.

Workflow

link to the camera originals

Transcode camera original to appropriate avid media

import music graphics etc

edit

render out approvals ( I still use reference quick times and a external media encoder to make mpeg4 movs)

Up Rez and export

Consolidate and archive the ‘edit’ , and the original project assets 

Wish it was that simple

iMac Retina27 late 2017 4.5Gz i7 40GB AMD 8GB with Sata Raid OS 10.13.4 MC 2018.3 BMD mini monitor with Eizo monitor [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 16 2018 11:40 AM In reply to

• ADG
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 14 2018
    • Posts 7
    • Points 135

Thanks for the information.

The setup I was planning was.

Internal Hard Drive 1 - ssd 500g - Operating system and applications

Internal Hard Drive 2 - 2tb - Projects

Nas 4x 4tb = 16tb (for all my media, exports and archive).

External 2tb drive - for renders/cache etc

Does this look ok for a small/medium budget setup?

• Mon, Feb 19 2018 1:39 AM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 14 2014
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 198
    • Points 2,090

Difficult to say if it’s okay for small set up depends on the size of the work you’re doing.

Couple of points, have you tried the nas connection with the Rez you want to cut at?

2tb seems a bit small to me, for a project drive, 3-4 tb seems like the sweet spot for price per gig in my country

you can always expand! I find the write speed of the render and export drives to be important, to make that process efficient, as my cuts for approval are often over an hour, and to meet deadlines , Speed is essential.

let us know how you go...

iMac Retina27 late 2017 4.5Gz i7 40GB AMD 8GB with Sata Raid OS 10.13.4 MC 2018.3 BMD mini monitor with Eizo monitor [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 19 2018 10:58 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,352
    • Points 62,775

ADG:

Internal Hard Drive 1 - ssd 500g - Operating system and applications

Internal Hard Drive 2 - 2tb - Projects

Hard drive 1 will be enough for OS and projects, drive 2 could be better used to hold mediafiles, provided that it's at least a two disks stripe

ADG:
    Nas 4x 4tb = 16tb (for all my media, exports and archive)

can't tell if the particular NAS You're using has enough throughput, these devices are usually meant for backup, speed is not their priority. If You did not purchase already make sure that it's a box equipped with fast connections and fast hard drives; You may roll Your own searching the web for information on fast boxes and choosing fast HDs. If You do not need to share mediafiles over the network with multiple workstations at once You may be better off with an external RAID array, eventually sharing the disk to exchange files with other workstations over Your lan. You may get away with an "ordinary" NAS if working with lightweight proxies.

ADG:
    External 2tb drive - for renders/cache etc

if that is a single disk and not a RAID array, You'll be better off to dedicate such a disk to audio mediafiles only, requireng less throughput than video, just make sure that the box has fast connections and is equipped with a 7200 rpm disk instead of 5400 like the cheaper boxes around.

Symphony 2018.5, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller