Latest post Fri, Jun 19 2015 1:51 PM by AntCaladine. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 19 2015 1:42 AM

Nasty bug cutting XAVC-I from FS7?

Gidday all,

We are experiencing a quite debilitating recurring bug when attempting to to directly edit XAVC-I from our new Sony FS7 using AMA.

Regularly, and usually within minutes of starting to edit, the video element of the playback engine will stop working. Sound will still play, though the system is very unresponsive. Task Manager shows that all processor cores are suddenly red-lining at near-100% capacity. The process causing the load is Avid itself. The grunty GPU in this machine (Quadra k4200) meanwhile shows almost no load. 

Restarting Avid, even rebooting the machine, usually will NOT fix the problem. The only partical workaround we have found (short of transcoding) is to delete the AMA folders and relink to them. This SOMETIMES cures the problem, though never for long.

The problem occurs across multiple projects. It happens regardless of whether monitoring is via our MX02 or internal. We are using the specified versions of the Nvidia drivers. We have the latest version of the Sony XAVC AMA plugin. The exact same machine is editing XD material from our Sony EX3 (on the same AMA plugin) perfectly happily for weeks at a time.

We are at a loss here; it definitely looks like an Avid bug, though one of this magnitude would surely be affecting many people and would be well known... is any of this ringing bells for anyone else?

We would definitely appreciate any ideas anyone may have!

Tony Sutorius

Unreal Films
    Wellington, New Zealand

MC 8.3.1 Windows 7 intel i7 3930k nvidia quadro k4200 32gb ddr corsair ram (4x8gb DIMMs) 128gb Samsung 840 sata3 ssd (system) 4*2tb western digital... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , , ,
  • Fri, Jun 19 2015 12:21 PM In reply to

• Pheral
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sylva, NC USA
    • Posts 966
    • Points 12,235

Re: Nasty bug cutting XAVC-I from FS7?

Tony Sutorius:
    ...when attempting to to directly edit XAVC-I from our new Sony FS7 using AMA.

Hi, Tony,

You don't mention what project type you're using, but are you attempting to do extensive layered edits straight from AMA?  Becuase if so, the demands placed on the processor will clog most machines, I think.  Most editors I know wlil transcode the footage first for anything other than very simple edits.

Tony Sutorius:
    The exact same machine is editing XD material from our Sony EX3 (on the same AMA plugin) perfectly happily..

Yes, but that's XDCam EX, a completely different and less demanding codec.

Media Composer v8.9.2 | Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit | Supermicro X10DAi | Intel Xeon E5-2620 v4 Broadwell (x2) | Noctua NH-D9DX i4 (x2) | PNY GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 19 2015 1:51 PM In reply to

• AntCaladine
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 11 2007
    • Stourbridge, UK
    • Posts 337
    • Points 4,245

Re: Nasty bug cutting XAVC-I from FS7?

What AMA plugin does avid think its using (should display in the bin)
    If its showing generic avci then its a known bug. It will crash avid.
    Currently I cannot use 831 with any xavc footage from f5, f55 or fs7, works fine in 83.

2x HP Z8 G4, 96GB ram, Win10 Pro 64bit, Nvidia Quadro P4000 8GB AMC 2018.12 1x HP Z820 16GB ram, Win10 Pro 64bit, Nvidia Quadro 4000 AMC 2018.11 2x Aja... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller