Latest post Sun, Jan 14 2018 12:02 AM by carcharias. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Dec 30 2017 1:26 AM

Won't sync audio

Still earning this system, but haven't found an answer though this forum or Google yet.

I have two cameras w/ audio (Canon 5D), along w/ audio recorded on a Zoom (L/R & lav). I place all in a timeline to group, but our clap-slate is off by less than a frame and I can't nudge ANY of the four into sync. The waveforms should make this easy, but slipping them together is impossible. PluralEyes doesn't support Avid so felt it would be easy to eyeball on my own. What am I doing wrong?

I'm working with Avid MC 7.0.5.

Filed under:
  • Sat, Dec 30 2017 10:43 PM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 1 2007
    • Los Angeles CA / Minneapolis MN
    • Posts 2,102
    • Points 22,610

Re: Won't sync audio

Cant tell by the photo but are the heads of the audio tracks hitting the start line if so just trim a bitoff the heards then sync

Mac Pro 3.5 gig 6 core 64 gig ram D700 radons with ssd os drive with a 20 tb raid, Artist Mix and Artist color Artist control [view my complete system specs]

Tom Pearson

Director/Writer Big Picture Films

Sound Designer/Sound Editor Hollywood Sounds

WWLD

• Sun, Dec 31 2017 8:41 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,246
    • Points 61,590

Not in front of a system right now to be more precise, but You can slip sync up to 4/4 of frame by 1/4 increments; it used to be a film project only option, recently ported to non film projects, and used to be called 'Perf Slip' if memory serves.

Symphony 2018.4, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Sun, Dec 31 2017 11:41 AM In reply to

From memory isn't the 5D audio not alweays accurate anyway? You may find using that to sync and you still have sync issues.

Its important to check the sync against picture first to be sure you are aligning to something accurate.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Symphony V8.6 / 8.3.1 HP Z400 system [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Sun, Dec 31 2017 4:59 PM In reply to

carcharias:

Still earning this system, but haven't found an answer though this forum or Google yet.

I have two cameras w/ audio (Canon 5D), along w/ audio recorded on a Zoom (L/R & lav). I place all in a timeline to group, but our clap-slate is off by less than a frame and I can't nudge ANY of the four into sync. The waveforms should make this easy, but slipping them together is impossible. PluralEyes doesn't support Avid so felt it would be easy to eyeball on my own. What am I doing wrong?

I'm working with Avid MC 7.0.5.

I cannot remember it, but there is definitely a Modifier+key combo than when used while on a Timeline highlighted track, will expand/contract the size and visibility of the waveform. Also the Track Sizes for your 3 different sources has an impact and should probably be equal among those  tracks.

BUT:

as Pat H. indicated, the key to syncing is the picture. Especially with DSLRs. As he mentioned, even if you were able to find and maintain perfect waveform sync across your two cameras and your external recorder source, it doesn’t guarantee the associated Grouped pictures will look in sync. 

You didn’t say what the content of your shoot was, but if dialog, you may know that the best words to verify picture sync begin with P or B ... just about as good as a clapper because the lips will always need to open on the very start of words like “Pie” or “Bye”....unless it’s a ventriloquist.

Win 7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Also:___ Windows 7 Pro x64 Dell T3400 workstation E8400 3.0 Ghz 4GB Ram,... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Dec 31 2017 7:15 PM In reply to

Best of all use a clapper board. A simple device. Easy to use and perfect for the job.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Symphony V8.6 / 8.3.1 HP Z400 system [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Mon, Jan 1 2018 9:44 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,246
    • Points 61,590

Yes indeed, a clapper will make things easier, and it'll show that the camera audio of the 5D is recorded not in sync with the picture.

Symphony 2018.4, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Mon, Jan 1 2018 12:32 PM In reply to

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 1 2018 2:15 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:

Thanks. I can’t wait to see exactly how all the new tools: Group by Waveform and Source Slip 

http://resources.avid.com/SupportFiles/attach/WhatsNew_MediaComposer_v8.9.pdf (See Performing Audio Slip).

are designed to work together. Are they now fully integrated or still a work in progress? Is the new Sub-Frame Sample Rate Slip tool going to allow perfecting Group by Waveform GroupClips? What’s that workflow in light of DSLR audio offsets?

-And can the new Slip tool be used on an edit by edit basis on the timeline or is that not practical? 

Lots to learn and share in 2018....

Hoping M. at 24p has an updated post in the works...

Win 7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Also:___ Windows 7 Pro x64 Dell T3400 workstation E8400 3.0 Ghz 4GB Ram,... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 1 2018 6:35 PM In reply to

The extremely helpful Michael P. at 24p.com must have read your mind (or these forums): http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=280

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 1 2018 9:34 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:

The extremely helpful Michael P. at 24p.com must have read your mind (or these forums): http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=280

No one sweats the details like MP....the true archangel of Avid!

• Sun, Jan 14 2018 12:02 AM In reply to

Yup, you're correct! We would at least clap slate every time with every camera, but the 5D is definitely 1-3 frames off at all times. Soooooo, like turn blinkers at a stoplight, they're in sync for a bit and then slip out again. The waves in this photo can't be lined up... they're either a tad too early or a tad too late - something I'll have to live with due to the shortcomings of the gear.

I appreciate everyone's help because it was huge! Still need to watch the link posted below. Thank you, again! 

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller