Latest post Fri, Nov 6 2015 8:13 PM by camoscato. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Oct 23 2015 10:08 AM

• Jamesish
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 21 2015
    • Posts 6
    • Points 120

Left stranded with no Media Composer

Locked Contact

Because of windows 10 I'm now left with a Media Composer that won't work. I was advised, at length, via emails how to sort this out (taking up many hours of my time) only to be told that I can no longer get the upgrades I need. 

Is this what happens with Avid - after four years your left with a program that doesn't work?  I spent hundreds of pounds on MC, and for it to now be defunct (and at a time when I need it most) seems unethical.

Is it just me?

And when I raised the issue of complaining to the above-mentioned email contact, I suddenly got no response.

• Fri, Oct 23 2015 12:35 PM In reply to

• Pheral
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sylva, NC USA
    • Posts 966
    • Points 12,235

Re: Left stranded with no Media Composer

Locked Contact

Jamesish:
    Because of windows 10 I'm now left with a Media Composer that won't work.

Is this because you upgraded to Windows 10?  Why not just re-install Windows 7?

Media Composer v8.9.2 | Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit | Supermicro X10DAi | Intel Xeon E5-2620 v4 Broadwell (x2) | Noctua NH-D9DX i4 (x2) | PNY GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Oct 24 2015 1:28 AM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,322
    • Points 53,440

Locked Contact

I believe the user is running MC 5

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 8.4. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 15/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Sat, Oct 24 2015 7:12 AM In reply to

Locked Contact

As you've found out, Avid hasn't released any version that works with Windows 10 yet.  Your license for MC5 is still good, though, so if you can get your system back to Windows 7, or install MC5 on a system running Windows 7, that should work.

Media Composer 2018.12.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Tue, Oct 27 2015 3:39 PM In reply to

• Jamesish
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 120

Locked Contact

I brought a new computer in the hope of speeding up MC for some upcoming work, but have discovered that MC5 just won't work. Apparently the specs of a new computer aren't compatible. And anyway, rolling back to other Windows programs sounds difficult, and I'm not very technical.

On top of this, Avid have wasted hours of my time being deliberately vague - obviously legally unable to simply say that it's end-of-life for the program.

Does anyone have a complaints email address? 

• Tue, Oct 27 2015 5:43 PM In reply to

Locked Contact

Jamesish:
    Does anyone have a complaints email address? 

You can send an email to Gerald Gonzalez at Avid (gerald.gonzalez@avid.com). He's their customer advocate, and while I don't know if there's anything he can do for you, he's the guy you should contact if you want to complain.

Media Composer 2018.12.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

• Tue, Oct 27 2015 5:51 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,240
    • Points 15,655
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Locked Contact

This forum is actually the best place to file complaints, because everyone inside Avid in charge of service gets an email delivered to them every time someone posts something to these forums. Or at the very least, someone sees a customer in need of something and forwards it to the right people.

That said... No one I can find anywhere on social media or on any of Avid's webpages has been the least bit vague about the old MC5 app being only 32-bit and thus incompatible with any new Windows-based computer, especially Windows 10... Much the same way Apple hasn't been vague about someone loading Final Cut 7 on a new MacPro trashcan.

Can you point to web pages, emails from sales reps or other sources to support your claim that someone at Avid has behaved incorrectly? Did someone from Avid mislead you into buying a non-qualified CPU? 

For reference, here is a public link to all EOL Avid products: (Link); a public link to all qualified CPUs for MC5.0 (Link) on which, page 10 lists Windows XP, Vista and Win7 as the only qualified operating systems.

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: Follow @heybove

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD (What Would Larry Do?)
    WWND (What Would Norman Do?)

• Thu, Oct 29 2015 11:45 AM In reply to

• Jamesish
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 120

Locked Contact

It's not what they've said (I'm sure legally they wouldn't put a foot wrong), it's more the ethics.

Firstly, I paid hundreds of pounds for a product which, as soon as I updated my computer, is no longer functional - unless I maintain a computer with outdated software (but I'm not technical, and such a thing seems nightmarishly complex).

Secondly, it's the way I've been treated by Avid. The (unfortunately becoming accepted) norm of debilitating treatment by corporations - their being obscure, stalling and wasting my time because individual voices are treated as worthless noise.

Anyway, in short I was genuinely shocked to find that once I'd brought a new computer I'd lost MC.

• Thu, Oct 29 2015 11:57 AM In reply to

Locked Contact

Jamesish:
    I paid hundreds of pounds for a product which, as soon as I updated my computer, is no longer functional...

I sympathize with your plight, but as with anything you're spending a lot of money on, a little research would've helped you avoid this problem. Page 10 of the ReadMe file that came with Media Composer 5 lists the operating systems it will work with.  If you want to run the latest operating system, you have to make sure the software you're using is compatible with it, and that's true for all software, not just Media Composer.

Jamesish:
    Secondly, it's the way I've been treated by Avid. The (unfortunately becoming accepted) norm of debilitating treatment by corporations - their being obscure, stalling and wasting my time because individual voices are treated as worthless noise.

Again, you ought to get in touch with Gerald Gonzalez. If there's any help that can be provided, he's the one that will be able to do it.

Jamesish:
    Anyway, in short I was genuinely shocked to find that once I'd brought a new computer I'd lost MC.

The thing is, you haven't lost MC. You've still got it, you just need to install an operating system that's compatible with it. If you're not technical, it's the sort of thing a local PC shop could do for you relatively cheaply.

• Thu, Oct 29 2015 1:25 PM In reply to

Locked Contact

Reminds me of when I decided that the horse and cart I used to ride to work was just too slow so I decided to feed the horse diesel instead. Poor thing died. I'd not bothered to look up and check if that was ok (lots of info online saying it wasn't) Wasn't sure who I should blame for that. Went back to the guy who sold me the horse 6 or 7 years earlier but he wasn't interested. Spoke to Shell who made the diesel and they just laughed. So where did that leave me? (Note I'm no VET so unable to make the horse better)

So may simple solutions here.

Keep using MC V5 on the same hardware.

Check what hardware and OS is supported for that, now very old MC Version, and source that hardware OS

Pay somebody who is technically minded to solve it for you.

Join the subscription programme and get the current MC version (which isn't yet supported for Windows 10 but will be in the future) You may downgrade to windows 7 as part of the windows 10 OS license. And yes you would need to know how to do that but that level of technical experience abounds and is pretty much a requirement for modern editing.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Thu, Oct 29 2015 3:05 PM In reply to

• Jamesish
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 120

Locked Contact

The abuse of dumb animals is an interesting simile – especially as I identify more with the horse in this situation than with the utilitarian mindset of many humans and businesses.  

• Thu, Oct 29 2015 5:32 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,567
    • Points 45,800
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Locked Contact

From a software developer's standpoint (and I've been a developer for 40 years), you can't guarentee compatibility of a particular version of a product with every version of OS on multiple platforms unless the hardware developers guarentee full backwards compatibilty to the OS developers AND the OS developers guarentee backwards compatibilty to the software developers. So let me ask you: How well does Windows 3.1 run on your brand new machine? and is your ISA based sound card supported?

There is nothing unethical going on here. MS and/or Apple updates their OS, and Avid develops a new version of MC to run on them. Older versions may or may not get the updates to run on the new OS as well. Very old versions are not llikely to get an update as the solution is to update to a newer version. This is how the entire software industry works.

Avid is actually better than most companies at maintaining older versions of the software. MC 5.5 was updated in February, 2014. And if you're running a version before 5.5, then you are out of luck as these versions are no longer supported at all (I believe there are 3rd party licenses involved that have expired, but don't quote me on that).

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Fri, Nov 6 2015 12:42 PM In reply to

• Jamesish
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 120

Locked Contact

I've now discovered blender - entirely free, and does a lot more than avid. I wish I'd discovered this before!

• Fri, Nov 6 2015 2:35 PM In reply to

• conleec
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 1,320
    • Points 17,065

Locked Contact

Well there's 10 minutes of my life that I'll never get back; but it was entertaining to read. A sad example of the "occupy" mindset, I'm sorry to say. The world owes me everything. Sigh..

Conlee

MacPro 3.33Ghz 12 Core (Westmere, MacPro 5,1), 48Gb RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 680, Intensity Pro (Desktop Video 10.4.3), OS X 10.13.6, MC 2018.12 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 6 2015 7:13 PM In reply to

• Mark
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 19 2010
    • Posts 432
    • Points 4,660

Locked Contact

Jamesish:
    I've now discovered blender - entirely free

There's a universe of free software. Peruse www.sourceforge.net for starters. Perhaps someone will start a freeware NLE, 3D, VFX, CODEC, DAW, etc he likes thread in the General Discussion & Off-Topic forum.

[edit for grammar]

MC 8.7.2. HP Z400, Xeon W3580, 24GB ECC RAM, BMD Decklink Studio 4K, Desktop Video 10.3, Quadro K4200, 362.13 OS & programs: 600GB 10k, video: 1TB... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller