Latest post Fri, Feb 5 2016 9:03 PM by irwinpks. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Feb 5 2016 12:22 AM

• irwinpks
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 22 2011
    • Posts 72
    • Points 840

*** SOLVED *** How to De-activate license without being online. (Computer infected with Malware)

Hello,

My computer has been infected with Malware, and shutdown since. I'd like to de-activate the license so that I may reinstall after a reformat & reload of the operating system.  Would that require me to call in?  Trying to see if this can be done someway after Avid support hours (1-800-800-2843).

Thank you,

Irwin

AVID Media Composer 8.5 / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Intel i7-3820 3.6ghz, 16gb RAM, AMD Radeon HD 7700, 256gb SSD (OS & App only), 512gb SSD (Media)... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 5 2016 12:05 PM In reply to

Re: How to De-activate license without being online. (Computer infected with Malware)

Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

If you are re-installing on to the same machine then you should not have to un-install the licence.  The only gotcha is which network card you have as your default.  If you have manually chosen the Isis NIC as the primary NIC, then you will have to do the same on the rebuild for Avid licensing to see the MAC address of that card.  I have done this several times due to HDD failure and had no problems re-licensing with the on-line server.

P.S. If you want to clean the spyware off your HDD without booting from it, use another PC, boot it up and then mount the infected drive on it using a caddy of some sort.  Then scan and delete the drive of any nasties.

MC/SN 2018.6+7+8+9+12 x 16 Z400/420/440 PC's on W7 x64. 2 x Mac, 4 x PT 12.8.1 HDX, S6 all on PCs. ISIS 5000 X 2. [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 5 2016 2:20 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 1,814
    • Points 20,015
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Re: How to De-activate license without being online. (Computer infected with Malware)

Hello ShadenFreude,

PM me your Avid Master account email and Systems ID, I will deactivate it for you.

Regards,

Ralph

MacBook Pro 15 2018 Intel Core i7 2.6GHz Mac 10.13.6 Intel UHD 630. [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 5 2016 2:58 PM In reply to

RalphC:

Hello ShadenFreude,

PM me your Avid Master account email and Systems ID, I will deactivate it for you.

Regards,

Ralph

It's not me that needs the help btw.

MC/SN 2018.6+7+8+9+12 x 16 Z400/420/440 PC's on W7 x64. 2 x Mac, 4 x PT 12.8.1 HDX, S6 all on PCs. ISIS 5000 X 2. [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 5 2016 3:09 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 1,814
    • Points 20,015
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

ShadenFreude:

RalphC:

Hello ShadenFreude,

Regards,

Ralph

It's not me that needs the help btw.

Sorry my fault Sad, I meant irwinpks.

MacBook Pro 15 2018 Intel Core i7 2.6GHz Mac 10.13.6 Intel UHD 630. [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 5 2016 3:18 PM In reply to

• irwinpks
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 72
    • Points 840

ShadenFreude:

If you are re-installing on to the same machine then you should not have to un-install the licence.  The only gotcha is which network card you have as your default.  If you have manually chosen the Isis NIC as the primary NIC, then you will have to do the same on the rebuild for Avid licensing to see the MAC address of that card.  I have done this several times due to HDD failure and had no problems re-licensing with the on-line server.

It's the same machine, the nic will be the same too.

ShadenFreude:

P.S. If you want to clean the spyware off your HDD without booting from it, use another PC, boot it up and then mount the infected drive on it using a caddy of some sort.  Then scan and delete the drive of any nasties.

This has already been done.  I've used Malwarebytes Anti-malware and several virus scanning software: Norton / McAfee / AVG.  The drive has been fully scoured.  However, just to be certain that nothing is there, it would be best not to connect to the Internet.  The malware was a trojan, the ripped my passwords from Google Chrome password manager.  I've since changed everything that I've ever logged into (anything that was worthwhile, like financial sites, etc.).

At this point, I'm still not 100% convinced the software did a complete job, and it would be in my best interest to do a total wipe...and then I'll have full confidence of using the system again.

Thank you ShadenFreude

AVID Media Composer 8.5 / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Intel i7-3820 3.6ghz, 16gb RAM, AMD Radeon HD 7700, 256gb SSD (OS & App only), 512gb SSD (Media)... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 5 2016 9:03 PM In reply to

• irwinpks
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 72
    • Points 840

Thank you everyone...it's all squared away.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller