Latest post Sat, Jul 9 2016 4:50 PM by usatraveler. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jul 7 2016 1:26 AM

• bitterjester
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 5 2009
    • Highland Park, IL
    • Posts 3
    • Points 50

Transcoding - Keep frame rate versus Convert frame rate

Hello,

If I've filmed at 23.976 ProRes 422 and want to edit at 23.976 ProRes 422 is there any difference to using "Keep Source's Frame Rate" versus "Convert to Project Frame Rate." The only difference I see is a slight increase in used disc spac for the convert option.

Thanks 

AVID MC 5.0 Mac OS 10.6.4 2 x 2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon 6 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-Dimm NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 7 2016 1:10 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,430
    • Points 41,355

Re: Transcoding - Keep frame rate versus Convert frame rate

Interesting.  I would have said there is no difference at all.  Is the size difference in the video files, audio files or both?  Does the metadata in the newly created master clips show any difference?

Is one a consolidate and the other a transcode?

Curious.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Thu, Jul 7 2016 4:11 PM In reply to

• Greg Cohan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 9 2015
    • Hollywood
    • Posts 85
    • Points 990

I think what your seeing is a codec difference.  I could be wrong because I'm not in front of a system but but convert will give you DNX Codecs.  Keep will give you DNXHR codec.

If you want to edit in Pro Res and your Master is Pro Res try Consolidating instead.  You shouldn't see any file size difference.

27 Systems all running MC 8.7 on OS 10.11.5, ISIS 5500 SD 4.7.4 client 4.7.7 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 9 2016 1:55 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,430
    • Points 41,355

Greg Cohan:

I think what your seeing is a codec difference.  I could be wrong because I'm not in front of a system but but convert will give you DNX Codecs.  Keep will give you DNXHR codec.

Could be.  A quick look at the codec info in the bin would confirm this.

Greg Cohan:

If you want to edit in Pro Res and your Master is Pro Res try Consolidating instead.  You shouldn't see any file size difference.

I had meant to suggest this as well.  Got lazy ...

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Sat, Jul 9 2016 2:32 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,373
    • Points 16,955

In your case it doesn't make a big difference.  The main purpose seems to be when the source frame rates are mismatched it allows for relinking from a timeline to the mismatched footage.

• Sat, Jul 9 2016 4:50 PM In reply to

I've seen similar, even when the end result should be exactly the same - "KEEP" source rate at 23.976 ProRes, versus "CONVERT" rate also at 23.976 ProRes.  It should be identical, but somehow, Avid estimates that it won't be.  Still, it's very possible that after the conversion, it does turn out to be identical anyway.

Regardless, as others have pointed out, ProRes can be consolidated.  Just do that instead.

Generally, when you actually ARE working with footage that's a different rate (which is NOT the case here), keep in mind that when you convert to another framerate, you can no longer relink back to the original media.  For that reason, I always like to use that new option to keep the source rate.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller