Latest post Mon, May 16 2016 6:51 AM by dori_bashan. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, May 12 2016 8:32 PM

• dori_bashan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • ISRAEL
    • Posts 647
    • Points 7,990

removing the system director storage group but keeping other storage group data

Hi

we have a ISIS 5000-32TB System Director conneted to 2x ISIS 5000 Expension engines (2x32TB)  - total of three engines.

The system director and the 1st expension engine are on the same storage group, and the 2nd expension engine is on a sepearte storage group.

what we need to do:

1. add a 4th expesion engine as a seperate storage group.

2. remove the 1st expension engine (its got a problematic hardware that needs testing in a non-production environment) 

3. configure the system director as a seperate storage group.

Now, i know that in order to remove the 1st expsnsion engine, i must delete all data from the both members on that storage group (the system director and the expesnion engine).

But, if i delete all data from that storage group, will the 2nd expnsion engine (seperate storage group) will still be avalible?

after deleting the storage group and before reconfigure the system director as a seperate storage group, there will be no issues if the system director itslef is not configured as a storage group, but only the expnesion engine is configured as storage group?

Can someone help with a step by step guide for that?

all system running 4.6.1.1

Thanks!!!

90x Media Composer, 8x Symphony Nitris, 8x ISIS 5000, ,6x Pro Tools, 4x Assimilate SCRATCH Systems- Opus Post Production, ISRAEL. [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, May 14 2016 8:27 PM In reply to

• dori_bashan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • ISRAEL
    • Posts 647
    • Points 7,990

Re: removing the system director storage group but keeping other storage group data

Anyone?

Thanks!

90x Media Composer, 8x Symphony Nitris, 8x ISIS 5000, ,6x Pro Tools, 4x Assimilate SCRATCH Systems- Opus Post Production, ISRAEL. [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, May 14 2016 8:34 PM In reply to

Re: removing the system director storage group but keeping other storage group data

What's the hardware issue with the system director engine? Why aren't you able to replace the system director with the new 4th engine without loosing the metadata and media?

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Sun, May 15 2016 1:55 AM In reply to

• dori_bashan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • ISRAEL
    • Posts 647
    • Points 7,990

The hardware issue is not with the system director engine.

the hardware issue is with the the 1st expension engine, that it is part of the same storage group as the system director.

After complete shutdown, the 1st expension engine won't power on.

everthing is working ok while it is on, when when turned off, it takes around 20 min to get it back on.

removing the PSU's, pressing the ON button over and over, and it the end it poweres on.

this is a situation which we want to avoid. 

we want to remove that engine from the set, and make some hardware tests when after it is removed.

so we want to add another engine that we have in hand, move all media that is currently on the first storage group (which is a storage group that conatin both the system director and the 1st expension engine) to the 2nd and 3rd engines that each one if them is a diffrent storage group,delete the first storage group, remove the problematic engine, and reconfigure the system director as its own storage group, so in the end we will have 3 chasis (system director+ 2x expension engines) that each ine if them is a seperate storage group.

Thanks 

• Sun, May 15 2016 8:00 AM In reply to

Ah Ok. If you do not need the extra performance of the 1st and 2nd engine being part of the same storage group sure you can do that.

So after you again manage the 1st expansion engine to power up and add the 4th expansion engine. Then with a client you copy over all media from the workspaces in storage group 1 into workspaces of storage group 3 assuming the media of the first 2 engines fits on the 4th engine.

After the copy is complete you delete all media that is in storage group 1. Then you just remove the 1st expansion engine storage element from storage group 1. I expect this will trigger a redistribute in storage group 1 but if you deleted everything that shouldn't take too long.

Then you just remove 1st expansion engine and start playing with it on a desk if it is not under support. If it is under support I would just remove the drives and request an RMA with Avid.

An issue has been detected with the temperature sensor in some ISIS 5000/5500 and airspeed 5000/5500 units. http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/Troubleshooting/ISIS-5000-5500-unexpected-power-off-during-operation-or-start-up. This could be related to what you are having. We have had the exact same symptoms with an airspeed 5000 not starting up but the reseat of the sensor only temporarily fixed it in our case.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

www.mediaoffline.com

• Sun, May 15 2016 10:27 AM In reply to

• dori_bashan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • ISRAEL
    • Posts 647
    • Points 7,990

Thank you!!!

few questions:

1. regarding the KB, seems like this is the issue. did you notice the excat same thing as we see? we don't have any shutdows after the system is up, but after we power it off, it doesn't power on until playing with it (removing PSU's, remove from the rack/return to the rack, connect/disconnect power cables etc)

2. regarding the engine remove, so there is no need to delete the storage group and to unbind? all i need to do is delete all media and workspaces from that storage group, and remove the storage element? all the workspaces and media  on storage group #2 and #3 will contine to be availble during that time, correct?

Thanks!

• Mon, May 16 2016 6:47 AM In reply to

dori_bashan:
    2. regarding the engine remove, so there is no need to delete the storage group and to unbind? all i need to do is delete all media and workspaces from that storage group, and remove the storage element? all the workspaces and media  on storage group #2 and #3 will contine to be availble during that time, correct?

Yes that is correct. In theory if the amount of media is less than 22-24TB in case of 2x 32TB chassis you should just need to remove the second storage element and it would trigger a redistribute. Haven't done this on an isis 5500 system yet but very often on isis 7500. As I haven't tried it on isis 5500 I would follow the method you mentioned of moving the media to a new chassis and storage group.

dori_bashan:
    1. regarding the KB, seems like this is the issue. did you notice the excat same thing as we see?

Yes, we had an airspeed that would not power up after a windows shutdown. We had to RMA the unit. If your isis 5500 is not under support it might be worth trying to just replace the temp sensor and see if it fixes the issue. I give it a 10-25% chance.

Jeroen van Eekeres 

www.mediaoffline.com

• Mon, May 16 2016 6:51 AM In reply to

• dori_bashan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • ISRAEL
    • Posts 647
    • Points 7,990

Thank you!!!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller