Latest post Sat, Dec 30 2017 5:52 PM by dougw9wi. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Dec 28 2017 11:06 PM

• dougw9wi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 28 2017
    • Posts 6
    • Points 50

New Assist client can't see media

We have an ISIS/Interplay system with roughly 20 editing clients and a similar number of Assist clients, all of which work fine and have done so for years.

We are attempting to add a new Assist client.  I have installed the ISIS client, the Framework, Access, and then Assist.

ISIS works fine.  When I run Assist, I get "Could not connect to the Media Indexer".  (and as expected, it comes up anyway and lists all the media and shows the headframes, but if you try to play it, it's all MEDIA OFFLINE)

Sure enough, if I go into Avid Service Configuration and try to restart the Media Indexer service...  it isn't there. 

I can't figure out how to get this service installed. 

(help!) 

• Thu, Dec 28 2017 11:33 PM In reply to

Re: New Assist client can't see media

Have you setup the framework correctly?

Assist should find the media indexer setings through the MI Connection URL setting in the Interplay Administrator tool. As the other systems work they should be ok, but checking never harms.

Have you disabled the firewall on the client?

You also need to launch assist once under the administrator account before using it in other accounts.

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

Avid reseller ACSR at Telmaco

http://www.telmaco.gr/en/

• Fri, Dec 29 2017 4:03 PM In reply to

• dougw9wi
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 50

- "Have you setup the framework correctly?"

Probably not.....

- "...MI Connection URL setting in the Interplay Administrator tool."

I can't find this..  I mean, I can navigate the Interplay Administrator tool but I don't see anything about the Media Indexer in it.  

- "Have you disabled the firewall on the client?"

It's a domain machine (so are the ones that work), Corporate has it locked down in a way that this isn't possible.  (but the firewall is configured in the same way on the machines that work)

- "You also need to launch assist once under the administrator account..."

Tried this.  I get the same error when logged in as administrator.  

I strongly suspect an error in the framework configuration.  I have some experience administrating/maintaining existing parts of the system but wasn't involved in the initial installation of the working systems.  I have some notes, some of which are contradictory.  

• Sat, Dec 30 2017 5:52 PM In reply to

• dougw9wi
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 50

Turns out that part of the issue was that Media Indexer installs as a separate client - I thought it installed with the rest of the Framework.

So I can now attach to the HAG; I no longer get the can't find Media Indexer error; and if I click in the timeline in the monitor window I do see a still from the clip, as appropriate for where in the timeline I clicked.

But if I try to play it...

CPU usage spikes to 100% for about five seconds & the machine essentially freezes.  (not even the mouse cursor works.  There isn't much that can do that!)  In about 5 seconds CPU usage drops back to normal (about 5-10%) and I get my machine back, but the video still isn't playing.  

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller