Latest post Sun, Nov 22 2015 12:51 PM by usatraveler. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Nov 12 2015 3:01 PM

AMA import or not to AMA?

Hi. I´ve got a project I been reckording for three months this summer. The total amount of footage is 750 GB.

I been shouting with a Panasonic ag-ac90 (AVCCAM) 29.97, 1920x1080p, 21 Mbps, a Gopro Hero3 and I will Use some old footage from transcoded from VHS and old small video tapes. 

All files from the panasonic are MTS and I´ve been reading al day about different advantages and disadvantages how to run my project.

I been logging 100gb but that project is weird. Something with the AMA plug in (which I imported thru; link to media; auto-detect) changed the progressive to interlaced???, and I cant se the waveforms in my timeline now and the Avid MC8 has shut down three times after not respondning.

I have all my footage at a external harddrive (seagate 4T expansion).

Have should I do? Any p
    roposal from someone with experience? This is my first documentary and I guess i will save a lot of time if I do it correct from the begining.

Import normal with a DNxHD codec of 220 or AMA? How will a "normal" import affect my workflow with 750 gb?

My computer; Acer Aspire MC605 with 8G frame memory.

Thanks for any kind of help: 

Emil, (Sweden)

• Thu, Nov 12 2015 3:54 PM In reply to

• dmfreeman
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,850
    • Points 24,220

Re: AMA import or not to AMA?

Hi Emil,

I would Link to the files, and import them.  Then transcode to the format that you would like to work with.  It is much faster than importing.

Denny

Media Composer 8.5.4, BCC 10.0.0074, AvidDVD 6.4.4, Boris Red 5.5.2.1382, Asus P9X79 Pro Motherboard with Intel 3930K Processor. 32 gigs DDR3 ram, Windows... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 12 2015 4:26 PM In reply to

For AVCHD - the Avid AVCHD plugin doesn't properly recognize field order.  Enable the "Field Motion" column in your bin, select all your clips, and click to change it to "Progressive."

For video media, I practically NEVER use the "import" command anymore.  AMA/linking is quick, convenient, allows multiple different workflow options.  You probably should not have to use "import" for this project at all.

For AVCHD, I often link it, set my field order in the bin, then transcode almost immediately.  AVCHD is just not easy to work with natively.

When I transcode, I generally like to keep my original linked media in its own bins - nothing else goes with it.  When I transcode, those transcoded clips go in other bins.  Easier to do later relinking that way (using the "Selected items in ALL open bins" method).

Depending on how much raw media you have, you might choose DNxHD-220 (or maybe 145, as the originals are AVCHD and I don't think 220 will buy you much).

OR, if you have huge amounts - one thing I like to do in newer versions (8.3 or later) of MC is to use DNxHR proxies.  You can transcode your raw media to DNxHR-LB at either 1/4 or 1/16 of the source resolution.  These files are rather small, but still look good enough for you to evaluate content.  If you need to send a cut, they work just as any other Avid-native media, you can export a QuickTime Reference of them and encode using Squeeze or whatever else.

When it's time for higher-resolution outputs, you can close your transcoded bins, select all your AMA/linked media, and relink your sequence to selected media in all open bins.  That instantly links you back to your original files - and you can then do a mixdown, or transcode your sequence to DNxHD so that you get just the clips that are used in your sequence.

As a VERY general rule - if I have lots of media where I'm going to use most of it, and I have enough space to do it, I like to transcode to a high-rate DNxHD or ProRes at the beginning of the project.  If I'm going to use only a little of it, or I don't have much space, I might transcode to a proxy, then relink and transcode.

Up to you, really - and up to what you have.  But the idea here is that there are many options.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 13 2015 7:58 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Hej Emil , hi Emil

Happy to take a Skype chat with you if you like to , just pm me .

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Mon, Nov 16 2015 7:29 PM In reply to

Thanks dmfreeman. Begin to learn now about the codec and transcode. Still surprised why my AMA-plug make the files interlaced. I read that maybe the camera have a so called; False; progressive...?

• Mon, Nov 16 2015 7:30 PM In reply to

Sounds great Mjolnarn. my skypename is; emilmoberglunden. How about tomorrow? are u from sweden?

• Mon, Nov 16 2015 7:41 PM In reply to

Thanks a lot usatraveler. 

Very good tips and advices.

I tried to use; proxy of and went on with XDCAM EX 35 MXF. What do you think about that? Is DNxHR HQ a better option. With proxy on i only have DNxHR options.

Otherwise i got DNxHD 220 or 145.

Totally i got 16 SD cards with 64 gb on each of them. About 60-70 hours film. Would u still transcode everything immediately or wait for logging to be done and then only take/use those clips that U kinda shore that u will use in your first rough cut?

Do u know why they codec that was created thru the AMA happend to be just h.264 and interlaced in i Progressive project? 

• Tue, Nov 17 2015 7:50 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

emilmoberglunden:

Sounds great Mjolnarn. my skypename is; emilmoberglunden. How about tomorrow? are u from sweden?

Tomorrow ( = today ) will be fine , just added you on skype

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Sun, Nov 22 2015 12:51 PM In reply to

XDCamEX is a "long-GOP" codec - long-GOP meaning that frame data is encoded in "Groups of Pictures" - where one frame in a group is a "i-frame," then the data in the other frames around it is calculated based on that i-frame.  So, it makes the computer work a little harder.  At the same time, that grouping is how long-GOP formats get their low bitrates and file sizes while still looking very good.

Still, XDCamEX works very well on many systems, it's not as processor-intensive as something like H.264 - so for the purpose of just rough-cutting while keeping small file sizes, it might work great for your needs!  When I work with XDCamEX raw media, I usually just consolidate it and work with it for the whole project, because it works well.  It doesn't take up as much space as some other codecs, but still looks very good.

When you put proxy on, correct - you do get only DNxHR-LB (low bandwidth) options.  DNxHR-LB proxies are small files.  DNxHR is a "intraframe" codec - each frame's data stands on its own - VERY easy for the processor.  That's why codecs like DNxHD/DNxHR/ProRes are great for editing.

With THAT much raw media, I'd consider transcoding to a DNxHR proxy, if I didn't mind the footage looking very low-quality in the early parts of the process.  DNxHR-LB - 1/16 source size would make for small files that would look very grainy/blocky - which I have no problem with while I'm just looking for shot types and listening to audio.

However - depending on how the logging process works, you might wait to transcode.  If you're cutting many, many hours of media in the logging process, and you can do it without transcoding, you can wait, and maybe transcode to something higher-quality at that time if you have space.  Your choice.

As for the AMA codec - again, Avid's AVCHD AMA plugin doesn't properly recognize the field order of progressive AVCHD media.  You need to enable the "field order" column in your bin, select all your clips, and change one to Progressive.  The rest will change automatically.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller