Latest post Thu, Sep 10 2015 2:22 AM by hbrock. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Sep 8 2015 4:40 PM

• evatar
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 26 2013
    • Posts 26
    • Points 295

How Do I Relink To AMA Linked Higher Quality Media?

This is so frustrating. Okay, so I exported my DNG camera original media to DNxHR HQX on an external drive with a duplicate of the DNG directories. I then AMA link to the DNxHR HQX into Media Composer 8.4.1 and then transcode those clips to DNxHR SQ which I then renamed (For example, clip BMCC_SD5_2015-04-20_1950_C0030_A01.mxf was renamed to 79A-1) and cut my sequences with. 

Now I want to relink to the sequences to back to the AMA linked DNxHR HQX media and then export an AAF that can be imported into Resolve and relinked to the camera original DNG files. 

This is where I get completely lost. 

First, in Media Composer, no matter how much I try I cannot link the clips of my sequence to the AMA media. Even though after a relink attempt it will show the correct file name (BMCC_SD5_2015-04-20_1950_C0030_A01.mx) and source path (CTT (3)/DAILIES/11//SD3), the actual clip in the bin remains listed as DNxHR SQ and the clip shows 'Media Offline.' Shouldn't I be able to relink to the higher quality media and see it in the clips/sequence?

If I export this timeline and suck it into Resolve it cannot recognize the original clips because the clip names have been changed to 79A-1, etc. So all I get is a timeline without media attached and no way to track down the original clips. 

I hope any of this made sense. I know I've made about a hundred errors here, so any 1., 2., 3., 4. guidelines would be much appreciated. Thanks. 

MacBook Pro, 10.8.4, 2.66 Ghz Core i7, 8GB DDR3, Avid Media Composer 6.5.2, FCP 7.0.3 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , ,
  • Tue, Sep 8 2015 8:07 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,518
    • Points 64,025
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: How Do I Relink To AMA Linked Higher Quality Media?

1.  This might preclude #2, so try this first.  You'll need to help Resolve know how to link up to the original source names rather than the renamed clip name in the Master Project Settings found by clicking on the Gear icon on the Resolve Media page by selecting "Source Clip filepath" or "Source Clip file name" under the Conform options.

2.  Take the DNxHRSQ media offline before attempting to relink to the AMA sources.  Make sure that the AMA sources show up as online in their bin, if not, Link again to refresh the file paths.

3.  Repeat #1.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Wed, Sep 9 2015 4:06 PM In reply to

• evatar
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 26 2013
    • Posts 26
    • Points 295

Thanks, this partially helped me. Taking all the DNxHR SQ media totally offline solved the crosslink issue and the clips did properly relink to the higher res DNxHR HQX media. So, issue number one is solved. Thank you. 

However, I still can't get the AAF to relink in Resolve. I applied the changes you mention in step #1 with both options for name or path and still come up unlinked, both with the DNxHR HQX files or the camera original DNG files. When the clips come up in the edit index they appear under 'Reel' as "Avid_MOB.01" and I can't seem to be able to relink them to anything else. Curiously, they do have the correct filename listed under 'Name.' 

Is there anyway to make these relink to the media? 

MacBook Pro, 10.8.4, 2.66 Ghz Core i7, 8GB DDR3, Avid Media Composer 6.5.2, FCP 7.0.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 9 2015 4:22 PM In reply to

AMA renking always seems to be harder if Avid media is still avaialble online. It's often not possible to force an AMA relink until the Avid media is taken offline.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Thu, Sep 10 2015 2:22 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,518
    • Points 64,025
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

First off you're going to need to decide on what you want to use as your media in Resolve.  Once you decide that, you've got 2 different workflows:

1.  If you want to use the DNxHR HQ media you'll need to have the Sequence link to that media.  The AMA bins that reference that media must have the media online.  If you use Clip Colors and enable AMA your picture on the timeline should be purple.  If not, make sure you're re-linking to AMA sources and specify the particular resolution you want in the re-link dialog box.

2.  If you want to use the DNG files, load those clips up in the Media Library in Resolve first, play with the Project settings options to get the source name or the source file path to show up on those clips.  Try all the options if necessary.  You don't need to relink the orignal DNxHR SQ media to any other source as it has the "reel number" (in this case the source file name) Once you've got a correct "reel number" (the one that matches what the AAF is using), load the AAF and select Link to Source Files when the dialog box opens.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller