Latest post Wed, Aug 19 2015 8:10 PM by Mark Augustine. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Aug 18 2015 10:22 PM

importing and using music tracks

I may be the only editor on earth who still uses the audio mixer but...

It frustrates me to the core why Avid is still so awkward working with audio.

PLEASE! If you do nothing else with audio, PLEASE do these things. (even just the first one would be mindblowingly helpful)

- When a two track (AIFF/WAV etc) track has imported, make the avid always recognize that both of those tracks belong to the same clip and when I grab one volume fader or change one track's volume number the other track would change too without having to manually gang tracks together. This would work for both the audio mixer and the little fader that can be made visible in the timeline tracks. There should also be an "unlink" function. PLEASE NOTE that Avid stereo tracks do NOT address this concern because many people cannot use stereo tracks.

- Allow a different db scale to be assigned when a track is imported or modified. Similar to "apply gain" but the result would still have the fader read zero (or another selectable number) at the reduced level, giving us a larger physical distance to move the fader between loud and soft. So tired of having to move a fader between the tiny working distance of -20 and - 35 for mixing music.

PLEASE PLEASE consider this. thank you.

• Wed, Aug 19 2015 7:47 AM In reply to

Re: importing and using music tracks

If it's music why not import (or modify the clip after import) to be a stereo clip. You then just get one fader to adjust for that clip and when cut into the sequence just one stereo track to manage.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Wed, Aug 19 2015 9:22 AM In reply to

Mark Augustine:
    - Allow a different db scale to be assigned when a track is imported or modified. Similar to "apply gain" but the result would still have the fader read zero (or another selectable number) at the reduced level, giving us a larger physical distance to move the fader between loud and soft. So tired of having to move a fader between the tiny working distance of -20 and - 35 for mixing music.

Just wondering: how is setting a clip level to reduce the clip's volume, then applying Automation Gain to ride/set the level of the music in the timeline not already allowing for this?

The beef I'd have with your suggestion is that something would look unaltered, when in fact it is not. It would appear like a destructive volume decrease. That doesn't feel right to me.

As for the pairing of tracks, I can see the advantages, even when it's not stereo pairs. You basically would like to be able to set "ganged tracks" for a clip, rather than for specific timeline faders. Your suggestion would also allow to gang faders for any multichannel clip. That could really make sense, so I'm adding my +1 for that.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 19 2015 10:21 AM In reply to

Yes I agree. A hidden attenuation would be a risk. And using a mixture of automation and clip gain should work well.

Don;t forget you can automatically applly a clip gain on import if you want.

Also grouping mono tracks for easy ganging (and extended to automation) would be good.

But I still prefer stereo for music tracks :-)

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Wed, Aug 19 2015 2:58 PM In reply to

I did say that Avid's version of "Stereo Tracks" is not an option. More on this at my post here:

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/134461/765351.aspx#765351

• Wed, Aug 19 2015 3:05 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:

The beef I'd have with your suggestion is that something would look unaltered, when in fact it is not. It would appear like a destructive volume decrease. That doesn't feel right to me.

Yes, good point. Then I guess what I'm looking for is a way to set a different numeric range on the audio mixer for certain channels. Have a way to, say, put -15 where 0 is. That way I get to use a larger physical range to move the fader between loud and soft.

• Wed, Aug 19 2015 3:07 PM In reply to

Pat Horridge:

Also grouping mono tracks for easy ganging (and extended to automation) would be good.

How would that work? I don't (or the editors around me don't) want to use automation/keyframe mixing. How would I make is more easy to gang tracks?

• Wed, Aug 19 2015 3:34 PM In reply to

Mark Augustine:
    Yes, good point. Then I guess what I'm looking for is a way to set a different numeric range on the audio mixer for certain channels. Have a way to, say, put -15 where 0 is. That way I get to use a larger physical range to move the fader between loud and soft.

Again, how is using clip levels plus auto gain not already letting you do that?

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 19 2015 3:38 PM In reply to

I think it would, but I'm prevented from using auto gain/keyframes to mix because it's frowned upon in the particular group of editors I work with. But I also prefer to mix only with add edits and audio dissolves, not automation.

• Wed, Aug 19 2015 4:08 PM In reply to

Hmmm, a little hard if folks resist 1998 technology that works across both Media Composer and Pro Tools. Clip levels for generic levels, auto gain for tweaks. More or less like on most audio mixers built for the last 70 years or so ('gain' at the top, like clip levels, volume fader at the bottom, like Volume Automation). If I may, it seems like updating the workflow makes more sense than adding convoluted features in MC to circumvent self-imposed workflow limitations -- no offense.

You can still use your add-edit method (I know I do), but it does give you a more neutral fader position to work with. 

• Wed, Aug 19 2015 8:10 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:

Hmmm, a little hard if folks resist 1998 technology. Clip levels for generic levels, auto gain for tweaks. More or less like on most audio mixers built for the last 70 years or so ('gain' at the top, like clip levels, volume fader at the bottom, like Volume Automation). If I may, it seems like updating the workflow makes more sense than adding convoluted features in MC to circumvent self-imposed workflow limitations -- no offense.

You can still use your add-edit method (I know I do), but it does give you a more neutral fader position to work with. 

I have found keyframing/auto mixing awkward for most things I do. There are just too many things to modify when making changes. I'm assuming Volume automation still makes hundreds of little keyframes. Also, because I can't use Stereo Tracks, track widths are more narrow and harder to modify keyframes on 2 tracks at once. I'd love to update the workflow to stereo tracks - when I have been able to use them I always use keyframe mixing because I can make the tracks wider. But when I can't it's just too clumsy.

I STILL don't understand why for Stereo Tracks, Avid decided to make us modify what is already for all intents and purposes a stereo track.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller