Latest post Mon, Nov 21 2016 12:50 PM by Roger Shufflebottom. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Nov 5 2016 3:11 PM

Better Alpha Channel/Title Management

MC's management of titles and Alpha channel clips hasn't been updated in years.   I started compiling a list of improvements I'd like to see are:

1) Match frame - MC doesn't match frame back to alpha channel clips.  Sometimes I need to search through multiple bins to fnd an Alpha channel clip.   We can use match frame/find bin to locate any other clip easily.  Why can't we do this with Alpha channel clips?  

2) Export - Exporting graphics tracks as an Alpha channel clip.   I receive Alpha channel graphics & animations from editors working in other edit systems.  But I can't export alpha channel clips.   For example, I'll create a lower thirds with titles and animation and need to export the graphics as an alpha channel clip (without the underlying video) to use in other programs or send to other editors.

3) Renaming Clips - I've posted about this before.   Once you cut an alpha channel title into the timeline, if you rename it in the bin it does not update in the sequence.

4) Bin Display - Display the image of the Alpha channel clip as a frame-- as all other clip are displayed--instead of a title or matte icon.

What other Alpha channel/ title management improvements would you like to see?

MC 2018.4 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system drive... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Sat, Nov 5 2016 3:15 PM In reply to

Re: Better Alpha Channel/Title Management

After posting, I realized this should be in the Feature Requests forum.  Perhaps one of the moderators can move it there.  Thanks.

MC 2018.4 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system drive... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Mon, Nov 7 2016 3:23 PM In reply to

• Atomike
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 728
    • Points 11,085

Titles in Media Composer are of much lower quality than professional title tools. Look at the ouput of titles from After Effects, and compare them to media composer. MC is laughably bad. Even using the "shapren" hack, it's simply not a good looking effect. Probably the worst of any title tool available, free or otherwise. It needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.  If Media Composer requires a third-party app to do something as basic as titles (and it does) that says a great deal about media composer, and the priorities of its developers.

Anything other than a re-start from scratch is not relevant. It's adjusting deck chairs on the Titanic.

Media Composer version: usually newest release, or 1 behind. Nvidia GTX 1070Ti Windows 10, Core i7 8700K processor, ASRock GA 1151 Z370 Motherboard... [view my complete system specs]

I spend most of my time between New York and Los Angeles.  In Nebraska.

• Mon, Nov 7 2016 3:55 PM In reply to

I still use the Title Tool for quick and simple titles.   I build more complex lower 3rds in Photoshop and then import as an Alpha channel graphic.   But I agree...it would be great to have more powerful title/graphics capabilities within MC.

• Mon, Nov 7 2016 3:57 PM In reply to

Atomike:
    Even using the "shapren" hack, it's simply not a good looking effect.

I'm not familiar with this?

• Mon, Nov 7 2016 4:31 PM In reply to

Terry Snyder:

After posting, I realized this should be in the Feature Requests forum.  Perhaps one of the moderators can move it there.  Thanks.

Done!

Media Composer 2018.12.1 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Nov 21 2016 12:50 PM In reply to

Point 3 (workaround). In bin, Set Bin Display. Turn on 'Precomputes - Titles'. Rename the Precompute. Done. OK - it is a workaround!

iMac i5 27", 24GB RAM, OS 10.13.6 with Symphony 2018.12, BlackMagic mini monitor. MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM with OS 10.13.6 with MC 2018.5 and BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]

With best wishes, Roger Shufflebottom

ACI, Technical Tutor (Editing), Faculty of Media and Communication, Bournemouth University, Dorset, UK

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller