Latest post Wed, Jan 31 2018 2:56 PM by SR555. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jan 30 2018 3:37 AM

• SR555
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 28 2013
    • Posts 211
    • Points 2,360

Improve slowness when color correcting AMA?

Very slow when trying to color correct onlined clips.  Sometimes taking a full minute or two just to complete one action such moving the blue bar to choose a clip.  Is there a solution or workflow for better performance?  I have turned the display option to yellow and also turned off waveforms in the timeline.  Thx  =)

Avid Media Composer 7, Macbook Pro Retina, Mountain Lion [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 30 2018 9:49 AM In reply to

• BenoitM
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 1,133
    • Points 13,690

Re: Improve slowness when color correcting AMA?

Long sequence with many edits ? Long AMA clip ? Long GOP codec (e.g. H.264) ? Is the main audio track part of the AMA source ?

When doing these I avoid CC'ing online with AMA sources, it can indeed cause very long response times: either I CC with the proxy res used during editing, or after relinking and transcoding to final (higher) quality DNxHD. Also, making sure you do not use the audio from the AMA source helps: use uncompressed MXF audio instead.

My 5 cents...

MC 2018.5 (Symphony option)/BCC 10.0.5/RED 5.6; Matrox MXO2 Mini (8.0.0); DELL Precision M4700 - Intel Core i7-3740QM 2.7 GHz - 24 GB RAM; nVidia Quadro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 30 2018 12:19 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,341
    • Points 62,670

Laptop specs please, and where do You store the footage?

Symphony 2018.5, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Tue, Jan 30 2018 1:56 PM In reply to

• SR555
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 211
    • Points 2,360

It would be so much better if there was a waveform you could load outside of CC mode so you could see your levels, then only go in for what you need to correct.

Yes, yes yes and yes to your questions.   2 hour sequence, various AMA'd Quicktimes, Mp4s,Avid DVs, h264s.  Yes, all AMA'd audio.  

The footage right now is mostly on one of two Western Digital USB drives, with the Avid Mediafiles folder and a few smaller pieces of footage on the second drive, which is mainly for outputting.   The main project folder and the Attic are on my hard drive.

The project is pretty much completely AMA'd, and is now in the online stage.  The project files themselves are very long (several hundred files ranging from a few seconds to about 50 that are several hours long) - but my workflow was to subclip, transcode and edit offline, although there are some portions of the sequence later that were edited in directly from the source file.  The project (and the sources except for a few files which have been downsized) is exclusively standard definition.  The sequence is 720x486, Dv50 going to DVD.

System Specs:  Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro10,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 16 GB

Boot ROM Version: MBP101.00EE.B09

SMC Version (system): 2.3f36

Avid Media Composer 7, Macbook Pro Retina, Mountain Lion [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 30 2018 4:26 PM In reply to

• BenoitM
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 1,133
    • Points 13,690

I'm running on a 5+ years old laptop (Windows), and when AMA-relinking long HD sequences with many edits on long AMA clips, yes things tend to be sluggish; if you don't want to transcode to a online res codec before CC, from my experience, at least putting audio out of the equation may help a bit (transcode the audio to uncompressed MXF), otherwise consider transcoding to 1:1 or 2:1 MXF (or even DV50) before CC/grading.

My 2 additional cents...

MC 2018.5 (Symphony option)/BCC 10.0.5/RED 5.6; Matrox MXO2 Mini (8.0.0); DELL Precision M4700 - Intel Core i7-3740QM 2.7 GHz - 24 GB RAM; nVidia Quadro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 30 2018 10:04 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,341
    • Points 62,670

Colour correction on top of a long sequence of linked footage running on an ageing laptop? This is not the proper recipe for snappy performance, Sorry mate.

Symphony 2018.5, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Wed, Jan 31 2018 12:23 AM In reply to

• SR555
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 211
    • Points 2,360

THank you Luca and Benoit. I will work with the audio next time and maybe that will help matters.  Never even considered that as a factor but I can see how that might slow things down. For now, it's already edited but once the final changes are made there I guess I could do an audio mixdown and use that as the audio in a new sequence, with the other audio tracks deleted out.

Benoit, what's your workflow when you transcode the audio?

Luca, what would you recommend as a workflow?

• Wed, Jan 31 2018 2:16 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,341
    • Points 62,670

What do You have to deliver?

peace luca

• Wed, Jan 31 2018 3:49 AM In reply to

• SR555
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 211
    • Points 2,360

DVD

• Wed, Jan 31 2018 8:27 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,341
    • Points 62,670

If It was me, I'd transcode the sequence to 2:1, it's going to take some time and some room, but You'll work comfortably soon after, provided that Your WD drives can cope with the required data rate. You May need to render the CC effects as You go, but that would be required anyway prior to export for DVD authoring.

peace luca

• Wed, Jan 31 2018 12:37 PM In reply to

• SR555
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 211
    • Points 2,360

Thank you.   Would that generally be your workflow then - Make all sequence changes, transcode to a finishing resolution, and do your color correction on that?

Yeah I think Benoit may have hit the nail on the head earlier with the suggestion of long files and h264.  CCing a portion of the sequence now that is going just fine - but the eariler portion that dragged and crashed was linked to a 2 hour h264 file.  As are several coming up.   So good to know what can cause this, for next time.  

• Wed, Jan 31 2018 12:57 PM In reply to

• BenoitM
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 1,133
    • Points 13,690

SR555:
    Make all sequence changes, transcode to a finishing resolution, and do your color correction on that?

Yes I work this way whenever possible (but sometimes I still keep some AMA clips until final render/export, and hence, also for CC - when I have specific reasons to do that). This allows me to work with satisfactory performance despite my 'ageing system' Wink

• Wed, Jan 31 2018 2:56 PM In reply to

• SR555
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 211
    • Points 2,360

In an ironic twist, the game of wacamole I'm trying to play to keep the AMA source clips linked - they seem to have a mind of their own and go offline whenever they feel like it - has worked in my favor for color correction.  Just now the first half of the sequence threw itself offline for no reason, in its never ending bid to annoy me.   Now the sequence is color correcting faster. 

Could maybe be a strategy as well next time the cc is slow. 

Hey do most people go outside of MC for color correction?  Also, the scopes are really tiny. 

Update: I was able to color correct the whole sequence with no trouble at all, with the first part of it offline.  However, it looks like crap, with lots of artifacts.   Going to transcode to 2:1 as suggested and see if that gives better quality. 

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller