Latest post Tue, Nov 29 2016 11:54 PM by Spyder1999. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Nov 29 2016 7:38 AM

DaVinci Resolve 12 to Avid MC 8.6

Hi,

I'm trying to import an .aaf file and have it link to the new, color corrected clips.  It's keeps linking to the old clips.  Help!

On the drive I was given, is a folder that has both the .aaf and .mxf files.  These files are not in a Avid Media Files Folder.  Should I move these files into a AMF folder?  I've tried "relinking" but it's not finding the new clips.  Worst case, I'll have to re-edit the sequence.

Thanks!

Mac OSX 10.9.5 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 AVID MC 8.6.4 Premiere Pro CC 2015.0.2 DaVinci Resolve 11 Lite 11.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 29 2016 7:51 AM In reply to

Re: DaVinci Resolve 12 to Avid MC 8.6

Yes I'd take the current AMF folders offline (rename) then make sure the new Resolve MXF files are in the correct location for MC to see them launch MC and ensure its indexed the files and made the databases. Then try importing the AAF.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Tue, Nov 29 2016 3:12 PM In reply to

HI,

So, I renamed the current AMF by placing "z_" in front of it.  I created a new AMF folder in the same place as the old AMF folder and a numbered sub folder to which I moved the new .mxf filees as well as the .aaf file.  AVID is not reading/indexing it at all.  What should I try next?

Mac OSX 10.9.5 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 AVID MC 8.6.4 Premiere Pro CC 2015.0.2 DaVinci Resolve 11 Lite 11.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 29 2016 3:46 PM In reply to

I got it to work but I need to be able to access the old media becuz that's where my audio is.

When I import the new database, why would it import the old media and link it to the new .aaf?

• Tue, Nov 29 2016 4:35 PM In reply to

Once you have the new media linked to the sequence you can re-enable the old avid media files (while keeping the news ones on as well use a different numbered folder like 101)

You should then have everything accessible.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Tue, Nov 29 2016 5:20 PM In reply to

I tried that and it re-linked to the old media. 

• Tue, Nov 29 2016 7:28 PM In reply to

I used to see this with older versions of Resolve but have had no problems recently (I am on 12.5 now). I can export the MXFs to a newly created numbered subfolder in AvidMediafiles>MXF with no issues. All good. If you still see problems, try exporting the media first, without the AAF, then return to the Edit page and export the AAF.

iMac i5 27", 24GB RAM, OS 10.13.6 with Symphony 2018.12, BlackMagic mini monitor. MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM with OS 10.13.6 with MC 2018.5 and BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]

With best wishes, Roger Shufflebottom

ACI, Technical Tutor (Editing), Faculty of Media and Communication, Bournemouth University, Dorset, UK

• Tue, Nov 29 2016 7:50 PM In reply to

I'll try that but I wanted to list the steps I've taken just for clarity.  Also, the version of Resolve is 12.5, I believe.

1. At the colorist's office, she exported the .aaf to a folder "short" on my external drive where all of the media as well as the avid project lives

2. I created a sub folder "20" within the AMF/MXF folders and moved the .aaf and .mxf files into it 

3. I tried importing the .aaf but it all linked to the old media

4. I renamed the old AMF folder by putting a "z_" in front of it and created a new AMF/MXF folder

5. I moved the .aaf and .mxf to this folder and it worked but the media that had not been color created as well as the audio remained offline (due to the folder rename)

6. I then tried moving the .aaf and .mxf files back to the original AMF folder so that I could have access to all of the media and the color corrected sequence, again, linked to the old media

I'm now having the colorist send me the DaVinci Resolve project so that I have it with me and will try doing what you suggested in the previous post.

Thank you for your help!!

• Tue, Nov 29 2016 11:31 PM In reply to

To me it sounds like you have ended up making your life complicated for what should be a very simple process.  This may stem from an issue caused by the colourist's folder (or your 20 folder) not having the appropriate read and write permissions for MC. 

With both Resolve 12.5 and MC 8.x here on a Mac I "deliver" an AAF from 12.5 to a new "Number only" named folder, (20 for example) that is in this file path Avid MediaFiles\MXF\20

I open MC (or if it is open make sure MC indexes all the media). Open a new bin and drag the AAF from the 20 folder into this bin. The bin immediately populates with all the Resolve rendered media.  This has worked this way here for all versions of MC and Resolve for the last 3 years.

It also works basically the same way here if, I like your colourist, I use Resolves Deliver page with the Avid template to render the AAF and media to a new "20" folder on a different computer (PC). Then copy the contents of that 20 folder to a newly created "20" folder in my Mac's   Media drive\Avid MediaFiles\MXF\ folder.

• Tue, Nov 29 2016 11:54 PM In reply to

Yeah, I dont know why a numbered sub folder wasn't created in the AMF/MXF folder.  Anyhoo, I now have the Resolve project and DR 12.5 at home so I'll try re-exporting via numbered folder and will let you know.  Thanks again!

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller