Latest post Mon, Jan 7 2019 11:29 PM by George Angeludis. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jun 8 2017 1:25 PM

Renaming a Project

I'm embarressed to admit I don't know how to rename an existing project.   Do I simply rename the project's folder in the Avid Projects master folder and then reopen Avid?

MC 2018.4 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system drive... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Thu, Jun 8 2017 1:35 PM In reply to

Re: Renaming a Project

There are a few steps:

1. Rename the project folder

2. Inside the project folder, rename the project file (the one that ends .avp)

3. Inside the project folder, rename the project settings file (the one that ends .xml)

One thing to note is that any media you created using the old project name will still be associated with the old project name. So, for example, if you change the project name from Florida to Nebraska, all the media you created prior to the name change will still be associated with Florida. (I hope that makes sense.)

Media Composer 2018.12.1 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Thu, Jun 8 2017 2:33 PM In reply to

I'm glad I asked.  I forgot about steps 2 & 3.  Thanks!

MC 2018.4 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system drive... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Thu, Jun 8 2017 3:26 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,233
    • Points 15,560
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

It's actually an old school gag to play on someone. Sneak into a fellow editor's room on April Fool's day, and rename the project's "_.avp" file to something goofy. Does no harm.

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: Follow @heybove

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD

• Mon, Jan 7 2019 10:57 PM In reply to

Is there a way to completelly associate the old projects (Media Files) files with the new name?

And not having the old name popping next to the new one at Media Tool?

I mean to completelly vanish the old name.

I haven't found a way.

Desktop PC

Corsair RM750X|Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)|i7 2600K@4.4|Corsair 32G DDR3|PNY Quadro P2000(390.77)|Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB|2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0|2x500GB Mushkin SSD@RAID 0|LG BH16NS40|W10 Pro 64bit|Media Composer Software 2018.12 with Symphony Option on Dongle|2xHP 22'' Monitors|M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Mon, Jan 7 2019 11:12 PM In reply to

No. all media created has the ingest project name embedded.

You can rename a project (my prefered way is to male a new project of the required name and then just move the bins across.

The consolidate all the media to make new copies flagged with the new project name.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Mon, Jan 7 2019 11:29 PM In reply to

Hi Pat,

thanks that was my thought too but it takes a lot of work to do so.

So, think twice before naming a project.

Desktop PC

Corsair RM750X|Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)|i7 2600K@4.4|Corsair 32G DDR3|PNY Quadro P2000(390.77)|Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB|2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0|2x500GB Mushkin SSD@RAID 0|LG BH16NS40|W10 Pro 64bit|Media Composer Software 2018.12 with Symphony Option on Dongle|2xHP 22'' Monitors|M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller