Latest post Mon, Sep 21 2015 2:02 PM by fss_. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Sep 15 2015 3:37 PM

• fss_
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 16 2015
    • New York City
    • Posts 80
    • Points 880

Sleep [|-)] nudge clips with numeric pad

the possibility of nudging clips in the timeline by entering the number of frames through numeric pad.

final cut 1 had this option and premiere has it to. 

extremely useful

MacProlate 2013 // AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB // OS 10.14.6 // 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 // 24 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 ECC // MC 8.8.5 [view my complete system specs]

--

keep on cutting 

Filed under:
  • Tue, Sep 15 2015 11:31 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,387
    • Points 97,025

Re: nudge clips with numeric pad

I hope that Avid don't do this, because it would lose a function that Avid already has.  That function can be used to do what you want, in any case.  Open your edit for trimming, then on the numeric keypad type the amount you want to move by and press enter.  Prefix with a + to move towards the end of the timeline and a - to move towards the start.  It will default to working in timecode values, so that +4321 will move your trim 43:21 towards the end.

You can modify that behaviour.  If you type +4321F you will move your trim 4321 frames.

If you don't open a trim the numeric keypad can be used to move the cursor in the timeline.  If you don't prefix the value that you type with a + or - the value that you type will be interpreted as absolute.  In the example above, 4321 would take you to hh:mm:43:21 on your timeline.  In this example hh:mm represent the hours and minutes that your currently parked in.  If instead you had typed 554321 you would have jumped to hh:55:43:21.

Finally, to make that function even more powerful, the . key on the keypad works as 00 when entering timecode.  So do you still want to change this function to a more limited trim function?

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 16 2015 7:26 PM In reply to

• fss_
    • Not Ranked
    • New York City
    • Posts 80
    • Points 880

yes I know all that, thanks.

I'm talking about adding, no need to remove any functionality Avid already has. Why should they ?

Now, in edit mode, if you lasso select a clip and type numbers in key pad, the timeline reader (cursor) moves, nothing else. To do that, you don't need to have any clip selected, correct ? So, why not, when you have a clip selected, when typing numbers makes this clip nudge left - and right + ?

MacProlate 2013 // AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB // OS 10.14.6 // 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 // 24 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 ECC // MC 8.8.5 [view my complete system specs]

--

keep on cutting 

• Wed, Sep 16 2015 8:18 PM In reply to

I think I like this request, having used it in FCP and Premiere.

Essentially, you're adding a function, without removing anything.

Right now, when you use +/- and a number on the keypad, the position bar moves, no matter whether you're in segment mode or not.  With this suggestion, the idea is to add a modifier.  When segment mode is ENABLED and clips selected, you would type in +/- and a timecode, and the clip would move that far.  Right now, it's a two-step thing - you select your selection, type in the offset, and then snap-drag your selection to the position bar.

Right now, it's available to a lesser extent - in 1-frame and 10-frame increments.  Select your clips in segment mode, and then type your trim shortcut keys to move the clips.  But there's not so much precision in that.  If I want to take my clip and move it exactly 5 seconds forward for whatever reason, that's a multi-step process.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 16 2015 9:17 PM In reply to

• fss_
    • Not Ranked
    • New York City
    • Posts 80
    • Points 880

Exactly, in FC and Premiere it's been there since the begining

And actually, in last version of premiere, this way of nudging clips has a double option:

nudging the clip AND dragging the end or start of the adjacent clip (if there is one) 

OR

nudging and creating filler space in between.
    (that also existed in final cut, the second option of the slip tool) 

(maybe in AVID it could depend on whether you're in SEGMENT or OVERWRITE)

NO to multi-steps process (the lesser clicks, shortcuts and moving around, the better)

--

keep on cutting 

• Wed, Sep 16 2015 11:01 PM In reply to

How about adding an "open numeric dialog for nudge function" to the Alt mapping for the default nudge keys ( < and > )

• Thu, Sep 17 2015 12:55 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,387
    • Points 97,025

But in doing that you have to in some way cripple the existing functionality.  They are mutually contradictory.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 17 2015 2:32 AM In reply to

jwrl:
    They are mutually contradictory.
    I have trouble seeing this.   Surely the four nudge keys at present have hard coded move "y" frames  where y is fixed as -10 or -1 or +1 or +10 frames. Program Alt nudge +1 or -1 keys so it alters the nudge value from 1 to x frames where x is whatever number is entered in an Alt nudge stimulated pop up dialog box.

I find that nudging in combinations of (rapid) 10 frames and (fine) + or -1 frames fits my way of working 99% of the time.Geeked  

• Thu, Sep 17 2015 3:21 AM In reply to

• fss_
    • Not Ranked
    • New York City
    • Posts 80
    • Points 880

I believe there's absolutely nothing wrong with the amazing standard keyboard mapping of Avid (+ customization of course) , I've been using the same for final cut and premiere (when it was finally possible) since forever.

There´s nothing left to say except for adding new features, and nudging clips with the keypad would be I believe very very useful. Specially for people like me used to do it all the time in FCP

--

keep on cutting 

• Thu, Sep 17 2015 3:22 AM In reply to

• fss_
    • Not Ranked
    • New York City
    • Posts 80
    • Points 880

that´s a great idea. with the <> 8 and 1 frames when @ 23.98 is a bit confusing ...

--

keep on cutting 

• Thu, Sep 17 2015 10:08 PM In reply to

• John Adams
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Feb 23 2013
    • Vancouver, BC
    • Posts 59
    • Points 670

+1

Would definitely be an improvement. Hugely useful.

• Fri, Sep 18 2015 6:44 AM In reply to

AndrewAction:

I find that nudging in combinations of (rapid) 10 frames and (fine) + or -1 frames fits my way of working 99% of the time.Geeked  

I couldn't agree more. I mean this request is to accomplish simple stuff. I'd much rather have a "Swiss army knife" mode that somehow "pivots" or toggles between Slip, Slide, and Segment Mode on multiple clips if need be,  so that nudging to achieve fine editing is fully versatile and interactive all at once.Also would like to enter that SAK mode with just one button which can also re-highlight the last clip(s) highlighted, similar to "last trim". In general, I want new features designed that anticipate varieties of precision trim/segment maneuvers - not some broad big movement stuff that's already quite do-able, using dedicated key tapping or segment drags to cursor position.

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 18 2015 7:30 PM In reply to

• fss_
    • Not Ranked
    • New York City
    • Posts 80
    • Points 880

I think "simple stuff", to use your own words , it is often clever stuff.  

Also, you should take into account that every editor has its own little tricks and what matters is the final cut, not wether you have swis army knife or an alaskan knife for that matter.

I mean really, you prefer dragging clips than typing a number that you know is exactly and precisely where you want the clip(s) to be ?

And finnally, I don't see why Avid wouldn't add this option so it would acomodate more ways of working.

--

keep on cutting 

• Fri, Sep 18 2015 9:09 PM In reply to

I'm sorry, it was not my intention to aggravate. All I can do is repeat my initial comment- agreeing that taps on keys for 10's and 1's back or forth is enough for me to get my clips where I want --plus or minus 1 thru 65 or more frames.

Beyond that, I do use Drag-to-Snaps, or Numeric keypad while in single trim, or extracts off timeline into the Source monitor. I have little trouble getting clips moved around the timeline-- it's the fine, frame-by-frame editing in trim and segment modes where I see room for minor improvenents.

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 21 2015 2:02 PM In reply to

• fss_
    • Not Ranked
    • New York City
    • Posts 80
    • Points 880

ok , i'm very used to that feature, that's why.

--

keep on cutting 

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller