Latest post Mon, Apr 6 2015 2:33 PM by Marianna. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Mar 6 2015 11:49 PM

• Adman
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Atlanta Georgia, USA
    • Posts 5,328
    • Points 60,170
    • BlogAuthor
      Moderator: Avid Free DV
      Moderator: Avid Xpress DV PC
      Moderator: Avid Xpress Studio
      Moderator: MCA PC

New Upgrade & Support Programs for Media Composer

We heard you... we are pleased to announce a new Upgrade & Support Programs for Media Composer, Media Composer  + Symphony Option or NewsCutter available now for a limited time!

The December 31, 2014 deadline for purchasing an Upgrade & Support plan for Media Composer or Media Composer + Symphony Option or NewsCutter at the regular price of $299 US MSRP has passed, but due to popular demand, Avid is introducing two (2) new programs for customers to get current.

Available now through March 31, 2015
    , customers who missed the 12/31/14 deadline can purchase an annual Upgrade & Support plan for their Media Composer, Media Composer + Symphony Option or NewsCutter for $499 US MSRP.

Beginning April 1, 2015
    customers who missed both the the 12/31/14 deadline and the $499 Upgrade and Support programs will be able to purchase an Upgrade & Support plan at $699 US MSRP. This program will be available only until May 15, 2015.

Note that after the first year, both Upgrade & Support programs will be renewable at the standard $299 US MSRP.

All Upgrade & Support plan purchases must be made prior to the stated deadlines.
      Upgrade & Support plans will be available via both Activation Codes and “traditional” support contracts.

All Activation Codes must be redeemed prior to May 31, 2015.

Available now through March 31st, 2015:

Upgrade & Support Plan for Media Composer | Software    $499.00 (MSRP)
    (Upgrade from Symphony)
    (Upgrade from NewsCutter)

Media Composer | Software Standard Support                   $499.00 (MSRP)

Available April 1 through May 15th, 2015:

Upgrade & Support Plan for Media Composer | Software      $699.00 (MSRP)
    (Upgrade from Symphony)
    (Upgrade from NewsCutter)

Media Composer | Software Standard Support                    $699.00 (MSRP)

Customers can purchase the Upgrade & Support Plan(s) through their reseller  or on the Web Store.

Mac Pro. QHD Ultra wide, thunderbolt LG monitor, MC Ultimate 2018.10.0. Pro Tools 11 HD (Mbox 3 Pro), iPad Pro 12.9". 17" Macbook Pro i7. Dell... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Mar 8 2015 3:35 PM In reply to

• sam the sham
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Apple Valley, Ca
    • Posts 924
    • Points 11,790

Re: New Upgrade & Support Programs for Media Composer

"We heard you..." What exactly did "WE" tell you?

You make it sound like "WE" agreed to pay twice as much, Did we :)

MC 6.0.3.1 thank you very much, FCP X v.10.2.3, MAC Pro, 2 @ Intel Quad-Core Xeon 2.4 GHz,(Westmere),12gb 1066mhz DDR3 ram, ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB. 3@ 1TB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Mar 8 2015 8:02 PM In reply to

"Twice as much" not quite correct.

BEFORE:

-No upgrades at all.  Must buy $1299 new license regardless of upgrade status.  Then, $299/year support.

NOW:

-Upgrade available. $499 or $699 depending on when you get it, and then $299/year support after that.

So yes, we have been heard - but don't make it a temporary thing.  Make Avid loyalty have SOME value for future upgrades.  As long as you keep it going annually, keep it at $299 for each annual renewal.  If you let it lapse a year, or if you never started it, you should be able to re-enter, or enter, the cycle at something like $499-$699 (perhaps depending on how long you let it lapse).

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Mar 8 2015 9:23 PM In reply to

sam the sham:
    What exactly did "WE" tell you?
    That there were possibly a large number of users that had not become aware of the policy change and maybe they should be given time extensions to get on-board. Also the freezing Perpetual licences at their current versions thereby requiring us to buy a whole new licence to get up to date if we let "support" lapse.

So yes they did listen....thanks.  First by allowing dealers to upgrade (from any version of MC) to "support well after the cut off date. Now they have gone further and offered pricing options that extends the renewal to support time to five and a half months after the "deadline."  For those folk who take up this offer effectively get all updates released in nearly 24 months (NAB April 2014 to March, April or May 2016) for the new offer pricing.

Hopefully options for the Perpetual licence freeze for any lapsed "support" clients is still being considered. Geeked

• Wed, Mar 11 2015 4:52 AM In reply to

• Keith R
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 8 2012
    • Posts 286
    • Points 3,370

Hello Andrew

"So yes, we have been heard - but don't make it a temporary thing.  Make Avid loyalty have SOME value for future upgrades.  As long as you keep it going annually, keep it at $299 for each annual renewal."Cool

is this cast in concrete..?Cool

• Wed, Mar 11 2015 3:28 PM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 15 2010
    • Posts 372
    • Points 4,715

I agree. I think the whole perpetual licence policy will come to bite Avid in the behind! What will they offer to make it justifiable to upgrade for $299 at the end of 2015? Possibly Symphony CC in MC? That would annoy existing users of Symphony though. Beyond 4K, who will need it? DCP maybe? Anyway the end of 2016 and beyond will defintely put a strain on this policy, I feel.

It is unfair to call it support and threaten you with having to buy a completely new version at full list price if you don't pay $299 annually. Either charge for each major upgrade at $299 for existing users or allow you to drop out for say one or two years then pick it up again at the same price. (I realise that wouldn't work as it would be unfair to those who pay anually, so really to my mind the only fair option is the first). Like many here I have already invested a lot of dough in Avid hardware software over the years. Remember Adrenaline DNA being described as 'futureproof', when anyone and their grandma knew firewire was dying?

What will happen is that 'major new features' will be withheld until the end of each year by the bean counters, as most people have upgraded to the new scheme on or about the 31st of December. So this will severely disrupt the engineers preference to roll-out features in a timely and industry fashion. Will we get patches even on our current 'forever' versions if we do't pay for support either?

The subscription model is not a bad idea though IMO as it allows a freelancer or a facility to only pay for a seat licence on a paying gig. Maybe we'll mostly being doing that in future? But I do like to own my software tools!

• Sat, Mar 14 2015 11:52 PM In reply to

• fdooman
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • LOS ANGELES
    • Posts 518
    • Points 6,340

it is not justifiable to upgrade for $299 for what? Avid where are the fixes and patches for your current 8.3 with lots of bugs whithin?

Symphony 6.0 on PC MC 6 on MAC Pro 3.2 GHZ 2008 model, 8 Gig of ram, Nvidia 8800 GT video card. 500 Gig system drive, 320 gig extra drive, Cineraid 2TB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Mar 15 2015 12:11 AM In reply to

Mercer:
    What will they offer to make it justifiable to upgrade for $299 at the end of 2015?
    You think the editing application is finished? If you do, we are in complete disagreement. MC has lots and lots of room for improvement. I sure hope they spend my 299 on improving the feature set, and on innovating the way we do our jobs. Like Avid used to do. Like many other companies have done in the history of film and television editing, from mag sound to tape splices to 3d DVE's to NLE's.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 16 2015 7:38 PM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 15 2010
    • Posts 372
    • Points 4,715

Job ter Burg:

Mercer:
    What will they offer to make it justifiable to upgrade for $299 at the end of 2015?
    You think the editing application is finished? If you do, we are in complete disagreement.

Where on earth did I say the app is finished?? I'm talking about major new 'must have' industry features like 8K etc. for pro editors, that will justify $299 every year. I only want to spend my money when I need to buy something! It is I repeat unfair to expect us to buy new upgrades for the full list price if we drop out of paying the annual support. I'm happy to pay for new upgrades when they arrive.

I've been happy with Avid's feature set for many years and there has been little meaningful innovation in the craft of editing to me generally either.

• Mon, Mar 16 2015 7:46 PM In reply to

Mercer:
    there has been little meaningful innovation in the craft of editing to me generally either
    Cool, then we are on the same page :D

Mercer:
    major new 'must have' industry features like 8K etc. for pro editors, that will justify $299 every year
    I have to say that I feel that 299/yr isn't that much for software I use daily. Even more so, it makes me doubt how much innovation we can expect for that amount, when it also includes support. I don't think 299/yr is much, especially since most of used to pay that anyway, either by buying an upgrade every year, or buying a more expensive upgrade after two or three years.

But again, I can only hope that they will be able to add meaningful functionality to MC at the current price point.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 16 2015 8:40 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,089
    • Points 216,615
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

fdooman:

it is not justifiable to upgrade for $299 for what? Avid where are the fixes and patches for your current 8.3 with lots of bugs whithin?

8.3.1 is out today and has a boat load of fixes and we even updated the 7.x code base and added a lot of the same fixes AND support Yosemite 10.10.2 on that.  We didnt plan that before but we did it because a lot of folks asked.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Tue, Mar 17 2015 10:41 AM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,620
    • Points 60,370

Seems to me that we've seen an accelerated development cycle from Avid since the introduction of the new pricing policy. I for one see great value in the $299 / year cost. Of course, we will be monitoring the advancements and reevaluating this on an on-going basis but so far I like what I've seen ;-)

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 18.12.1 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2019 | Sapphire 2019 | Mocha Pro 2019 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Tue, Mar 17 2015 1:23 PM In reply to

• dmfreeman
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,850
    • Points 24,220

I whole heartedly agree with Steve's (BarkinMadd) comments.  The forward development has been outstanding since the inception of the new policy.  Seems like they are listening more and more to what is being said in the forums.

Denny

Media Composer 8.5.4, BCC 10.0.0074, AvidDVD 6.4.4, Boris Red 5.5.2.1382, Asus P9X79 Pro Motherboard with Intel 3930K Processor. 32 gigs DDR3 ram, Windows... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 17 2015 1:29 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,089
    • Points 216,615
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

And that will continue as my time will be more focused on the Pro Video side of the house for the rest of 2015.   Notice my posting increasing?????  also spending a lot of time on Avid editors of Facebook, L2 and Ask the editor.

Fridaysi have alloted time in my calendar - this wil be my troll the feature request forum so I can provide the feedback to Design and engineering quicker than before.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, Mar 18 2015 10:11 AM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,620
    • Points 60,370

Marianna - that sounds absolutely fantastic and hopefully rewarding for you. I know we will benefit greatly. 

Big thanks!

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 18.12.1 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2019 | Sapphire 2019 | Mocha Pro 2019 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller