Latest post Tue, Sep 20 2016 8:06 AM by S.Clements. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Sep 19 2016 12:11 PM

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 800
    • Points 10,630

Can't remap F keys on old Apple Pro a1048 Avid-Style Keyboard

Hey, guys.

I'm assisting on a show and having trouble setting up another editor's keyboard.  He is using an Apple Pro a1048 Avid-style keyboard.  When he presses the F keys, he doesn't get the functionality that is mapped to them in Avid.

We are all on Yosemite 10.10.5.  When I go to keyboard settings in my system preferences, I am given the option to use F1, F2 etc. as standard function keys, but that's because I'm using a newer keyboard.  He doesn't have that option when he does the same.

Does anyone have any idea how he can get Avid functionality on this older keyboard?  Many thanks.

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 19 2016 4:27 PM In reply to

Re: Can't remap F keys on old Apple Pro a1048 Avid-Style Keyboard

This is my keyboard of choice and I use it on a MacPro 2010 running 10.10.5 with no problem. I have it in both the bluetooth and wired versions. The 'F' keys and the pref pane that enables their function as standard keys works as you would expect. Right now I'm cutting with it on a windows based setup, working fine.

User prefs don't have a keyboard.plist file - presumably settings are stored within the preference pane - but the Library has a com.apple.keyboardtype.plist file (/Library/Preferences/com.apple.keyboardtype.plist) which the system uses to store what type (model / language etc) of keyboard is attached. I would try trashing that (having saved a copy first) and restarting the mac with just the a1048 keyboard attached and see if it can't properly recognise an apple keyboard that will then work in the way you want.

• Tue, Sep 20 2016 8:06 AM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 800
    • Points 10,630

Re: Can't remap F keys on old Apple Pro a1048 Avid-Style Keyboard

Thanks for the great advice!  We actually think the keyboard is broken though, because we found another one that was the same model, but without the Avid-painted keys, and it worked.  But, we might try this before switching all the keys.

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller