Latest post Mon, Oct 10 2016 11:48 AM by Roger Shufflebottom. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Oct 6 2016 4:13 PM

Sync Lock Keeps Turning Itself Back On

I only rarely use Sync Lock. However, on my current project it keeps turning on (the slash marks show in the control panel of the timeline) without my knowingly having set it. Is there a shortcut I may be inadvertantly hitting that brings it on? Or is there something else in a setting that could be force reverting it?

One possibly useful detail is this project was started for me elsewhere on a PC-based Avid running the same version as mine - 8.6.1.

Martin

System 1: Early 2009 Nehalem MacPro4,1, 2 X 2.6 GHz Quad-Core updated with Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB for my system drive, 32 GB RAM and ATI Radeon HD 4870 GRFX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 7 2016 2:40 AM In reply to

Re: Sync Lock Keeps Turning Itself Back On

Have you checked your Settings >Timeline > Edit > Sync locks defaults to on?  Maybe the other editors settings have carried into your project.  FWIW On a PC with MC 8.6.1 (and every other version of MC here) I do not use Sync locks and I have never had any instances of them turning on.

• Fri, Oct 7 2016 2:44 AM In reply to

AndrewAction:
    Have you checked your Settings >Timeline > Edit > Sync locks defaults to on?
    That was on and I've now turned it off. Has that setting existed for a long time? I've never used sync lock and I would have thought that would be user setting rather than a project setting.

At any rate, I'm sure that fixed it. Thanks so much.

Martin

System 1: Early 2009 Nehalem MacPro4,1, 2 X 2.6 GHz Quad-Core updated with Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB for my system drive, 32 GB RAM and ATI Radeon HD 4870 GRFX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 7 2016 2:55 AM In reply to

Martin in Chicago:
    Has that setting existed for a long time?
    I would think so ... but I do not KNOW

Martin in Chicago:
    I would have thought that would be user setting rather than a project setting.
    So would I but without having had the issue it has never occured to me to check Wink

Glad it worked for you!!

• Fri, Oct 7 2016 11:40 AM In reply to

• MikeyB
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Edlesborough, UK
    • Posts 474
    • Points 5,875
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Moderator: Avid Certified Instructors - Video

Default Sync Locks On is indeed a User rather than Project setting, and, if enabled, should only apply itself to new Sequences created by that User.

But in my experience it has not been very "reliable" - ie it often doesn't actually do this. So you may in fact have had it enabled for some time without knowing, and it's somehow just "woken up".

I actually rather like it, and would like to see it apply not only to new Sequences, but also to new Tracks created in existing Sequences.  

MacBook Pro 15" 2016 2.7GHz i7 Radeon 455 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Oct 9 2016 1:57 AM In reply to

MikeyB:
    and would like to see it apply not only to new Sequences, but also to new Tracks created in existing Sequences
    I would hate that with any other setting that has the possibility to automatically make timeline behavior changes to how my current timeline functions. (especially with the relatively new create a new track with a vertical mouse movement) 

• Mon, Oct 10 2016 11:48 AM In reply to

MikeyB wrote: I actually rather like it, and would like to see it apply not only to new Sequences, but also to new Tracks created in existing Sequences. 

I second that. I've begun to use 'Default Sync Locks On' with my students and I was surprised that it did not extend to newly added tracks.

iMac i5 27", 24GB RAM, OS 10.13.6 with Symphony 2018.12, BlackMagic mini monitor. MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM with OS 10.13.6 with MC 2018.5 and BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]

With best wishes, Roger Shufflebottom

ACI, Technical Tutor (Editing), Faculty of Media and Communication, Bournemouth University, Dorset, UK

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller