Latest post Fri, Jan 6 2017 12:50 AM by chuckkahn. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Dec 11 2016 9:35 PM

• chuckkahn
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Toronto
    • Posts 350
    • Points 3,870

backup Unity volumes to external drive on external computer over LAN

We have a Avid Media Composer 7.0.4 on a Mac Pro connected to Unity storage via fibrechannel.

This Mac Pro is on a LAN to which we also have a Mac Mini connected.

The question is:  Can we connect a firewire drive to the Mac Mini and connect over the LAN to the Mac Pro in order to back up the Unity volumes?   When we connect over the network we can see the Mac Pro's local Macintosh HD Volume but not the Unity mounted Volumes.  When we connect a firewire to the Mac Pro, the Mac Mini can see the firewire drive's partitions and backup those, but we are hesitant to connect the firewire drive to the Mac Pro while the Avid is running because the Avid may become confused over the two sets of Avid Mediafiles, the originals on the Unity volumes and the copies on the external firewire drive.  But if we could back over LAN from the Mac Mini, the Avid on the Mac Pro could still be running and not see the doubling up of media.

Avid Media Composer 2018.11 / Mac OS Sierra / MacPro5,1 / 6-Core Intel Xeon 2.66 GHz x2 / 64 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under:
  • Mon, Dec 12 2016 6:06 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,625
    • Points 18,630

Re: backup Unity volumes to external drive on external computer over LAN

If Avid is not running it isn't a problem. You can tackle this a couple of different ways. You can share the media drives on the Lanshare and give all your computers access to them. This is a hack and not recommended for accessing media online but fine for backup and offline access. I've done this - I know it works.  You could also set your mac mini up as an ethernet client. That would waste a licence. You could share the media drives on your Mac Pro and then access them from the Mac mini. That should work although I can't test it right now and has the disadvantage of need both the MacPro and MAcMini online.

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Tue, Jan 3 2017 10:01 AM In reply to

Why don't you share the firewire drive on the mac mini and copy all the media from the mac pro editing client to the share on the mac mini? Avid won't see the network mounted volume as a media drive (unless if you type alldrives into the console) so there is no problem there.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Fri, Jan 6 2017 12:50 AM In reply to

• chuckkahn
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Toronto
    • Posts 350
    • Points 3,870

Jeroen van Eekeres:

Why don't you share the firewire drive on the mac mini and copy all the media from the mac pro editing client to the share on the mac mini? Avid won't see the network mounted volume as a media drive (unless if you type alldrives into the console) so there is no problem there.

I don't have the network password for the mac mini.  Plus the firewire drive is intended as a backup for the mac pro and the mini has its own backup connected via usb 3.0.

Avid Media Composer 2018.11 / Mac OS Sierra / MacPro5,1 / 6-Core Intel Xeon 2.66 GHz x2 / 64 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller