Latest post Fri, May 26 2017 3:51 PM by Jeroen van Eekeres. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Feb 22 2016 3:36 PM

Waiting on follow up from Avid support... again.

I have to say normally I'm in Avid's corner, but I really feel like whatever support model they have setup needs improvement.

Everytime I call, someone answers and takes all of my info - this person struggles to understand what the issue is of course because their role is to simply triage my call. They tell me they can not handle my issue themselves and that one of their colleagues will contact me later. Two issues I have with that, a) they give no timeframe for me to expect the follow up contact - one time they called me back right as I was about the head out the door on a Friday!! b) the automated system requires me to enter in my SysID for the product I'm calling about so that they can route my call to the appropriate department, why then does the person who answers have to forward my info to a "colleague" for a follow up? 

Most recently, I've been dealing with an issue where jobs sent to Archive are failing before the SGL server can pick them up. It seems to be a problem with the Providers. I've tried stopping and starting services, rebooting the servers etc, to no avail.

On Feb 18, I was working with someone via email and phone to get the issue resolved, she suggested updating the Access client to the most recent version. Personally, I didn't think that was going to help because jobs sent earlier in the day had been succussful and it suddenly stopped working altogether.

After I installed the Access client patch and experienced the same problem I wrote back to the support rep I was dealing with to let her know that it didn't work. I have not yet received a response and that was 4 days ago!!

This morning, I called support again, punched in my SysID and told the person who (finally) answered the phone that I had an existing case, but no one was responding to my messages. He looked it up and saw my last correspondence, but then proceeded to tell me that he would contact one of his colleagues who would follow up with me! This is infuriating. I have an ISIS that is bursting at the seams and loads of stuff to archive, but I can't get any of it done because of Avid's support model.

ugh. 

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Mon, Feb 22 2016 3:48 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 1,840
    • Points 20,340
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Waiting on follow up from Avid support... again.

Hello Kenton.VanNatten,

May I have the support case number.

Regards,

Ralph

MacBook Pro 15 2018 Intel Core i7 2.6GHz Mac 10.13.6 Intel UHD 630. [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 22 2016 3:53 PM In reply to

Thanks Ralph. 

It's 02903134

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

• Mon, Feb 22 2016 4:01 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 1,840
    • Points 20,340
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Kenton.VanNatten:

Thanks Ralph. 

It's 02903134

Bear with me as I check the case status.

Regards,
    Ralph

MacBook Pro 15 2018 Intel Core i7 2.6GHz Mac 10.13.6 Intel UHD 630. [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 22 2016 4:19 PM In reply to

• Chris Aust
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Munich
    • Posts 436
    • Points 4,765
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User
      Moderator: Avid Certified Instructors - Video

Hi Kenton,

Could it be that users or passwords have changed recently, especially for Administrator? A quick search shows me that corrupted renders may cause the issue. Does this happen to all archive jobs? Have you tried to do a mixdown of the sequence and then archive?

Which version of Interplay are you on? Which version are archive providers?

cheers

Chris

MC/Symphony 8.7.2 | VMware Workstation 14 virtual Interplay on Ubuntu Linux 16.04 4.15.03| Dell XPS 15 |||| obsolete MacBookPro 17", 2.5GHz Quad Core... [view my complete system specs]

Chris Aust

Munich, Germany

Avid Workflow Consultant | ACI | Trainer

Splash!Zone

• Mon, Feb 22 2016 4:49 PM In reply to

Thanks Chris for the response.

I don't think any usernames/pws have changed.

I was having some issues with pre-computes being offline with some sequences, specifically Title media, I was able to re-create title media, clear renders and re-render etc and that seemed to get the jobs through. I was getting usual error messages such as "no media found for abc clip". After I had sorted out that problem, I ended up getting another error on every subsequent job Here is a screengrab.

I have not explicity tried a Mixdown of the sequence as a troubleshooting method, mostly because we need to have the sequences archived in a non-flattened version in the event of needing to resurrect and re-edit. Flattening the seqs as a Mixdown in practice will not give us that capability.

Interplay is version 3.2.1 

Archive and Restore are 3.2.0 I believe.

• Mon, Feb 22 2016 5:31 PM In reply to

• Chris Aust
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Munich
    • Posts 436
    • Points 4,765
      Avid Certified User

Hi Kenton,

trying a mixdown would not be the solution for you, it would just be a test to see if a flattened sequence goes to archive. Would be worth a try, at least out of interest.

Does the issue occur when running the archive job from any client, not just Mac?

You should check with Avid support if you could apply the archive/restore provider patch 3.2.1.

The patch you were asked to install a few days ago is a mac client patch. I personally don't believe this has to do with the client...

Has Avid support already reached out to you? It is already the end of the business day in some parts of the world, so let me try to catch someone in the US.

cheers

Chris

MC/Symphony 8.7.2 | VMware Workstation 14 virtual Interplay on Ubuntu Linux 16.04 4.15.03| Dell XPS 15 |||| obsolete MacBookPro 17", 2.5GHz Quad Core... [view my complete system specs]

Chris Aust

Munich, Germany

Splash!Zone

• Mon, Feb 22 2016 6:57 PM In reply to

Thanks Chris, 

I typed a nicely worded response and I guess my session timed out and when I hit Post, it cleared my message (another frustration with Avid!) lol

The short version is that I have now tried two other sequences from two completely different projects and they seem to be archiving without problems.

The two sequences that are giving me problems are from the same project, so perhaps there's something up with the media. Two other sequences from the same project archived successfully, so I will have to investigate the similarities/differences between the successful and failed sequences.

I see that I have a response from Avid support in my inbox, I will check that out and report back. 

Thanks for all your help on this so far.

• Mon, Feb 22 2016 7:16 PM In reply to

Kenton.VanNatten:
    my session timed out and when I hit Post, it cleared my message (another frustration with Avid!) lol
    Off topic ..... Recently I have taken up copying each "longer" reply before posting to avoid being caught out by this. (happens with the Audio Forums as well)

• Mon, Feb 22 2016 7:30 PM In reply to

• Chris Aust
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Munich
    • Posts 436
    • Points 4,765
      Avid Certified User

Yep, happens to me too, but not in the Avid forums because I try to keep my messages short :)

Re the archive issue, could it be that the sequences that fail share some media, like graphics or similar?

cheers

Chris

Chris Aust

Munich, Germany

Splash!Zone

• Mon, Feb 22 2016 7:41 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,280
    • Points 219,110
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Kenton,

My apologies for the wait and the situation that transpired from calling in until now.  Jenn is one of the best techs and she has been in dialog with you.  I just reviewed the case and sent a note asking that this be sent to a US ISIS person and you are assisted asap.

Coud you ping me on my email when they connect - or if you do NOT hear back today.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Mon, Feb 22 2016 10:58 PM In reply to

Thanks M - 

Jenn has been fine, she explained that she was out on Friday. I guess I was under the impression that another tech would've responded if she was unable to.

I think I've got a handle on what's going on, I sent a collection of 24 seqs to archive - of those about 12 failed, the other 12 were successful. On one of them as a test, I've cleared the renders, re-created title media, transcoded the sequence to DNx145, rendered, rechecked into Interplay and re-archived. These projects are over 2 yrs old, so I'm surprised that there is potentially corrupt render files etc. I'm going to try a few more like that before I leave for the day. 

• Mon, Feb 22 2016 11:29 PM In reply to

Open the bin(s) with suspect sequences.  Use the Console command, "repairsequences".  Retry the archive process.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Tue, Feb 23 2016 2:29 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,280
    • Points 219,110
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Kenton.VanNatten:

Thanks M - 

Jenn has been fine, she explained that she was out on Friday. I guess I was under the impression that another tech would've responded if she was unable to.

I think I've got a handle on what's going on, I sent a collection of 24 seqs to archive - of those about 12 failed, the other 12 were successful. On one of them as a test, I've cleared the renders, re-created title media, transcoded the sequence to DNx145, rendered, rechecked into Interplay and re-archived. These projects are over 2 yrs old, so I'm surprised that there is potentially corrupt render files etc. I'm going to try a few more like that before I leave for the day. 

You can always email me direct and I will get someone on it or handle myself....  I'll check with support on how they normally handle cases assigned to one tech if that tech is out.

keep me posted.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Thu, Feb 25 2016 3:01 AM In reply to

I just wanted to circle back and let everyone know that so far (knock wood) all sequences seem to working just fine. When I encounter a problem sequence my process has been to open in MC, Clear Renders In/Out, Re-Create Title Media, Transcode to DNx145 (just to make sure), set Media Creation > Render to DNx145 and uncheck "Same As Source", Render. So far, that has sorted out whatever issues I've had with problem sequences. 

Thanks to everyone that jumped in to help on this. I'll follow up with Avid Support tomorrow morning to let them know they can close the case.

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller