Latest post Thu, Jul 9 2015 4:20 PM by Job ter Burg. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 22 2015 8:24 PM

• ryguy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 30 2009
    • Posts 141
    • Points 1,995

Audio sync issue in Avid Media Composer 8.3.1

Hi All,

I am using an HP Z800 workstation running Windows 7 Pro. I just updated my version of media composer and have run into a problem that I haven't had before and am hoping someone knows whats up.

I am using the autosync command to sync via timecode the seperately recorded audio and video. The video has audio timecode recorded to tracks A1 and A3 and the audio recorder has the same timecode so the sound files have timecode embeded in them that matches the audio timecode on the video.

Normaly I would start by importing my audio to a bin and duplicating the start timecode column to Auxillary TC1 column. The cameras we use already capture the media in an mxf format that avid understands so I usually transfer the footage off the card and onto my RAID and place it in its own numbered folder in the "Avid MediaFiles>MXF>1"  or 2 or what ever number. Then back in avid I use the media tool to bring in the raw video files into a different bin than the audio. I then would normally with all the video files selected use the "Special>Read audio timecode" function to read the audio timecode on track A1 and place it in Auxillary TC1. Next I would copy my video and audio to the same bin and with all of them selected I would choose "Bin>Autosync" and it would magically and happily sync all of my files.

I have been doing this procedure for 6 years and through all the various updated versions of Avid.

Scince the update to Avid MC 8.3.1 (I am not nessessarily blaming avid for this its just this problem started after I had updated) when I bring in my video media using the media tool audio track A1 is offline!!! every thing else is normal but for some reason avid does not recognize A1 as existing. I found this out when "Special>Read Audio Timecode" command didn't work. I have checked my MXF files and I can see the audio file for A1 sitting in the folder so I know that it is infact there but for some reason avid just doesn't see it. I tried deleting my media data bases in that folder and letting avid rescan it but no luck.

One thing that I tried was to delete the video out of the bin and use the media tool to bring it in again and this has worked and then suddenly the A1 track is there but this dosen't seem to work all the time only some times ( I tried it on one clip several times and nothing).

Another strange thing is that when I bring in the video with the media tool some times the A1 Track is there right off the bat like it should be. luckily the audio TC is also recorded on A3 so I have been able to sync it that way but still.

Anyway if anyone knows of a solution to this problem I would be very greatful. thanks a TON.

Main Workstation: Dell Precision T7600, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E5-2687W @ 3.10GHz 2x, 64GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 4000, Running Avid Media Composer... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 9 2015 3:04 PM In reply to

• ryguy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 30 2009
    • Posts 141
    • Points 1,995

Re: Audio sync issue in Avid Media Composer 8.3.1

So, no one has any Idea?

Main Workstation: Dell Precision T7600, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E5-2687W @ 3.10GHz 2x, 64GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 4000, Running Avid Media Composer... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 9 2015 4:20 PM In reply to

Re: Audio sync issue in Avid Media Composer 8.3.1

If the media is there, can't you relink the clips?

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller