Latest post Sat, Apr 25 2015 11:28 AM by happytrimmer. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Apr 23 2015 8:30 PM

Sequential trimming

Hello everyone

Suppose I have, say, 5 sequential clips on V1 track on the MC timeline and I want to equally trim the end of each clip - forward or backwards - by 5 frames. What's the way to do this all at once? Entering Trim mode and then pressing down Shift and clicking on the end of two or more clips doesn't work, since it only removes frames at cursor point. Any ideas?

Filed under: ,
  • Fri, Apr 24 2015 12:25 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,233
    • Points 15,560
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Sequential trimming

With v1 and the fiirst clip highlighted, hit:

t

w

LT-arrow 4 times

e

x

Click on next clip. Do this for each clip. Should take 5 seconds tops, per clip.

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: Follow @heybove

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD

• Sat, Apr 25 2015 2:32 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,382
    • Points 96,980

If you want to do this over a longer range, instead of hitting the left arrow 4 times, type -4 onthe numeric keypad then press the keypad enter key.  From then on, just press the numeric enter key.  Avid will remeber the -4.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 25 2015 6:18 AM In reply to

Thanks so much for the help, everyone. Wow! So, it has to be performed per clip, no way to do it on a series of clips. I must say I'm pretty amazed! I'm also using Premiere Pro CC 2014.2 and all I have to do is hold down Shift, click on each clips's end and trim accordingly. Why won't MC do that?

• Sat, Apr 25 2015 6:48 AM In reply to

happytrimmer:
    Why won't MC do that?
    In my world the odds of 2 adjacent clips each needing exactly the same trim off the end of them would be quite long. In my experience these odds would then lengthen exponentialiy each time you added another clip to an "automated" trim.  

So from my view point I do not see a need for such a function when, as posted, it can achieved with a few keystrokes. 

• Sat, Apr 25 2015 11:28 AM In reply to

Well, that's one way to see it but this doesn't mean that it is always the case. I had a 15-minute sequence, in the middle of which there was a photo presentation of the person the video was about. 50 photos with a Ken Burns effect and music. The director decided it took too long and went for a different audio track with a smaller duration. He wanted each photo to last equally, though, so all that was needed was to remove an equal number of frames to make the presentation fit the new smaller duration. Media Composer had me do it manually for each photo and wasting time when from within Premiere I would do it in seconds. ..

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller