Latest post Thu, Dec 14 2017 11:00 AM by NM. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Dec 13 2017 11:13 AM

• NM
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Oct 29 2017
    • Posts 5
    • Points 55

Lagging & Red Lines on my timeline!

Hello, 

I've been using avid media composer (8.9.4) for not too long now. 

I have a macbook pro (version 10.12.6). I didn't have a lot of space left on my laptop, so decided to buy a hard drive to use instead of saving projects on my mac. I had just bought a 5TB Seagate Portable Back Up Plus, and started a new project using this hard-drive. 

I have a canon 5D mark 4 and shot all my footage on 1920x1080 HD.

I set up the new project on external and placed it on my hard drive with the following steps: 

Format - 1080p/50

Raster Dimension: 1920x1080

Firstly, I linked all my footage (there are around 500 clips) without importing and noticed that there was a lot of lagging and that there were red lines on my timeline. I thought that maybe linking the footage was the problem, so I decided to take my time and import all the clips again. 

However, the same problem occured. The playback on my timeline would lag and there are red lines being shown.

I have tried researching and tried a couple of things I have read (Eg, expertrender and changing the video quality to all yellow) and these have not seemed to work.. 

I am not very advanced on avid and am just starting to get used to it, so I would love it if someone can help me with this issue (I'm not very great at the technical lingo - sorry). 

I have done a couple projects before this (never using an external hard drive) and never experienced this problem. 

Is the hard drive the issue? Or have a done something wrong with the setting in starting the project or importing the footage? 

Please help!

Thank you very much! 

• Wed, Dec 13 2017 5:33 PM In reply to

Re: Lagging & Red Lines on my timeline!

With media drives its the sustained transfer speed and the seek times that have an impact for media playback.

For that Seagate it claims around 110MBps to 185MBps but that drops to 50MBps with random reads factored in.

AMA linking of H264 content is down to processing power and less to do with drive speed as the files are normally low datarate comparitively.

I wouldn't import I'd AMA link and then transcode as it gives a smoother quicker reconform route.

What resolution/datarate did you import the clips in at? 

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Thu, Dec 14 2017 10:53 AM In reply to

• NM
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 55

Thank you for your reply!

So you suggest I start the project again, and instead of importing I would AMA Link and then transcode? Will that allow for smooth playback and remove the red lines? I had AMA linked it before I had imported, but there was still lagging when I had done that. However, I had not transcoded the clips, so I can try that. 

The resolution that I had imported the clips was 1:1 MXF. Should I have imported the clips in another resolution? Which one would you suggest? 

Is there any way I can fix the lagging now or would you suggest to start a new project and start all over?

I can start the project over again, just wondering exactly what the best way to do it would be for no lagging. I'm guessing that would be the AMA linking and then transcoding? 

Thank you again!

• Thu, Dec 14 2017 11:00 AM In reply to

• NM
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 55

And also, 

What settings do I chose when I transcode the clips?

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller