Latest post Tue, Oct 13 2015 7:51 PM by RalphC. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Oct 6 2015 7:48 PM

• denniscasey
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • St. Paul, Minnesota
    • Posts 658
    • Points 8,370

Need Advice: How to edit i-Phone video in MC7??

I normally edit AVCHD in MC7.0.4.  Today I was sent i-Phone video (1920X1080) for first time to edit.  Since I am codec challenged I expected all kinds of problems.  However I simply AMA linked to i-Phone video clips and transcoded to DNxHD145 and everything worked fine including adding clip to my AVCHD timeline.  EXCEPT, i-Phone video is upside down.  Clips play right side up just fine in QT Player (I tested before trying to bring them into MC).   Is there a simple step I needed to do before AMA linking or transcoding to avoid upside down problem--maybe "import" instead of AMA link??  Or do I need to add some effect to clip on timeline to rotate it and have clips play right side up?  Thank you for advice.  Dennis

MC6.5.2 SYSTEM: Asus P6X58D Premium; Intel i7-930 2.8 Ghz; PNY FX1800 GPU;500 GB RAID 1 System Drives; 1 TB RAID 0 Media Drives; 12 GB triple channel RAM;... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 6 2015 7:59 PM In reply to

• denniscasey
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • St. Paul, Minnesota
    • Posts 658
    • Points 8,370

Re: Need Advice: How to edit i-Phone video in MC7??

Been doing some quick checking--is "flip image" what I need to use if I have to use Avid FX to get video right side up--just want to avoid rendering time if there is a better way to get image right side up before I bring into MC? 

MC6.5.2 SYSTEM: Asus P6X58D Premium; Intel i7-930 2.8 Ghz; PNY FX1800 GPU;500 GB RAID 1 System Drives; 1 TB RAID 0 Media Drives; 12 GB triple channel RAM;... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 6 2015 8:19 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 1,638
    • Points 18,000
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Hi Dennis,

The easiest way is to use Flip-Flop or 3D effect to rotate the image.

Regards,

RalphC

MacBook Pro 15 2018 Intel Core i7 2.6GHz Mac 10.13.6 Intel UHD 630. [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 7 2015 1:00 AM In reply to

• denniscasey
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • St. Paul, Minnesota
    • Posts 658
    • Points 8,370

Thank you Ralph, I'll do that.  I would like to know if i-Phone video just "naturally" comes into MC upside down or is there something I can tell people who want me to edit i-Phone video to avoid getting upside down video (i.e. some setting on i-PHone, way they hold i-phone (at least they shot "sideways" instead of vertically).  Not a big deal to apply flip effect, but why do it if there is a way to work with i-Phone video (which more people are using) either on my side or filming side and have it come in right side up.

• Wed, Oct 7 2015 1:16 AM In reply to

Probably the way they hold it - the phone adds a metadata flag to rotate the video when it's "upside down," and QuickTime recognizes that flag and plays the video properly - but I guess that flag isn't recognized by Avid or its QuickTime AMA plugin.  Figure out which way is "right side up" (i.e. home button on the left, or on the right), and try to get people to shoot that way.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.5 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 7 2015 1:25 AM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,336
    • Points 16,425

Also be aware that iPhone video is variable frame rate, so once you transcode you really can't go back.  You might want to consider transcoding with the correct orientation baked in.

• Wed, Oct 7 2015 1:33 AM In reply to

• denniscasey
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • St. Paul, Minnesota
    • Posts 658
    • Points 8,370

Thanks usatraveler--very good advice and if I have a chance to tell person filming via i-Phone before they film I will urge them to film "right side up" to begin with.  Almost all my editing is AVCHD so never took time to learn settings and so forth that might help if I need to edit other formats (like just happened).  Accordingly I still have hopes that I am missing some setting within MC that will allow me to bring i-Phone footage in "right side up."  However, from what you are saying MC or its QuickTime AMA plugin will not be able to get things right side up (given MC focus on just broadcast media although I bet broadcast media is dealing with lots of i-Phone video now). 

• Wed, Oct 7 2015 1:42 AM In reply to

• denniscasey
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • St. Paul, Minnesota
    • Posts 658
    • Points 8,370

I am learning many things about this and thank you smrpix for heads up as I was headed right down path you warn about--I only did one trial clip so far so on rest of clips I will make sure I have "right side up" BEFORE I transcode.  Would workflow be AMA link to clip and then load that onto timeline before transcoding, then apply flip Avid FX to clip on timeline, and then somehow transcode clip on timeline--I think I would click on project icon and transcode that???  I just don't know how to apply effect in source window--if possible to apply effect in source window I guess I could get clip right side up in source window, then made a subclip of that and then transcode the right side up sub-clip? 

• Wed, Oct 7 2015 1:45 AM In reply to

• denniscasey
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • St. Paul, Minnesota
    • Posts 658
    • Points 8,370

Getting late for me so excuse my fuzzy thinking--but if I follow Ralph's earlier helpful advice and apply Avid FX flip effect to upside down transcoded clip on timeline will I have issues like smpix warns about?

• Sat, Oct 10 2015 2:38 PM In reply to

• denniscasey
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • St. Paul, Minnesota
    • Posts 658
    • Points 8,370

Results report: At end of day just using Flip Effect as RalphC mentioned and I considered at beginning was easiest/quickest and everything worked fine.  I will also figure out right way to film with iPhone to begin with as usatraveler suggested to avoid "upside down" issue to begin with.  Thanks for suggestions

• Tue, Oct 13 2015 2:18 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Posts 1,638
    • Points 18,000
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

denniscasey:

Results report: At end of day just using Flip Effect as RalphC mentioned and I considered at beginning was easiest/quickest and everything worked fine.  I will also figure out right way to film with iPhone to begin with as usatraveler suggested to avoid "upside down" issue to begin with.  Thanks for suggestions

I don't have an iPhone Stick out tongue, but if you figure out the right way to shot let us know.

Regards,

Ralph

MacBook Pro 15 2018 Intel Core i7 2.6GHz Mac 10.13.6 Intel UHD 630. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 13 2015 7:45 PM In reply to

• denniscasey
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • St. Paul, Minnesota
    • Posts 658
    • Points 8,370

RalphC:

denniscasey:

I don't have an iPhone Stick out tongue, but if you figure out the right way to shot let us know.

Regards,

Ralph

Ralph,

As USAtraveler mentioned, orienting iPhone correctly seems to be the key.  For those of us who don't normally video with iPhone that is something to remember.  I have iPhone 4S and on that model with phone held horizontally (as recommended by others) my experiments showed having the "shutter release or video record button" on the right (as viewed from screen side) gives right side up video or photo.

Here is experiment I did which applies to both still photos I took and also video:

With iPhone horizontal and "photo release/video record" "button" on right the video I shot was right side up when originally played in Windows Media Player and QT Player (same applies to still photos I took).  AMA link came into MC right side up and loaded onto Timeline right side up.

With iPhone horizontal but still/video iPhone button on left Windows Media player showed video and still photo upside down.  As earlier poster on this thread pointed out (sorry but don't have person"s name), however, QT Player has ability to recognize right side up (metadata?) so QT Player played video and photo right side up.  The left button video AMA linked and loaded/played upside down in MC.

So my takeaway is to alert people to shoot iPhone video/photo with iPhone horizontal and video record button on the right to help MC editor avoid correcting orientation while editing.

Hope this helps anyone who will be shooting iPhone video for first time to "do it right."  Dennis

• Tue, Oct 13 2015 7:51 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Posts 1,638
    • Points 18,000
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

denniscasey:

RalphC:

denniscasey:

Regards,

Ralph

Ralph,

As USAtraveler mentioned, orienting iPhone correctly seems to be the key.  For those of us who don't normally video with iPhone that is something to remember.  I have iPhone 4S and on that model with phone held horizontally (as recommended by others) my experiments showed having the "shutter release or video record button" on the right (as viewed from screen side) gives right side up video or photo.

Here is experiment I did which applies to both still photos I took and also video:

With iPhone horizontal and "photo release/video record" "button" on right the video I shot was right side up when originally played in Windows Media Player and QT Player (same applies to still photos I took).  AMA link came into MC right side up and loaded onto Timeline right side up.

With iPhone horizontal but still/video iPhone button on left Windows Media player showed video and still photo upside down.  As earlier poster on this thread pointed out (sorry but don't have person"s name), however, QT Player has ability to recognize right side up (metadata?) so QT Player played video and photo right side up.  The left button video AMA linked and loaded/played upside down in MC.

So my takeaway is to alert people to shoot iPhone video/photo with iPhone horizontal and video record button on the right to help MC editor avoid correcting orientation while editing.

Hope this helps anyone who will be shooting iPhone video for first time to "do it right."  Dennis

Yes

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller