Latest post Tue, Apr 28 2015 5:18 AM by Hugh Moore. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Apr 27 2015 9:28 PM

• k_pop
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 27 2015
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Walk me through frame flex. - frustration

Hey guys!

I am working on a documentary for broadcast. It's been shot 4k with a bunch of sony sources. We are capturing on a Sho gun, a Odyssey 7q+, and a sony fs7.

I am cutting on the newest avid 8.3. I transcoded to dnxhd 36 for my offline edits. I need to use frame flex on my interviews, to change framing, pushin in on some clips while not on others. 

What i have been doing is. Adding frame flex in source settings, then in the time line i am modifing the frame flex with effects mode. This works fine. even when i link back to ama source. However! If i consolidate/transcode my sequence to dnxhd 175x or any other flavour, Frame flex stays as an effect, regardless if i click "apply reformat options" 

I read some where that i need to mix down the frame flex. as that's the only way to reframe off the time line. 

Anyone have a better work flow? I hate mixing down, as we all know the mix down is not tied to any source material. 

Anyone else having these issues? it doesn't seem like any of the documented tutorials, or even offical avid youtube videos mention how to use frame flex on a time line. It's getting really hard to have avids back with all these other native 4k ready, NLE systems. Transcoding this stuff is painful, considering the alternatives work so well. cough cough.

k

• Mon, Apr 27 2015 9:50 PM In reply to

Re: Walk me through frame flex. - frustration

http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=160 Any FrameFlex elements applied in the timeline and not at the source are not part of the transcode process when linking back to original camera sources. You can do a render or a video mixdown of the timeline, but a transcode will only apply to source side FrameFlex and timeline ones are nothing more than a resize from the 1080 output. 8.3 can work with low bandwidth 4K type media which will make some of these issue go away, but the design in pre 8.3 and HD is limiting. 
    Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 27 2015 10:04 PM In reply to

• k_pop
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 27 2015
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Ok that echos my sentiment, not very helpful, but thanks. Super hard to have avids back these days. 

I assume if i consolidate the sequence from ama to dnxhr, and change the project to 1080, the frame flex shouldn't be a glorified resize? no?  

k

• Tue, Apr 28 2015 5:18 AM In reply to

• Hugh Moore
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 29 2010
    • South Australia
    • Posts 44
    • Points 570

Hi, Im still learning MC again after being away for a while,:

- could you now create subclips of the edits back in the source monitor.

- Apply the frameflex to the subclips

- Then overwrite the edits in timeline with the new material with source frameflex.

Perhaps an experienced user can confirm my thoughts.

Hope this helps.

Hugh

MC 8.3.1 MB: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 Video: Nvidia GeForce GTX750 RAM: 12 GB Windows 10 Boot Drive: SSD Monitors: Dual User: Hobbyist [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller