Latest post Mon, Aug 10 2015 11:04 PM by S.Clements. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jul 27 2015 7:11 PM

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 809
    • Points 10,720

Make the title tool work in formats larger than HD

Went to go use the title tool in 2K and was told I had to use New Blue Titler.  One should never have to rely on third party for such a basic task.  I'm asuming this is some sort of last minute issue that couldn't be ironed out, but if it's an oversight....please fix it.  

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , ,
  • Mon, Jul 27 2015 7:22 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 809
    • Points 10,720

Re: Make the title tool work in formats larger than HD

In addition, titler pro crashes Avid, so I can't make titles for my project.

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 27 2015 7:32 PM In reply to

S.Clements:
    please fix it.
    Regardless of whether this is a good idea I would not hold my breath for this to be "fixed"

Title tool has been running as a separated 32 bit program from MC since the release of 64 bit MC 6 (presumeably for technical reasons). In my experience very liitle (if anyhing) visible has been done to the Title Tool in 20 years.

Do you have Avid FX working? or Red 5.5? Either will give you Titling from your timeline.

• Mon, Jul 27 2015 8:20 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,348
    • Points 40,460

S.Clements:

One should never have to rely on third party for such a basic task.  

I agree completely with the meat of your statement.  As bad as Title Tool is - and it is bad - a text tool is a fundamental tool.

I am currently finishing a UHD project that was offlined in SD.  With titles.  I have no option but to rebuild in some 3rd party tool.

And that tool is not going to be New Blue Titler.  There are multiple threads pointing out it's shortcomings.

I understand what Andrew says, but that does not make me less unhappy.

Avid has - in essence - out sourced the text tool and color correction (see how actively they are promoting other products).

What next - dissolves will be handled by a valued partner?

Sigh.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Tue, Jul 28 2015 6:23 AM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 809
    • Points 10,720

If they don't fix this, I'll lose even more faith in Avid.  Not being able to produce a working title tool for a video editing program in the year 2015 comes across as incompetance.  I don't know any other way to say it.  I just can't work this way on the vast majority of projects, and simply have to turn to Premiere now.  

For this current project, I had to use Avid FX to do the titles - another 3rd party program with an uncertain future. 

• Tue, Jul 28 2015 6:53 AM In reply to

No signs of any work on Title tool and as said the decision not to roll it along with the 64bit work would indicate it's days are numbered.

And we have Resolve growing all the time and guess what it has a title tool (basic but getting there)

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Tue, Jul 28 2015 7:14 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,089
    • Points 216,625
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

S.Clements:
    I had to use Avid FX to do the titles - another 3rd party program with an uncertain future

Geeked No uncertain future there. Avid FX has already bitten the dust and is superseded by Boris RED.

Regards

Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Tue, Jul 28 2015 7:26 AM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 809
    • Points 10,720

I know, Douglas.  But, for the time being it still works.  So, its useage is dangling by a thread.  I guess it's certain it's toast eventually.  I would never spend the extortionist prices for Borris' Avid products.

• Wed, Jul 29 2015 10:03 PM In reply to

• Atomike
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 726
    • Points 11,055

The title tool is a hot-button issue for me.  The 4K isssue is the very least of the problems with Avid titles.  Look at the super-crisp looking titles that come out of Adobe products.  Then Avid.  I love the workflow of Media Composer, but it's really hard to take Avid R&D seriously at this point.

Media Composer version: usually newest release, or 1 behind. Nvidia GTX 1070Ti Windows 10, Core i7 8700K processor, ASRock GA 1151 Z370 Motherboard... [view my complete system specs]

I spend most of my time between New York and Los Angeles.  In Nebraska.

• Wed, Jul 29 2015 10:52 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 809
    • Points 10,720

Atomike, this issue is being discussed right now on Avid Editors of Facebook.  Apparently, the developers are being directed to read the thread.  Lack of proper titling ability in MC is a MAJOR cause for concern.  I'm so tired of people defending Avid, saying stuff like "Oh, I don't see what the big deal is...The New Blue Titler is perfectly acceptable".  No, it is not.  Third party is a horrible way to go.  Bells and whistles plugins are ok, but not basic functionality plugins.  Avid is becoming unuseable for the majority of projects.

• Mon, Aug 10 2015 6:33 PM In reply to

• Dan_B
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 26 2013
    • Posts 152
    • Points 1,655

• Mon, Aug 10 2015 7:49 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,089
    • Points 216,625
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Being read peeps.   Atomike.... it is getting a lot of traction.

Marianna 

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Mon, Aug 10 2015 11:04 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 809
    • Points 10,720

Thanks, Marianna!

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller