Latest post Sat, Dec 12 2015 1:02 PM by usatraveler. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Dec 8 2015 11:12 AM

• rolfio
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 14 2011
    • Posts 15
    • Points 220

AMA transcode while already Editing AMA clips (linking)

Dear Avid,

I think it would be a very nice feature to transcode the material used in AMA clips and relink it directly in all the sequences.

I work a lot with AMA because of the length of our footage and there is no time to transcode the footage first. So it would be nice to transcode the footage bit by bit, but if the footage is already used in editing this is almost an impossible job. Because if there are different timelines containing the AMA footage already just one can be relinked at a time.

Should it be possible to transcode the AMA footage in the bin and replace the clips with the new transcoded clips? Instead of making .new01 clips that have to be relinked in every sequence?

Greetings,
    Rolf

• Tue, Dec 8 2015 1:26 PM In reply to

Re: AMA transcode while already Editing AMA clips (linking)

Put your AMA clips in their own bins.  Put your transcoded clips in other bins.

Close your AMA bins.  Open your transcoded bins.  Select all your transcoded clips.

Right-click your sequence (or select many sequences, then right-click) - Relink... use "Selected items in ALL open bins"

Your sequence relinks to transcoded media.

There are other ways to make it work as well, depending on your workflow.  One thing I do sometimes is to make copies of clips, and edit with the copies.  That way, I can relink those CLIPS to any media I want, and they'll automatically get populated to all sequences they're used in.  That way, I can have bins for AMA media, proxy media, full-res media - and then bins for "edit clips" that I relink to whichever media I choose.

Overall, there are a few different ways to do what you're asking.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Dec 8 2015 1:33 PM In reply to

• rolfio
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 15
    • Points 220

This workflow i already know indeed. But you have to do this with all the sequences you got. So if you have a backup or a other version it would be beter that the masterclip could be changed so everything is automaticly linked to the right material. Something like batch import but then for AMA.

• Tue, Dec 8 2015 1:44 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Just transcode the sequenses, you might want to do that with copies ( = alt - drag ) to their own bins

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Tue, Dec 8 2015 4:30 PM In reply to

• rolfio
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 15
    • Points 220

Then you will still have the same problem mentioned earlier.

• Tue, Dec 8 2015 4:30 PM In reply to

• rolfio
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 15
    • Points 220

Then you will still have the same problem mentioned earlier.

• Sat, Dec 12 2015 1:02 PM In reply to

There are workflows that should work for you, but I'm trying to get a good understanding of exactly what the problem is - for what you work on, do you generally USE almost all your raw media, or only a little of it?

And, when you transcode - do you want to transcode full master clips?  Or just the portions of the clips that were used?

If you want full clips, you can link everything, tuck that all away in LINKED bins and leave them there.  Duplicate those clips - you'll get clips that have ".Copy.01" at the end, but independent of the original clips.  Edit with these clips (I'll call these "Edit clips").  Rename them however you want, make your marks, etc. - your original set will remain unchanged.  Even if you relink these clips, the originals will stay as they are.

As you decide which full clips you want to transcode, you can transcode them - whether from your originals, or from your copies.  To assist you, you can even enable "Show reference clips" in your Sequences bin so you know exactly which master clips you used.  Transcode them.  When the transcodes finish, you can relink your "Edit clips" to the new transcoded media.  ALL sequences that use those clips will now point to the transcoded media.

Whatever the exact workflow you want - and I'm still not quite sure exactly what it is you want to do - there's a way to do it - most likely with some combination of master-clip duplication, transcoding, relinking.  Just trying to get an understanding of what the desired result is.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller