Latest post Wed, Feb 7 2018 7:09 PM by Job ter Burg. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Dec 27 2017 6:09 PM

• Doug Abel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 14
    • Points 140

Disable command-P to print (will give up firstborn for this)

The last time I had to print my timeline the millenium date started with "19" and I had a lot more hair.

But in hastily hitting the default keyboard shortcut to enlarge the timeline, I sometimes do command-P by accident, and if I'm especially lucky it'll be 2 or 3 times in a row to really zoom in. Then I have to wait while the system digs up the print dialog and have to cancel the 2 or 3 requests. This happens to me at least 5 times a day, and so I've had to learn curse words in that many different languanges to keep things interesting.

So... how about at least an option to turn that pretty useless shortut off? This has been one of my Pet Peeves for literally 20 years.

• Thu, Dec 28 2017 1:21 AM In reply to

Re: Disable command-P to print (will give up firstborn for this)

Stuff like this is important, so +1

otoh, have you ever tried using a third party macro program to “hijack” that key combo and do....nothing? 

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 13 2018 12:19 AM In reply to

• Doug Abel
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 14
    • Points 140

That could work but I freelance around so that would be clumsy.

• Sat, Jan 13 2018 3:27 AM In reply to

Doug Abel:
    This happens to me at least 5 times a day, and so I've had to learn curse words in that many different languanges to keep things interesting.

A suggested temporary workaround.  Map enlarge and reduce time line to individual (non modifier)key strokes. I use up and down arrow keys. Very rapid to use and could easily get rid of at least 5 of your daily frustrations.

I have not used Command-P for years and do not know anyone who has making Command P a wasted preset. +1

• Wed, Feb 7 2018 7:01 PM In reply to

• Doug Abel
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 14
    • Points 140

Good idea!

I freelance a lot and don't always have my settings file handy so try to keep most of the default keystokes, but that's one worth mapping.

• Wed, Feb 7 2018 7:09 PM In reply to

Some time in the 1990's, when I too had more hair, I remapped More/Less Detail in the Timeline to PageUp and PageDn. And hit those puppies all day long.

Still would not be a bad idea to be able to disable certain shortcuts.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller