Latest post Mon, Feb 12 2018 3:42 PM by Roger Shufflebottom. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Sep 26 2016 8:00 AM

• srtlewis
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 21 2012
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20

AMA Linking -> Drag drop

So, I am a new / returning AVID user (think my last version was MC 4...).  Now after saveral years in the wilderness on other systems back to MC 8.6 .   I love AMA but sweet jesus AMA linking via Source Browser is painful.  I have seen various people mention ALT Dragging the media folders into MC but for the life of me I cannot get that to work.  on a mac tried cmd alt and combinations there in . help greatly appreciated

S

• Mon, Sep 26 2016 2:52 PM In reply to

• MikeyB
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Edlesborough, UK
    • Posts 411
    • Points 4,990
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Moderator: Avid Certified Instructors - Video

Re: AMA Linking -> Drag drop

It should just work... Hold the Alt key and don't let go until the process is complete.

If no joy, do you have the necessary AMA plug-ins installed for the media you're trying to link to?  Check in the Info tab of the Project window to see what's installed. If you need to install some, there's a hyperlink in the Link settings that'll take you to the right area of the Avid website to find links to the various download pages.

Be careful to d/l the right versions for your OS/SW combo

MacBook Pro 15" 2016 2.7GHz i7 Radeon 455 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 26 2016 2:57 PM In reply to

If you open the console tool and have it open while you try a drag and drop it may report any issues (like no AMA plugin)

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Symphony V8.6 / 8.3.1 HP Z400 system [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Tue, Sep 27 2016 5:55 AM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 14 2014
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 99
    • Points 1,045

Just to be clear on the process, I have to click on the file in the finder,hold the click, then press option, then drag and drop and let go the option key and the mouse button.

M

iMac Retina27 late 2017 4.5Gz i7 40GB AMD 8GB with Sata Raid OS 10.13 MC 8.9.4 BMD mini monitor with Eizo monitor [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 27 2016 9:14 AM In reply to

On a PC I can click and drag and as long as I press alt and hold it before I release the mouse it will AMA link. Or I can press Alt frist then click drag and release (still holding alt down) in fact as I press alt the moving icon of the drag shows link and an arrow.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Symphony V8.6 / 8.3.1 HP Z400 system [view my complete system specs]

-

• Tue, Sep 27 2016 9:32 AM In reply to

• MikeyB
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Edlesborough, UK
    • Posts 411
    • Points 4,990
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Moderator: Avid Certified Instructors - Video

On my Mac, it doesn't matter whether you click-alt-drag or alt-click-drag. The crucial thing is that the alt key is held as the mouse is released and while the linking takes place.

MacBook Pro 15" 2016 2.7GHz i7 Radeon 455 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 2 2018 11:43 AM In reply to

• Iveagh
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 2 2016
    • Posts 10
    • Points 160

I saw this thread and just thought Id ask...is DRAG and DROP a legitimate method for AMA Linking? I am having problems with AMA linking and this DRAG and DROP is the only way I can get clips into my rushes bins. Does all the necessary information come across with this method?

Thanks guys

Brenda

• Fri, Feb 2 2018 12:55 PM In reply to

Yes drag and drop (with alt) produces the same AMA link. 

-

• Mon, Feb 12 2018 3:42 PM In reply to

And, as been said, the linking is MUCH faster. Why? Why! And I think that Avid should bite the bullet and reverse the modifier key thing so that simply dragging will link and the option/alt key would be needed to import (ie create media). Times change.

iMac i5 27", 24GB RAM, OS 10.11.6 with Symphony 8.10., BlackMagic mini monitor. MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM with OS 10.12.5 with MC 8.10 and BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]

With best wishes, Roger Shufflebottom

ACI, Technical Tutor (Editing), Faculty of Media and Communication, Bournemouth University, Dorset, UK

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller