Latest post Fri, Jun 24 2016 2:49 PM by greendog. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 27 2016 7:58 AM

Keyboard settings

Hi all SmileBeen using MC 8.4.2 lately and upon startup my keyboard is NC English. I keep switching to MC English with the restore option but every time I leave and re-open MC, it's back to NC. It's very annoying because I have also custom keys on the MC keyboard that I must add each time. Any idea why this keeps happening and how I may solve it? Previously, this was never an issue with MC 7... Thanks Smile

• Wed, Jan 27 2016 1:31 PM In reply to

• miky
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 655
    • Points 8,270

Re: Keyboard settings

Hi, why don't you try creating a new keyboard and customize it. Then activate it. Leave the other one there, just in case, or delete it if Avdi keeps switching back to it.

M.C.
  • Wed, Jan 27 2016 4:23 PM In reply to

Do you mean duplicate the existing one and customize? I think this is my problem. The new one disappears and the older one reverts to NC... Looks like a database rebuild. I'll try your suggestion, though and report back.

• Thu, Jan 28 2016 7:17 AM In reply to

Well, as it turns out, the NC keyboard is always there and it's always the one that's active no matter what I do. I've also created another keyboard setting, though and I always enable this one every time I start MC. AS long as I don't delete the NC keyboard settings, I'm good to go. It's pretty weird, though... This was never an issue before... 

• Thu, Jan 28 2016 7:25 AM In reply to

One of the places I work had this problem (can't remember the exact version, but it was 8.something). Eventually we gave in and remapped the default NC keyboard so it matched the MC keyboard settings we wanted. It's a stupid workaround, but we couldn't figure out another way.

Media Composer 2018.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Thu, Jan 28 2016 11:34 AM In reply to

• miky
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 655
    • Points 8,270

Yeah, I myself noticed a few inconsistencies when it comes to keyboard settings in V8 versions.

For instance, when it comes to languages: if you delete all keyboards in MC, exit,  and configure Windows for English language, with an English keyboard, and restart MC, it defaults to a French layout on the default keyboard.

I don't know where it gets the French parameter from, since absolutely everything on Windows is configured for US english, but it does....

Weird....

Same as you, I just gave up and remapped.....

M.C.
  • Thu, Jan 28 2016 11:50 AM In reply to

Well, the problem in my case is that even if I remap the NC keyboard, everything's back to the beginning after a reboot or close and restart of the app. If it's a bug, we should report it and have Avid look into it, because it's very annoying...

• Thu, Jan 28 2016 12:06 PM In reply to

Hi.

After the ramap process, did you update your settings?

Do you have a duplicated keyboard?

cv

AVID MEDIA COMPOSER 5.5.3. PC. WINDOWS 7, SP1. 64BIT OPERATING SYSTEM. QUICK TIME VERSION 7.6.9. [view my complete system specs]

AVID USERS ECUADOR                                  

christianjhonsoon@hotmail.com

• Thu, Jan 28 2016 2:29 PM In reply to

What do you mean by "update settings". Aren't the settings automatically updated when any change is applied? And, yes, now I have two sets of keyboards - the second coming from duplicating the NC keyboard that keeps coming up. The only difference is that it is restored to default so that all shortcuts are there plus some customized by me (i.e. the "E" and "R" keys are set to trim to top and tail, accordingly). All I do is simply select the second keyboard and start cutting...

• Thu, Jan 28 2016 2:42 PM In reply to

happytrimmer:

What do you mean by "update settings". Aren't the settings automatically updated when any change is applied?. When you do changes in settings you need to update them (see the pic),

yes, now I have two sets of keyboards - the second coming from duplicating the NC keyboard that keeps coming up. I always use 1 keyboard and I always check this as my primary keyboard. Maybe ypu have your preferences in the other keyboard instead of the one you make favorite...just saying...

The only difference is that it is restored to default so that all shortcuts are there plus some customized by me (i.e. the "E" and "R" keys are set to trim to top and tail, accordingly). All I do is simply select the second keyboard and start cutting...

cv

AVID MEDIA COMPOSER 5.5.3. PC. WINDOWS 7, SP1. 64BIT OPERATING SYSTEM. QUICK TIME VERSION 7.6.9. [view my complete system specs]

AVID USERS ECUADOR                                  

• Thu, Jan 28 2016 3:24 PM In reply to

That's silly of me... It never occured to me that I should update my profile. I thought it as an automated process. Thanks so much, Christian, I'll do just that. This goes for your advice on system preferences, too :-) Will try it.

• Thu, Jan 28 2016 3:29 PM In reply to

If the problem persist, let us know.

happy to help!!

AVID USERS ECUADOR                                  

• Thu, Jan 28 2016 6:14 PM In reply to

You're very welcome, Christian Smile Well, I just tried what you suggested. Ok, I duplicate my NC keyboard, restore to default, customize, mark the new keyboard as active and delete the NC. As soon as I update my profile settings, I get a message about 1 new setting added and - guess what - the NC keyboard is there again... Am I doing something wrong?

• Fri, Jun 24 2016 2:49 PM In reply to

• greendog
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 76
    • Points 905

I'm on MC 8.2.8 with the Newscutter option and I'm having the same problem.  No matter what I do, it keeps defaulting to the NC setting.  It will even keep recreating the default NC setting after I delete it.

Filed under:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller