Latest post Sun, Feb 14 2016 9:18 AM by ulrikhvid@gmail.com. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Feb 8 2016 6:28 PM

"Segmentation fault" occurs during color grading

Hi

I'm relatively new to Avid and have run into some trouble in my most recent project when trying to color grade. Color Correction will occasionally not react, and when I continuously try to make it work, I will eventually get the famous error message; "segmentation fault in thread mainthread at address 0x0".

Though things work alright 75% of the time, some clips refuse to be graded. I highlight the correct video track, open color correction mode, and try to make a correction. But whenever I move a slider or anything else, it will either tell me "Only CC Correction mode can be applied to filler" (now there's no doubt I have highlighted the right track, and that theres a video track on that track under the cursor) or worse, I will get the above error message, MC will freeze, and I will have to force quit it. Anyone tried anything like this before?

This short film has been shot on an old Hi8 camera (for artistic reasons), and I have had professionals digitize the footage. Project settings are 720p/50, editing timebase is 25 fps. The clips I'm working with are imported to ProRes 720. OS is 10.11.1 and MC version is 8.3.1 with Symphony option.

I tried clearing the database, which was the only advice I could find on google. No luck.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

• Mon, Feb 8 2016 6:41 PM In reply to

Re: "Segmentation fault" occurs during color grading

It might have something to do with rendering. I have put a crop effect on an upper video track, on the filler, so that it applies to the whole film (the point of this is another story). I have then rendered the whole film. Now the clips that have been rendered, or at least some of them, make these problems, until I remove the clip from the timeline and insert the exact same clip into the same place, now unrendered. I can apply color correction to the clip, and once it is applied, I can edit it without problems.

• Mon, Feb 8 2016 6:50 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

A systematic issue that can cause this is the way that Apple polls the binding order of its NICs at certain intervals. To make sure you account for this, create a LOCATION in your network prefs that contains ONLY the NIC that is attached to your storage. If that is ETHERNET, delete everything else in there that is NOT the ethernet connection.

This prevents the Mac from having to poll the binding order when traffic is coming through that NIC.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Mon, Feb 8 2016 7:00 PM In reply to

Also understand that the ONLY version of MC compatible with El Capitan (OX 10.11) is MC v8.5.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Mon, Feb 8 2016 7:02 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Kevin makes an excellent point. You are on the wrong OS for your version of MC.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Sun, Feb 14 2016 9:18 AM In reply to

Of course, thank you! I had disabled update notifications for other reasons, so I hadn't even considered it. Much appreciated :-)

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller