Latest post Mon, Jul 11 2016 5:19 PM by ryguy. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 24 2016 4:46 PM

• ryguy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 30 2009
    • Posts 141
    • Points 1,995

Frame Flex Trouble

Hi All, 

I am having a bit of trouble with frame flex right now.

I am getting 4k footage from my camera guy. I am working in a 1080p project because that is what the final deliverable is. I then ama link the footage into avid MC 8.4 right off of the camera card and I am transcoding the media to DNxHD 115. I then remove the card and work with the media I just transcoded. 

So the problem I am having is that, if I edit a clip into a timeline (it has the frame flex effect added already) and need to add an effect or by accident open the effect editor my video suddenly becomes cropped down and no longer fills the entire frame, I get black bars on top and bottom, even though I haven't touched any frame flex settings. All I have done at this point is opened the effect editor. I have tried messing with the settings in the frame flex effect to try and get it back to filling the whole frame but no luck. the only way I have found to get it back is to undo or re cut the shot back into the timeline. 

Obviously this is very annoying! I seek to understand because I am probably just not using it correctly.

Thanks in advance.

Main Workstation: Dell Precision T7600, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E5-2687W @ 3.10GHz 2x, 64GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 4000, Running Avid Media Composer... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jun 25 2016 2:07 PM In reply to

• scocklin
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Maryland
    • Posts 652
    • Points 7,840

Re: Frame Flex Trouble

I think you need to select your source clip(s) right click on them in the bin and select source settings, select frame flex, set your frame size and apply to all.  Then in your time line you can use your effects editor to adjust each clip size or create zooms.  That being said IMHO I think the Frame Flex effect interface is bit clumsy to use hopefully we will see some improvements in future releases. 

HP Z800 2x 3.46GHz Hex Core X5690, 48GB Ram, Windows 10, Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512GB, Avid Mojo DX, Nvidia Quadro K4000, GTX 1080 FTW, DeckLink SDI 4K,... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 11 2016 4:41 PM In reply to

• ryguy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 141
    • Points 1,995

What is frusterating and also doesn't make sense to me, is that I transcoded the 4K stuff to DNxHD 115 so why is FrameFlex even applied to the clip, it isn't 4K anymore, its HD!!!  

Also, most of the other 4K footage I transcoded for this same project came in without the FrameFlex effect applied and it behaves exactly like it should, but then I got this other footage that is frusterating to work with because of FrameFlex. 

Also, thank you for the reply but your suggestion doesn't seem to work.

Main Workstation: Dell Precision T7600, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E5-2687W @ 3.10GHz 2x, 64GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 4000, Running Avid Media Composer... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 11 2016 4:55 PM In reply to

Once you set your master clips the way you want - use the "Refresh Sequence" option to refresh your sequence to take into account the changes you made to your master clips.

Generally, if your transcoded media matches the size and rate of your sequence, and your FrameFlex settings are defaults - no color adjustments, no resizing, clips set to "stretch" to fill - then there should be no motion adapter.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 11 2016 5:19 PM In reply to

• ryguy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 141
    • Points 1,995

So I looked through the bin with the footage in it that was transcoded to be DNxHD 115, that for some reason had the FrameFlex effect applied to it which made the footage to be squashed, and found that there was actually one clip in that bin that didn't have the FrameFlex applied and was behaving normally! so I thought that I would go into the source settings and click on the FrameFlex tab even though it didn't have FrameFlex on it and took note of the settings. 

then I went to one of the offending clips and just changed the settings to match the other one and voilà, the FrameFlex effect disapeared and the clip seems to be behaving in a way that I would expect so I guess it is solved for now. Although I wish I knew why it happened in the first place.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller