Latest post Wed, Dec 9 2015 10:12 AM by cccu tech. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Dec 7 2015 8:23 AM

• Susi
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London, UK
    • Posts 578
    • Points 6,655

Un-install and re-install; idiot-proof how-to?

Advised to un-install and re-install, and would love a step-by-step guide.
    In particular, I don't want to upgrade versions or OS just now.
    ('Perpetual Product' and Support are up to date.) 

Would value a 'maintenance' section on 'Tips and Tutorials'!
    Maybe my search terms are missing a trick - thanks for any pointers
    Susi 

Media Composer 8.6.4 on 15" mid-2012 Macbook Pro (OSX10.11.6) 2.7GHz Intel, 8GB RAM Gizmos: CanonXF200; Canon 550D (DSLR); Hero Go-Pro3 and 4; Sony... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 7 2015 10:49 AM In reply to

• cccu tech
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 17 2011
    • Posts 118
    • Points 1,350

Re: Un-install and re-install; idiot-proof how-to?

I just do this:

1. Go to Macintosh HD > Applications > Avid_Uninstallers > Media Composer

2. Run Media Composer Uninstaller.

3. Reinstall.

We use dongles so we don't need to deactivate anything prior to uninstalling.

Hope that helps.

Avid 5.5.3 Snow Leopard 10.6.8 2007 2x 2.8Ghx Quad Mac Pro 4GB Ram [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 7 2015 12:45 PM In reply to

• Susi
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 578
    • Points 6,655

Thank you so much.
    Just to check:

- do I leave the dongle attached throughout?
    - and how to re-install MC 7.0.4? 

Media Composer 8.6.4 on 15" mid-2012 Macbook Pro (OSX10.11.6) 2.7GHz Intel, 8GB RAM Gizmos: CanonXF200; Canon 550D (DSLR); Hero Go-Pro3 and 4; Sony... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 7 2015 1:40 PM In reply to

• cccu tech
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 118
    • Points 1,350

Don't think it matters, we leaves ours in even when reimaging completely.

Just go through and install as if you're starting from scratch Big Smile

Avid 5.5.3 Snow Leopard 10.6.8 2007 2x 2.8Ghx Quad Mac Pro 4GB Ram [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 7 2015 2:16 PM In reply to

My steps.

Backup all projects and users as a precaution.

Check you have the correct full isntaller for your license/dongle and that you OS version is supported in the readme.

If software activated de-activate. If dongle then just leave in.

Uninstall using the current uninstallers all the related Avid projects.

Re-boot system.

Check QT version is correct for the Version of MC to be installed.

Install MC from full installer.

Restart system.

Create new Project and User and test.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Mon, Dec 7 2015 3:18 PM In reply to

• Susi
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 578
    • Points 6,655

Thanks - so far so good with 7.0.5, even though it's not on the Version Matrix :(

But even with a new user and new 1080i/50 project as before, I'm still restricted to DNxHD 120 MXF resolution, for media creation and import and transcode and everything.
    (See original thread http://community.avid.com/forums/t/136688.aspx)

Would really like to have lower and higher res options; not sure what has changed!

• Mon, Dec 7 2015 4:01 PM In reply to

• Susi
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 578
    • Points 6,655

Eeeek - so I uninstalled and re-installed Avid.

Trashed all the databases, checked all the permissions, created new user and project - but still restricted to DNxHD120 in settings, and now when I try to import I'm told
    'There are no media drives available. You will only be able to import shot logs.'

Any pointers gratefully received

• Mon, Dec 7 2015 5:41 PM In reply to

Susi:
    Trashed all the databases
    Have they rebuilt?
    What happens if you rename the Avid MediaFiles folders temporarily to xAvid MediaFiles open a new project and try importing to each drive? 

Susi:
    checked all the permissions
    Have you repaired permissions and then checked all of the computer users have Read and Write permissions?

I have not needed to reset PRAM for years but, clutching at straws, it MIGHT be worth reading this

Good luck.

• Tue, Dec 8 2015 11:28 AM In reply to

• Susi
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 578
    • Points 6,655

Thanks Pat, and Andrew - yes, databases re-built, and read/write permissions were fine
    Can't see why on earth a PRAM reset would make a difference to something so specific, but it seemed to work!

Still a pretty limited range of DNxHD options: 85, 120, 185 and 185 X, but better than just the one.

Advice still welcome; if I work within the new project from now on, opening bins from the established project within it

• what problems should I look out for as the work goes forward, and 
    • are there ways of avoiding/minimising them?

Not a good time right now to go and check any other recent projects clients might want re-visiting, but that could be interesting/boring/worrying. (It's been very short quick turnaround stuff recently until the current tangle, so I wasn't worried about using anything other than final resolution DNxHD 185 for the clips I wanted to transcode, etc.)
    Delighted if anyone's got experiences to share about this, too.
    Thanks again everyone
    Love this forum 

• Tue, Dec 8 2015 12:51 PM In reply to

• cccu tech
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 118
    • Points 1,350

Hmm, odd...  Sorry to hear about the troubles.

As you're falling foul of the matrix it's possible you may not be able to fix or get round these issues...

The no media drives bit, where are you normally importing/capturing/consolidating/transcoding to?  If the databases are rebuilding then permissions should be fine... If it's a networked drive you might need to put in the alldrives command again, but then again the databases wouldn't have rebuilt until you input the command...

Are you using the same user, as in mac log in, as originally?  The same that installed Avid (with admin privileges)?  If not you will need to either give the log in full admin rights, or run Avid as an admin user after installing to automatically create any necessary folders with the correct privileges - don't know why the installer doesn't create all the relevant folders/files, but it doesn't - and then you can use your normal non admin account as normal.

What are your options like with DNxHD at the other end of the process?  If you export and do a custom export will it let you use the other DNx options?  Will any other app let you use the other options?  If you go to your Macintosh HD > Library > QuickTime folder how many Avid codec files can you see there, just out of interest?  We have 11... Anyway, you might need to sort out the permissions there...

When trashing/rebuilding the databases did you trash the AMA Management ones?  They're in Macintosh HD > Users > Shared > AvidMediaComposer > AMA Management.  That shouldn't affect any of what you've described but it's another area to be aware of.

• Tue, Dec 8 2015 3:49 PM In reply to

• Susi
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 578
    • Points 6,655

Thanks, ccu tech - some answers to your questions:

The media drives are always external hard drives (often partitioned) and I'm the only user.
    Likewise, its only ever the same old identity logging into the macbook pro, but using a new user profile for Avid now.
    And this job's now housed in a new Avid project, into which I've opened existing bins of existing links, transcodes and edits, subtitles etc.

Only ever directly export the odd .jpg framegrab or .wav file, otherwise its QTrefs for Squeeze to encode wtih.

Within Library≥QT folder are 31 'component' files, but I don't see any with a 'codec' suffix or 'Kind' description.
    And I've never gone near the AMA Management databases! If they're not broke, I won't try to fix them...

There's so much Avid can do that I don't explore - but still a fan :) 

Happy editing

• Wed, Dec 9 2015 10:12 AM In reply to

• cccu tech
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 118
    • Points 1,350

The codec files just have a .component extenstion so they don't directly associate as codec files, but that's what and where they are.  We have just 19 total, 11 of which say Avidsomethingsomething, so 31 is a lot!  Do you have anything like Perian installed?  That type of codec pack has been known to cause problems in the past and fortunately it's no longer being developed so nobody really uses it anymore so the problems have largely gone away.

Anyway, having said that, if you can see Avid DNxHD 85, 120, 185 and 185 X then that's correct for a 1080i/50 project - as shown in Kevin's pic from the other thread - so, by hook or crook, your codec problems may have been fixed!

Kevin's Pic

Going further, can you see the other non DNxHD codecs?  And if you create a 1080p/25 project, or flip your project format, can you see a DNxHD 36 option?  Media Creation codec options are restricted by project format.

QT Refs are the way to go so it's good you are using that work flow, but you should be able to see a lot more Avid DNx options for your exports.  If you create a custom export can you see things like 220, 175, 110?  There should be around 40 options....

Are the hard drives and partitions mounted properly?  You can get the occassional error where drives are readable but not writeable so try unplugging and replugging.  Dumb question, are they Mac formatted drives?

Just keep a mental note of the AMA Management folder so you know where to look if you have AMA problems Stick out tongue

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller