Latest post Fri, Sep 11 2015 11:11 AM by erwabo. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Sep 11 2015 1:14 AM

• erwabo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 28 2008
    • Detroit MI
    • Posts 139
    • Points 1,655

Avid Adrenaline or Nitris HD

Soooo. call me crazy, but I loved Express Pro 5.7 with the Avid Studio Toolkit. I do have MC 6.5, but I want to build a Legacy Rig. Gonna get a nice Sony Deck, a Nice Sony DV Recorder and just have some old school fun. My Question is....do I do Avid Adrenaline or Nitris HD. Both boxed are very cheap on ebay, however the Nitris of course requires the 64 bit PCI Base Card and Codec card...which isnt a big deal. However, finding a MOBO without buying an entire PC is a bit more challenging, but the Adrenaline works with FireWire. Is there any HUGE advantage going with a Nitris HD box?

hanks

Pro Tools 12.5, Avid Media Composer Adrenaline HD 5.7, Studio Toolkit 5.7 [view my complete system specs]

Eric Bojonell
    Owner
    EBO Music Studios L.L.C.

• Fri, Sep 11 2015 1:27 AM In reply to

Re: Avid Adrenaline or Nitris HD

MC 5.5 was the last version that worked with Adrenaline's. (no problem if you have a dongle licensed 6.5) The Adrenaline HD worked very well (and still does occasionally here) with HP 8200's which are probably close to pay freight prices on ebay now. Another option would be an early MacPro's (a 2005 one works here) I would look for an Adrenaline WITH the HD card installed.

• Fri, Sep 11 2015 1:30 AM In reply to

• erwabo
    • Not Ranked
    • Detroit MI
    • Posts 139
    • Points 1,655

Sorry, what I mean is that I have MC 6.5 as my latest setup, so if I want to do more "current" things, I have that. I have MC 2.7 and MC 5 somwhere too, but I alwasy liked Express Pro with its Studio Toolkit integration, not sure if integration was as tight with MC 5.

So does the Adrenaline handle some of the load like the Nitris did. And yes, I found a few with the HD cards. Unreal that those Units were like 15k back in the day, and you find them for $25.00

So does the Nitris do much more than the Adrenaline didnt...is it worth even exploring the Nitris?

Pro Tools 12.5, Avid Media Composer Adrenaline HD 5.7, Studio Toolkit 5.7 [view my complete system specs]

Eric Bojonell
    Owner
    EBO Music Studios L.L.C.

• Fri, Sep 11 2015 1:45 AM In reply to

erwabo:
    but I always liked Express Pro with its Studio Toolkit integration,
    Express Pro does not work with Adrenaline and FWIW I cannot remember ever using my Studio Toolkit with MC. My memory suggests that it did not work with MC at all. 

erwabo:
    So does the Adrenaline handle some of the load like the Nitris did
    Avid PR originally suggested yes but I was never convinced.

• Fri, Sep 11 2015 2:02 AM In reply to

• erwabo
    • Not Ranked
    • Detroit MI
    • Posts 139
    • Points 1,655

Well good to know. I found my old Avid MC 2.7.7 disk haha. Good times! That SHOULD work with Adrenaline correct?

Im isntalling on my laptop as I type...if it doesnt integrate with Studio Toolkit no biggie. I can alwyas import and export between the two. Its jsut a pet project anyhow. I love the legacy gear...im a gear junkie. You should see my guitar pedal board =)

Eric Bojonell
    Owner
    EBO Music Studios L.L.C.

• Fri, Sep 11 2015 2:16 AM In reply to

• erwabo
    • Not Ranked
    • Detroit MI
    • Posts 139
    • Points 1,655

It worked!! I read somewhere else on here MC 2.8 was the last to integrate with Studio Toolkit. I loved Avid 3d...little buggy but it worked great! Just have to pick me up an Adrenaline Box a Sony DSR-1500 or SONY DSR-2000A  and  of course a Sony DSR-PD170 and ill be right on track for 2005 =)

Eric Bojonell
    Owner
    EBO Music Studios L.L.C.

• Fri, Sep 11 2015 2:42 AM In reply to

• erwabo
    • Not Ranked
    • Detroit MI
    • Posts 139
    • Points 1,655

This may be a dumb question, but would the Mojo SDI essentially give me the same thing as the Adrenaline only with a much smaller footprint?

Eric Bojonell
    Owner
    EBO Music Studios L.L.C.

• Fri, Sep 11 2015 5:38 AM In reply to

Yes, Adrenaline and Mojo were different in that there was an optional HD I/O card available for Adrenaline, whereas Mojo and Mojo SDI were SD only.

To the best of my knowledge, Classic Nitris only ever worked with Avid DS or with Symphony 1.7 through 5.5. It might work with MC, but I vaguely recall it being Symph only.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 11 2015 7:32 AM In reply to

The Nitris box will work with MC or Symphony (basically the same code base) its just a dongle limitation.

Of course the other downside is you will need an old OS like XP and of course that is vunerable nowadays.

Simpler if you go Mojo SDi as you just need firewire (but you do need the right firewire card)

I'd keep it simple as it will be old kit and the more you have the more likely things will be to fail and be hard to resolve.

I love the "6.5 being current" There have been what 5 versions since then...

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Fri, Sep 11 2015 9:48 AM In reply to

• erwabo
    • Not Ranked
    • Detroit MI
    • Posts 139
    • Points 1,655

Pat Horridge:
    I love the "6.5 being current" There have been what 5 versions since then...

HAHA, I know, I just spend a lot more time in Pro Tools than I do MC, so I just never got around to upgrading it. Im sure I will at some point but havent had the need to do so yet.

Pat Horridge:
    Simpler if you go Mojo SDi as you just need firewire (but you do need the right firewire card)

Does the Adrenaine require a special firewire card?

Eric Bojonell
    Owner
    EBO Music Studios L.L.C.

• Fri, Sep 11 2015 10:30 AM In reply to

erwabo:
     Does the Adrenaine require a special firewire card?
    Same difference. But check out these pages. On some configurations, built-in FireWire was supported, but mostly it was advised to use a specific PCI-card in a specific slot to ensure proper functionality.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 11 2015 11:11 AM In reply to

• erwabo
    • Not Ranked
    • Detroit MI
    • Posts 139
    • Points 1,655

Thanks for all the information. Being an IT Admin I have access to all sorts of hardware for test so Im sure I can make this work. Despite the "supported configurations," I have found that MOST Avid stuff works in many configurations without issue. I installed that MC2.7 with the Studio Toolkit on Windows 7 64 bit. The only thing that doesnt work is the Avid DVD, but I was never in love with that product anyhow.

Thanks again for all the info, now just gotta find an Adrenaline and have a little old school fun. Pretty mind blowing to me how in 10 years goes from a $50,000 turnkey Avid Solution to 4k Smartphones for $200 carrier contract and a $1200 Media Composer license.

Got give Avid kudos for figuring out a way to roll with the changes and taking such huge margin hits!

Eric Bojonell
    Owner
    EBO Music Studios L.L.C.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller