Latest post Thu, Apr 7 2016 2:50 PM by ShadenFreude. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Feb 15 2016 1:46 PM

• dori_bashan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • ISRAEL
    • Posts 647
    • Points 7,990

ISIS 5000 Engine won't power on - but PSU's are OK - faulty CMOS battery?

Hi

We had an issue with one of our extension ISIS 5000 chaisis, in which after a power lost caused by a UPS fauilre, the chaisis didn't power on - even that the PSU's are ok. pressing the power button on the front of the engine didn't turned it on and it stayd off.

We have switched both PSU's to two other PSU's from a diffrent engine, and still the engine didn't power on.

I was able to see that there is a green light on the motherboad, so the motherbard have power, but whenever we pressed on the power button on the front of the chasis, the green light on the motherboard turned off.

At the end, after a lot of paying with it, the engine powered on.

but, when it did, BIOS settings was reset to factory defaults. we had to configure the date and time and to configure the BOOT in order to make the engine boot from the intel raid as it was set on booting from the LSI raid.

My questions:

1. is is possible that the CMOS battary is faulty? if so, does it make sense that the engine didn't power on at all becuase of that?

2. if the battary is the issue, which kind of battary do i need to get? i wasn't able to look at the battary when we opened it up as we had some engry clients on our shoulders,  and now i don't won't to open it again just to have a look on the battary specs.

The ISIS logs doesn't see an indication to a a CMOS battary fauilre or to any other fauilre, but that make sense as it only happeed on boot so the ISIS software wasn't active yet.

Any other advice on can cause that? is there a user manual of the ISIS motherboard somewhere?

Thanks

Dori

90x Media Composer, 8x Symphony Nitris, 8x ISIS 5000, ,6x Pro Tools, 4x Assimilate SCRATCH Systems- Opus Post Production, ISRAEL. [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 15 2016 2:10 PM In reply to

Re: ISIS 5000 Engine won't power on - but PSU's are OK - faulty CMOS battery?

Not sure if the 5000 follows the same as the 5500 but the 5500 has the ability to report cmos battery issues:

ISIS General

Error 5500 ISIS Storage Engine <hostname>: CMOS battery fault detected

ISIS General

Information 5500 ISIS Storage Engine <hostname>: CMOS battery fault cleared

That said I'd go with it being a CMOS battery issue. Probably not completely flat but low enough to have corrupted. It's possible the power loss was the main cause the the unit will power down and back up ok next time. But I'd stick a battery in anyway.

Don't have the battery type but will see if I can find it.

You need to be sure the issue is resolved or the next time the system goes down it maynot come back up. Better to be facing that issue out of hours!

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Mon, Feb 15 2016 2:16 PM In reply to

• dori_bashan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • ISRAEL
    • Posts 647
    • Points 7,990

Thanks.

If you can, please find the battary type, it will help a lot.

90x Media Composer, 8x Symphony Nitris, 8x ISIS 5000, ,6x Pro Tools, 4x Assimilate SCRATCH Systems- Opus Post Production, ISRAEL. [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 15 2016 2:27 PM In reply to

Thanks ti Crispin for this info:

3v 210MAH part number 7830-00003-02

Looks to me like it maybe a CR2032 battery. But it would make sense to get it fromm Avid via support to be sure.

Who knows it may have Avid firmware loaded onboard :=)

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Mon, Feb 15 2016 2:35 PM In reply to

• dori_bashan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • ISRAEL
    • Posts 647
    • Points 7,990

Thanks!!!

• Mon, Feb 15 2016 4:41 PM In reply to

• dori_bashan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • ISRAEL
    • Posts 647
    • Points 7,990

Hi again,

Beofre opening the engine once again, can someone point me to the ISIS 5000 motherboard model so i can have a look on its diagrm to understand where the battary located?

Thanks!!!

• Tue, Feb 16 2016 2:48 PM In reply to

• dori_bashan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • ISRAEL
    • Posts 647
    • Points 7,990

Hi Pat

Is this an Avid P/N (7830-00003-02)?

Our Avid ressler doesn't seems to find it.

Thanks!

• Thu, Apr 7 2016 2:50 PM In reply to

If your Isis has been shut down abruptly without stopping the system manager etc it can kill the databases.  What you can do is put the clock back in the bios to before the power cut and let it rebuild using the old databases.  Once you are up and running again, do a clean shut down of the system director etc and then reboot and put the clock back to the current time.

PS.  Don't connect all your UPS based servers with dual supplies solely from the UPS.  What to do is have one of the Server supplies fed direct from the mains and the other from the UPS.  This way if either supply fails, then you can still shut down cleanly.

MC/SN 2018.6+7+8+9+12 x 16 Z400/420/440 PC's on W7 x64. 2 x Mac, 4 x PT 12.8.1 HDX, S6 all on PCs. ISIS 5000 X 2. [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller