Latest post Thu, Jul 28 2016 4:48 PM by Marianna. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jul 28 2016 12:29 AM

• Bromby
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 26 2016
    • Posts 11
    • Points 155

Media Composer Trial version- unable to use different modes

I am new to AVID and I am having toubles understanding what would cause me to not be able to use the different mode buttons? For the longest time I was stuck in source record mode and not able to switch to Edit mode. I accidentally triggered it to go into Edit mode but I don't know how? When I try to select a different mode I get "the button cannot be changed" I've read through all sorts of instructions and can't find a solution? I can't seem to use any of the buttons on the timeline window other than a select few. I'm on a mac 10.11.3 running the newest version of Media composer 8. What am I missing?

Thank you

• Thu, Jul 28 2016 8:21 AM In reply to

Re: Media Composer Trial version- unable to use different modes

Hi,

Are you trying to click on the source/record buttons on the command palette? That would cause the "button cannot be changed" warning. The command palette is used when you're remapping your keyboard or changing buttons in the user interface; not when you want to invoke a command.

Bromby:
    For the longest time I was stuck in source record mode and not able to switch to Edit mode.

In Avid, source/record mode is the mode you use for editing. The other modes are trim mode for when you need to make small adjustments, effects mode for working with effects, and color correction mode for color correcting.

I hope that helps.

Media Composer 2018.12.1 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Thu, Jul 28 2016 4:37 PM In reply to

• Bromby
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 26 2016
    • Posts 11
    • Points 155

Yes I was trying to click other modes but in the timeline pallet. What is the command pallet? Is this the same thing? Thank you, for your input . Ok so correct me if I am wrong... it seems that source/record is the default mode. How did I end up in edit mode? What would cause that to change? So if these mode buttons aren't actually buttons but just indicators as to what mode you are working in, how do you access what you need when you need it?  

....Referencing the timeline palette now... I have read through the instructions and I understand that "The Timeline palette provides you with the most common tools you need for Timeline editing, as well as several buttons you can use to enable editing modes such as Effect mode or Color Correction mode." 

...my question is why would these be refered to as buttons to enable modes and why are they sometimes available and sometimes not?

Maybe I'm not asking the right questions to find the answer Im looking for?

Thanks agsin! Much appreciated feedback.

• Thu, Jul 28 2016 4:48 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,089
    • Points 216,625
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Bromby

This is a good place to go.....

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/readme/Media-Composer-Software-8-0-Documentation

Marianna 

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller