Latest post Wed, Jun 28 2017 9:49 AM by derTHOMMESisses. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Dec 24 2015 11:26 AM

• Petr Lom
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, May 26 2012
    • Amsterdam
    • Posts 72
    • Points 880

error message: Assertion failed FATAL ERROR

hi there, am getting the following error message:

Assertion failed: dvc.IsValid()

File:/Volumes/Data/Snapshots/relengmaverick3_1449185824/coresw/ame/src/msm/DIDReader.c,Line:5043

And then when I click continue, I get this:

Exception: FATAL_ERROR, msgFile:/Volumes/Data/Snapshots/relengmaverick3_1449185824/coresw/ame/src/msm/DIDReader.c,Line:5043

I am trying to relink a sequence back to its original AMA files, and then this error has come up. I can't work.

I have trashed all the databases on my harddrives, I have now upgraded to 8.4.4 (hoping it was a bug that would go away), I trashed the AMA folder in the application folder  none of this helps.

any advice?

merry christmas.

media composer 8.4.4.4for MAC running on operating system yosemite OS X 10.10.5 on a macbook pro 2.3 GHz intel core i7 with 16GB RAM. [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Dec 26 2015 3:48 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,520
    • Points 64,055
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: error message: Assertion failed FATAL ERROR

Probably a corrupt file.  See if you can isolate it by playing different parts of the sequence until you can find the bad clip(s) and then replace them with new imports/transcodes/whatever.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Mon, Dec 28 2015 10:29 AM In reply to

• Petr Lom
    • Not Ranked
    • Amsterdam
    • Posts 72
    • Points 880

hi there - i tried what you suggest - it's a two hour sequence, but when i split it into eight parts, i get the same error message in ALL the eight parts - so it seems it is something else other than a corrupt fille, unless there are so many corrupt files the whole thing is a mess....

any other ideas?

thanks! p.

media composer 8.4.4.4for MAC running on operating system yosemite OS X 10.10.5 on a macbook pro 2.3 GHz intel core i7 with 16GB RAM. [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 28 2015 11:19 AM In reply to

• Petr Lom
    • Not Ranked
    • Amsterdam
    • Posts 72
    • Points 880

here is what I tried: copy the sequence to a new bin, make a new projet, make new AMA folders for all the bins, relink all of the media with AMA, then try to relink the new sequence - but i get the same error message still....

any suggestions?

thanks.....

• Mon, Dec 28 2015 1:27 PM In reply to

• Petr Lom
    • Not Ranked
    • Amsterdam
    • Posts 72
    • Points 880

so the solution: make a new project, use a sequence that is not linked to any of the AMA, and now it works....

• Wed, Jun 22 2016 7:27 AM In reply to

I'm getting the same thing and I'm under a deadline.  I'm just getting sooooo sick of this nonsense year after year after year after year with Avid.  I've been with Avid 20 years now and it's one buggy release after another without Avid having ANY solutions or even suggestions, where it's just us on our own doing trial and error, wasting our sessions and sleep dealing with THEIR bad coding.  No wonder everyone's jumping ship to Premiere, I'm about to because at least with their minor bugs, they at least have more features than Avid has, basic things like DCP output.  My God, Avid was even, what, two years behind in getting 4K!?  It's becoming more of an IT-trouble-shoot than "editing" with Avid.

MC8/Symphony Option 8.8 Lenovo K450 nVidia GTX 780 ti (Superclocked) i7 4770 32GB RAM 750W Power [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 22 2016 4:15 PM In reply to

• Isaac T.
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 9 2006
    • New York / Knoxville, TN
    • Posts 746
    • Points 8,805

@Jayson Honeycutt:

Willing to do some troubleshooting?

1. What version of OS X are you running? (e.g. 10.9.5, 10.10.5, 10.11.4?)

2. What version of MC are you running? (e.g. 8.3.1, 8.4.4, 8.5.3?)

3. Is this the exact error you're experiencing?

Peter Lom:
    Assertion failed: dvc.IsValid()

File:/Volumes/Data/Snapshots/relengmaverick3_1449185824/coresw/ame/src/msm/DIDReader.c,Line:5043

4. What leads up to it?

I know you're under deadline. Just trying to help.

Mid-2010 Mac Pro • 2018 MacBook Pro [view my complete system specs]

isaact.co | Twitter | Instagram | Vimeo

Writer: The Frame.io WORKFLOW Guide - http://workflow.frame.io/

Post Workflow Consultant - https://isaact.co/

• Thu, Apr 27 2017 11:31 PM In reply to

Hi i have the same system error, i have mac 10.10.5,  I am on avid 8.4.5 and i will be happy to get some help since i cant work at all, 

Bless

• Fri, Apr 28 2017 2:25 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,204
    • Points 218,090
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

hello there

I can create a case and assist but need a bit more scoop.   when do you get the error message and what is the EXACT error.  There shoud be more to it than just 

Assertion failed FATAL ERROR

Also what mac are you on?

you can email me if you like or respond here.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, Jun 28 2017 9:49 AM In reply to

I´ve got the same problems. I also stayed with Avid vor decades. This will be my last Project on AVID MC.

I always let the systems run without updates. So I would assume such a software with approved machine run for years. And that works. On all my systems but... not with AVID. Out of a sudden these bugs and errors. Assertion faild ... main thread 0x0, Fatal error, Assertion failed, even on a "stable" (AVID support calls it so...) 8.3.1 MM on a 10.5.2 OS - only errors.

No problems with other machines running FCP, Premiere, ProTools or resolve. Just built a machine after another and let it run with the right version.

In former days this was great with avid too, but now...

I will have a closer look to more stable video-editor-NLEs. Sorry, this is not rocket-science anymore - welcome to 201x! I can´t rely on this anymore, but my old premiere cs 6 and fcp 7 are still running, and resolve is round the corner.

Sorry, this had to be said.

MacPro EightCore AVID Symphony Nitris MacPro QuadCore AVID MC 5.5 PowerMac G4 733 Meridien 1 AVID MC 10.6 ppc601e AVID Filmcomposer version 5 on NuVista... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller