Latest post Tue, Jun 9 2015 3:44 AM by www.drastic.tv. 31 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (32 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 15 2015 4:32 PM

• ugo1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 13 2006
    • Italy
    • Posts 281
    • Points 3,915

Media composer and the lack of xavc-s support - Avid you are alone now!!!

Hi,

just that today Apple released an update of FCP X PRO with xavc-s support. So from today the software which officially support sony xavc-s codec are

Edius

Premiere

Fcp Pro X

Vegas

Resolve

program which not yet support xavc-s

avid media composer

yes avid you are alone....

don't tell me to use Catalyst Browser because the batch transcode is still buggy (color shift) and it does not support avid codec

Don't tell me to Catalyst prepare because it still don't support DnxHR codec

Is Avid after the support of Xavc-s codec by FCP X pro (which is direct

competitor of MC)  still thinging that this crappy consumer codec don't deserve his attention?

Ugo

Case: Phantek Enthoo Luxe, Motherboard: Asus Prime WS299 Sage/10G, Cpu: Core i9-10920X,Ram: 32GB Ripjaws 4, GPU: Asus Nvidia Rtx 2080 Super 8 GB, Sound... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 15 2015 7:32 PM In reply to

• dmfreeman
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,865
    • Points 24,715

Re: Media composer and the lack of xavc-s support - Avid you are alone now!!!

Hi Ugo,

Have you looked at Cliptoolz?  It is a free program that will convert to MOV, or Prores or a number of compatable formats.  hdcinematics.com is the site for download.  The wrapping of XAVC-S to MOV is extremely fast.

Just an idea,

Denny

Media Composer 2019.6, BCC Continuum 12.5, , Boris Red 5.6., Asus P9X79 Pro Motherboard with Intel 3930K Processor. 32 gigs DDR3 ram, Windows 10 Pro 1803... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 15 2015 7:39 PM In reply to

ugo1:
    Resolve
    Thanks. When did Resolve start supporting it?

• Wed, Apr 15 2015 7:51 PM In reply to

• dmfreeman
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,865
    • Points 24,715

The conversion program is called Cliptoolz.  Not Resolve!

Denny

Media Composer 2019.6, BCC Continuum 12.5, , Boris Red 5.6., Asus P9X79 Pro Motherboard with Intel 3930K Processor. 32 gigs DDR3 ram, Windows 10 Pro 1803... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 15 2015 8:19 PM In reply to

Hi Denny, ugo1 said Resolve supported this format. I was under the impression that it did not (well at least for me it did not 10 months ago when I checked) so I was curious as to when Resolve started supporting the format. (do not currently have any xavc-s media to check with the latest Resolve)

• Wed, Apr 15 2015 8:20 PM In reply to

• Mark
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 19 2010
    • Posts 433
    • Points 4,680

dmfreeman:

The conversion program is called Cliptoolz.  Not Resolve!

OP listed Resolve among xavc-s supporters

ugo1:

software which officially support sony xavc-s codec are

Edius
    Premiere
    Fcp Pro X
    Vegas
    Resolve

MC 8.7.2. HP Z400, Xeon W3580, 24GB ECC RAM, BMD Decklink Studio 4K, Desktop Video 10.3, Quadro K4200, 362.13 OS & programs: 600GB 10k, video: 1TB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 15 2015 9:01 PM In reply to

• dmfreeman
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,865
    • Points 24,715

My apologies

Denny

• Wed, Apr 15 2015 9:25 PM In reply to

• ugo1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Italy
    • Posts 281
    • Points 3,915

Resolve can read the video part of xavc-s but no sound yet (I don't try the latest release). but v 12 is on the way ...

Case: Phantek Enthoo Luxe, Motherboard: Asus Prime WS299 Sage/10G, Cpu: Core i9-10920X,Ram: 32GB Ripjaws 4, GPU: Asus Nvidia Rtx 2080 Super 8 GB, Sound... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 15 2015 9:38 PM In reply to

Avid is alone and there is no plan from both Sony and Avid to sort the issue. Their heads are buried in the sand. It looks like the plugin is never going to be released. This is kinda odd.

Right now my workaround is to convert HD footage to DNxHD 220 via Adobe Media Encoder, but I didn't try with 4K material.

• Wed, Apr 15 2015 10:23 PM In reply to

Annaël Beauchemin:
    Their heads are buried in the sand.
    Seems strange that Sony should bury its head on xavc-s but they have said from the start that they consider this is a consumer format. 

My last few days AMA linking to and Transcoding 2TB's worth of XAVC (in various guises) media  shows Sony have done a good job on the latest XAVC AMA plugins. That ugo1 says Resolve cannot do sound with XAVC-s format suggests to me that there is something different with the format. I would not want video only media from XAVC-s media so will continue with workarounds until Sony get around to releasing (or not)  a XAVC-s AMA plugin.

• Sun, Apr 19 2015 12:16 PM In reply to

• Hugh Moore
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 29 2010
    • South Australia
    • Posts 44
    • Points 570

Hi, Im looking at a Sony Action Cam, the X1000V which shoots XAVC-S up to 4K.

Am I right in thinking, to edit with MC 8, AMA doesnt work, but I can import the footage in DNxHD format and then edit from there?

Obviously the downsize is time to import and secondly using up more drive space?

Thanks

Hugh

MC 8.3.1 MB: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 Video: Nvidia GeForce GTX750 RAM: 12 GB Windows 10 Boot Drive: SSD Monitors: Dual User: Hobbyist [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Apr 19 2015 12:27 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 160,330

Hugh Moore:

Hi, Im looking at a Sony Action Cam, the X1000V which shoots XAVC-S up to 4K.

Am I right in thinking, to edit with MC 8, AMA doesnt work,

It have been told from the Avid techs that they use the Drastic plugins themselves to ama link this format.

http://www.drastic.tv/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=58&Itemid=350

It´s a payed plugin and obviously not what some users wants to hear if you count all the posts written about this.

The plugin should also be available as a trial, would be interesting to hear if someone got this working so that we can get some kind of confirmation here.

add..

pasting some info for those interested to test for themselves

MOV QuickTime ProRes, h264, AVCi, MPEG-2, XDCam X X
    MP1/MP2/MP3 MP1/MP2/MP3 MPEG audio X  
    MP4 AVC1,h.264,HEVC,h.265 Apple h.264, h.264 AVC, HEVC/265 X X
    MP4 XAVC-S Sony XAVC-S HD/4K Cameras X  
    MP4 MPEG-2 Sony/Canon camera X  
    MPEG MPEG-1 4:2:0 up to 15 mbits/sec X X
    MPEG MPEG-2 4:2:0/4:2:2 SD/HD up to 80 mbits/sec X X
    MPEG MPEG-4 4:2:0 up to 50 mbits/sec X X
    MTS, M2TS M2TS AVC-HD camera files X X
    MXF AS-02 AVCi, DNxHD (licensable), DVHD, JPEG-2000 X  
    MXF AS-11 DPP UK AVCi100, IMX 50 X  
    MXF Avid DV25, DV50, DVHD, DNxHD (licensable), Uncompressed X X
    MXF Canon MPEG-2 X

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Sun, Apr 19 2015 2:17 PM In reply to

• ugo1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Italy
    • Posts 281
    • Points 3,915

yes drastic plug-ins works but it cost and even if Tomas think that I hate to pay for it his mind is wrong. I simple find it too expensive for a plug-in,  yes because it cost 495 $ for  just like an entire NLE ...

• Sun, Apr 19 2015 2:19 PM In reply to

• Don
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, May 24 2007
    • Columbia, MD
    • Posts 106
    • Points 1,340

I don't know why Sony doesn't consider the XAVC-S a pro format since they market the a7s as a pro camera.  This makes no sense to me that it will work with all these other edit systems and not Avid.  I own the A99 and the a7s. They support the a99 and it's definately not as good of a picture as the a7s.  

I'm not sure is Sony is just trying to avoid it's Avid's customers or if this is just something they don't want to put time into because of the pricepoint of the cameras with this format.  Yes we can convert all our footage but this is very time consuming and we shouldn't have to do that.  I also own the Shogun which is not always easy to use ona run and gun shoot.  So I consider the a7s professional.  I'd put it's image up against nearly any DSLR out there if not all of them.  It does S-log!!!  How is that prosumer!  I'm really upset that Sony is saying that this is a prosumer codec.  If that's the case then don't market your camera as a pro camera!  You can't have both!  Fix the plugin Sony! 

Thanks for your time.

DL

iMac 3.5ghz i7 Core. 32GB Ram. MC 8.5.0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Apr 19 2015 2:19 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 160,330

ugo1:

yes drastic plug-ins works but it cost

Great, so one confirmation to that this works now , anyone else

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

Page 1 of 3 (32 items) 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller