Latest post Sat, Apr 11 2015 3:24 AM by Digimik. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Apr 10 2015 7:21 PM

• Digimik
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 6 2015
    • Posts 10
    • Points 80

Clips, SubClips, GroupClips and MultiGroupClips

Sorry for the long email but I need to understand about clips! 

Can I add in another camera angle to a groupclip (multicam) file later? I'm asking this because I'd like to begin editing with the primary camera footage but we have secondary footage that needs to be converted to the right fr and we don't have time to wait for all the conversions. So I was hoping I could add the primary footage, make a groupclip (in preparation for adding more clips to the group) then using the primary camera footage, we make subclips from that (so we can get the story started) but then just ADD additional video footage to the groupclip master (and they will show up in all the subclips) so we can add in other camera angles later? Make sense?

If there isn't a common "that's easy" answer, one idea i had was to add 3 clips of the same footage (two would be place holders), make and lable my subclips. When the secondary camera footage is converted, we swap the two "place holder" clips for the conversions. Am I thinking right? Is this a good way of doing this or is there an easier way? And really, can you substituate one source file for another but keep all of the related clip edits thorugh masterclips, subclips and group clips? If so, please tell me how. 

Related to this, say we had made a bunch of subclips from a groupclip master with all the camera angles, but later realized that video track #2 was off by like 10 frames - thereby all the subclips were off 10 frames. Can I go back into the groupclip master and move video track #2 the 10 frames and thereby affect and fix all the derived subclips? Or are the subsclips truly separate once they are created? 

With subclips made from groups, can I lay my selected subclips on the timeline and then select the multicamera angles on the master sequence timeline or does it need to be done with each independent subclip? I'm assuming you can do it on the timeline "on the fly" for each subclip indendently. 

And what is the use of GroupClips vs. MultiGroupClips? I watch Vince Rocca's video. My question is, why not just sync up all the source footage on their separate tracks (lets say there were 3 cameras) but then export each track as a new complete file and then bring back each of the 3 footage tracks in (but they'd each be one long file) as a groupclip and work like that? 

I hope this isn't too long but these are my final questions and the answers will REALLY get me over my last hurdles! Thanks soooooo much! 

• Sat, Apr 11 2015 1:20 AM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,365
    • Points 16,840

Re: Clips, SubClips, GroupClips and MultiGroupClips

Digimik:
    Can I add in another camera angle to a groupclip (multicam) file later? 

No.

Digimik:
    one idea i had was to add 3 clips of the same footage (two would be place holders), make and lable my subclips. When the secondary camera footage is converted, we swap the two "place holder" clips for the conversions. Am I thinking right?

Only if the new clips match EXACTLY as far as timecode, framerate and duration -- and the old clips are correctly synced. This is probably not a good strategy.

Digimik:
    can you substituate one source file for another but keep all of the related clip edits thorugh masterclips, subclips and group clips? If so, please tell me how.

This is standard procedure for offline/online workflow.  You edit with the lower resolution clips then match back to the full resoluton clips.  If you originally imported your clips you must batch import.  If you originally AMA'd your clips you relink to the AMA files.

Digimik:
    say we had made a bunch of subclips from a groupclip master with all the camera angles, but later realized that video track #2 was off by like 10 frames - thereby all the subclips were off 10 frames. Can I go back into the groupclip master and move video track #2 the 10 frames  

See answer #1.

Digimik:
    With subclips made from groups, can I lay my selected subclips on the timeline and then select the multicamera angles on the master sequence timeline

Yes.

Digimik:
    why not just sync up all the source footage on their separate tracks (lets say there were 3 cameras) but then export each track as a new complete file and then bring back each of the 3 footage tracks in (but they'd each be one long file) as a groupclip and work like that?

Mixing down rather than exporting/importing is often simpler, but it's the same principle.  (With compatible formats, I export an aaf of a synced track to Resolve because the render time is a little faster and, like a mixdown, it can deliver the finished clip directly into a numbered mxf folder.)

• Sat, Apr 11 2015 3:24 AM In reply to

• Digimik
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 6 2015
    • Posts 10
    • Points 80

Re: Clips, SubClips, GroupClips and MultiGroupClips

Thanks again smrpix for your generous help and reply. They really helped me. I'm getting AVID more and more. Yes

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller