Latest post Wed, Jan 31 2018 6:31 PM by carcharias. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 15 2018 8:32 PM

• carcharias
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 7 2014
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 15
    • Points 225

Changing source name w/out re-ingesting so I can properly group

Hi! Short question: is it possible to change the source media name so I can properly group audio/video on seperate tracks? I've used GroupItForMe for this final process, but the group only has each camera on one track and each audio on one track (see attached photo which is actually multiple audio and video tracks). I want each audio/video on seperate tracks but they say it's because my source media doesn't have target tracks on their original extension (ie "-1" for Track 1, "-5" for Track 5, etc). They also say this is the same if I manually group versus using them, but I don't remember having this problem before, which I could be wrong on.

My problem is I've spent a month over the jobless holidays importing, syncing, and prepping for grouping before this current edit. I now have a f/t job and can't go through all of this again for seperate tracks. Will I have to change the source names, re-ingest, and sync and group again? Or can I change the source name, relink it in AVID, and re-group so it comes out correct?

Using MC 7.0.5 on a Mac laptop. Shot on a 5D and used a Zoom recorder.

MacBook Pro 2.8GHz Intel Core i7 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 AMD Radeon R9 M370X [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , ,
  • Mon, Jan 15 2018 11:04 PM In reply to

Re: Changing source name w/out re-ingesting so I can properly group

What is it you want your timeline to look like, specifically?

Do you want to end up with Group clip edits on timeline that have, say, A1-4 from your Zoom, plus 5,6,7,8 from other sources? And would those 5-8 sources be the ones you believe you can rename/ Relink or Clip/Modify? 

I have tried that with no luck, but I did wind up with a useful workaround.(see below)

i’m pretty sure you need to have at least one source with All 8 Tracks, in order to be able to drop-down select 5-8 on your GroupClip.

i did try Modifying tracks from say 1&2 to 5&6, but had no luck once Groupclipped.

Re: Video- In my experience, you have to switch banks to reveal different video sources, but you do not get All 2, 3, whatever.

unless you were referring to AutoSync... which as I recall (from like 15 years ago), could make a multi-video track AutoSync sub clip—- but that might not be possible with today’s software.

The Audio trick I used was Exporting a Multi-track WAV, from the sources I knew I would need easy access to on the timeline, then including that WAV in the original GroupClip.

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 16 2018 2:18 AM In reply to

• carcharias
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 15
    • Points 225

Thanks for your reply! What I'm trying to do is what's been done on other things I've edited - each audio track is on a seperate track in the timeline, and each video track is on a seperate track, so they all look "stacked" in the timeline. (Please know I'm a producer switching from FCP Studio 7 to Avid so still learning this, espeially the AE side). Attached is a bad photo from a stringout I was doing on another project for a company. All audio tracks are seen. It looks like the AE DID number the files for the tracks, but I'm not sure if that was in the source media. Also looks like I'm remembering some of this wrong, and that the only way I can see all video is in quad-split on the cameras in the viewer - you seemed to have answered that part of the question, thank you. So, any way to have each audio trak appear in the timeline now that it's all been grouped, or will I have to live with my own mistakes for this project? Hopefully this makes sense.... 

MacBook Pro 2.8GHz Intel Core i7 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 AMD Radeon R9 M370X [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 16 2018 3:15 AM In reply to

Well, Im a bit confused as to what your last timeline actually represents - you said it’s a Stringout, OK but what do you intend to do with the string out? Further editing, usually, right? MC let’s you edit from 1 Sequence to another... you should know.

Or is this a limited project? What is the nature of the 8 tracks? At what point are you “done”?

Maybe GroupItForMe gave you a GroupClip based on a Sequence you carefully prepared.. 2 or more video tracks plus .maybe a total of 8 audio tracks, but your GroupClip probably only has “available” 2 (or 4) at a time.

why not make a copy of your initial “sync sequence”, but replace your video tracks with the video from your GroupItForMe Group-clip (in sync) and just edit Sequence to Sequence, to make that kind of Stringout where you can easily select the camera to see.

otherwise: to get yourself an 8-Trk audio Group-clip... it can be done, but it’s fussy to do and harder (for me) to explain.

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 31 2018 6:31 PM In reply to

• carcharias
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 15
    • Points 225

Yes, the stringout is for further editing. The picture above is how the AE's handed footage over to me so I can work on the stringout. It's also the same layout I hand over to the editor. It's this visual on the timeline of all tracks that I initially wanted for my own project which I'm working on that doesn't look like this after GroupItForMe. No worries, as next time I'll label each track better for the group. I ended up simply copying the main track which held everyone's audio, placing them on seperate tracks, and then choosing which character I wanted to hear. Thankfully, all tracks snapped to the original track so it ends up being exactly the way I want, aside from taking a few extra steps. 

I appreciate your responses - definitely a big help! Thank you!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller