Latest post Thu, Dec 15 2016 2:26 AM by smyers63. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Dec 10 2016 9:54 PM

• denniscasey
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • St. Paul, Minnesota
    • Posts 658
    • Points 8,370

Finally upgraded to MC 8.4.4 from 7.0.4--how to author Blu-ray??

Have stayed with MC 7.0.4 but just downloaded MC 8.4.4 (perpetual license holder). I am essentially advanced hobbyist but finally learned MC including using Avid DVD to author and burn Blu-Ray.  It appears MC 8.4.4 uses different method to author (if that is right term for setting chapter points to navigate, adding titles, etc) and burn DVD or Blu-ray.

As near as I can tell I somehow have to get timeline to New Blue FX that comes with MC 8.4.4 and then do authoring and then burn DVD/Blu-ray from New Blue or somehow get back to MC 8.4.4 to burn?? I know Avid DVD was old product (like me) but at least I understood how to use it.

Would appreciate work flow suggestions to author and burn DVD with MC 8.4.4.

Also, is MC 8.4.4 considered a stable product (I know it is not latest version)?

I put MC 8.4.4 on my Z Book 15 (Intel i7-4800MQ 2.7 GHz; 16 GB RAM; Nvidia Quadro K2100M; Win7 Pro 64 bit).

Thank you, Dennis

MC6.5.2 SYSTEM: Asus P6X58D Premium; Intel i7-930 2.8 Ghz; PNY FX1800 GPU;500 GB RAID 1 System Drives; 1 TB RAID 0 Media Drives; 12 GB triple channel RAM;... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Dec 11 2016 2:44 AM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,368
    • Points 43,485
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Finally upgraded to MC 8.4.4 from 7.0.4--how to author Blu-ray??

Dennis,

NewBlueFX is the company that makes the titler that Avid provides (basically replacing Marquee). There is no authoring solution provided with MC nowadays. If you have an old copy of Avid DVD that still runs you can use that. Otherwise you'll have to get another solution. TMPGEnc Author Works is a popular one. I'm sure you can find others as well.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Sun, Dec 11 2016 3:28 AM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 16 2006
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,475
    • Moderator: MCA PC

denniscasey:

Have stayed with MC 7.0.4 but just downloaded MC 8.4.4 (perpetual license holder). I am essentially advanced hobbyist but finally learned MC including using Avid DVD to author and burn Blu-Ray.  It appears MC 8.4.4 uses different method to author (if that is right term for setting chapter points to navigate, adding titles, etc) and burn DVD or Blu-ray.Would appreciate work flow suggestions to author and burn DVD with MC 8.4.4.

Also, is MC 8.4.4 considered a stable product (I know it is not latest version)?

MC 8.4.5 is the latest version of the 8.4.x branch.  I haven't used 8.4.x in a long time so I don't remember what, if any, troubles might have existed in any of that branch.  You can look at the readmes for 8.4.4 and 8.4.5 in the Download Center, I'd expect, as they're both available to download there.  By the way, 8.4.3, 8.4.4 and 8.4.5 were all released in the same month so you may find 8.4.5 a better bet for that version branch.

If you were already using Avid DVD with your earlier version of MC you should be able to simply continue using it (it's also available in the Download Center if you've lost it from your system somehow).  I haven't had success in a long time with the "Send to" options in MC since maybe before MC 7.  If that's the trouble you're having, export a QT reference movie to import into Avid DVD and go from there.  I think marks from MC are exported that way but I'm not sure.  It wouldn't take long to try it on a simple, short sequence.  You can add marks in Avid DVD if they're not carried in the QT ref export.

There are free and even some free open-source DVD authoring programs available, as well.  I've used DVDStyler (free open-source) as well as WinX DVD Author (free) at times.  You can find them with a Google search.

Newblue Titler Pro is what you might use for your titles within MC but it isn't for DVD authoring.  You can install it and use it as your titler instead of the title tool or Marquee within MC if you like but it's not mandatory for any reason.

Sys. 1: Sony VAIO VPCF13UFX/B, Intel Core i7-740QM (1.73GHz), 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), Nvidia Geforce 310M, MC 8.7 Sys. 2: Acer Aspire... [view my complete system specs]

Scott

• Thu, Dec 15 2016 2:06 AM In reply to

• denniscasey
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • St. Paul, Minnesota
    • Posts 658
    • Points 8,370

Dave and Scott, you have been very helpful in past also--just getting back into video editing after 1 year absence and I am finding changes in MC8 series vs MC7 as you point out.  The TMPGEnc is authoring tool that has been recommended to me by many others as an overdue move away from old Avid DVD.  Thanks again for info.  Dennis

MC6.5.2 SYSTEM: Asus P6X58D Premium; Intel i7-930 2.8 Ghz; PNY FX1800 GPU;500 GB RAID 1 System Drives; 1 TB RAID 0 Media Drives; 12 GB triple channel RAM;... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Dec 15 2016 2:26 AM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 16 2006
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,475
    • Moderator: MCA PC

You're most welcome, Dennis.  I'm glad to help when I can.

Sys. 1: Sony VAIO VPCF13UFX/B, Intel Core i7-740QM (1.73GHz), 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), Nvidia Geforce 310M, MC 8.7 Sys. 2: Acer Aspire... [view my complete system specs]

Scott

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller