Latest post Thu, May 18 2017 1:52 PM by cccu tech. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, May 16 2017 8:46 PM

• John Mac
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 177
    • Points 2,340

Project folder default

Hi I have a client desperate to change default file location for either Avid Projects or Attic backup. Is this possible on a Mac? Thank you  

John M

MC 8 Windows 7 Pro 64-bit i7 Intel Core 4 cores 3.5 GHz 16 Gb ram Nvidia quadro 4000 Matrox mini 6TB internal connected to SATA III ports [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 17 2017 4:17 PM In reply to

Re: Project folder default

You would use "External" from the Select project folder and navigate to the folder you would use.

"Private" goes to your home folder, "Shared" goes to your Shared folder.

And I believe the Attic will follow your selection. (At least it does when I use "External" on a networked drive.)

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Thu, May 18 2017 1:52 PM In reply to

• cccu tech
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 17 2011
    • Posts 118
    • Points 1,350

Re: Project folder default

We set up our workstations to move everything like this off to a non boot drive/partition, so yes this is totally possible.  It's not that straight forward though, i.e. you can't do it in Avid (that I'm aware of).

Kevin is correct in terms of selecting "External" for your project, but our Attic still stays local (in the default directory) unless we are using Avid Style spaces on our EditShare.

Otherwise, the most robust way to do this for "Private" and "Shared" projects, and the Attic, is to use "symlinks" - symbolic links - to redirect everything to a different location.  If the location disappears, or moves, the (sym)link will be broken so the location you are redirecting to needs to be permanent (like a second hard drive, or partition) and not dynamic (pen drive, portable hard drive, networked share) lest you have it attached everytime Avid is running.

The command to create a link is:

ln -s /path/to/original/ /path/to/link

To remove it is:

unlink /path/to/symlink/

Symlinks are basically like shortcuts on steroids and it's important to note that removing/deleting the symlink does not delete the files, it just removes the shortcut if you will.

Hope that helps!

Avid 5.5.3 Snow Leopard 10.6.8 2007 2x 2.8Ghx Quad Mac Pro 4GB Ram [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller