Latest post Thu, Aug 6 2015 4:58 PM by Pixel Monkey. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Feb 1 2015 3:40 PM

Media composer 8.2 Title Tool

Have upgraded to 8.2 ( trial ) and can;'t seem to work on title from earlier projects in new 8.2 projects. Did not use Marguis in my 5.0, but don;t see any title tool that works in 8.2. Comes into tool bar as separate application, not linked to Media Compsre.  Please help.

• Sun, Feb 1 2015 6:24 PM In reply to

Re: Media composer 8.2 Title Tool

Since MC6 Title Tool has been a separate application. (It is still 32 bit)

If you have your title in the timeline you can right click on it and scroll to the Add/Edit Title contextual menu. This will open a dialog box with Promote to Marquee Yes or No (In your settings you can choose to always open in Title tool rather than getting this prompt).  Edit and save 

If your title is in a bin you can Ctrl Double click on it and you get the same (Promote to Marquee) option as above. Make your modifications and save. 

If on a PC you can use F1 when in MC to open MC's Help. Then Search for Open Title or Save Title for details of how the Title tool now works.

• Thu, Jul 30 2015 3:10 PM In reply to

• Danno42
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 14 2013
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Title tool takes 20 seconds to open since 6.0.  That's a lot more efficient right?  Since 8.3 I've noticed that you can no longer just 'save title'.  BTW the help file appears to be out of date.  Every title you now edit has to be renamed and a separate title is made which is a royal pain in the ***.  Is there some new setting I'm not aware of?  I can't see anything or anything referring to this. Also pasting text in from Word is now a lot more difficult.  You have to wait for 20 seconds while the title tool settles down every time.  That's very time consuming on subtitles.  Why does Avid have to mess with things that have worked fine for 20 years?  

• Fri, Jul 31 2015 1:53 PM In reply to

Danno ( and my company ) are among the 1,000s of perplexed Avid 8.3 users who can't get back on the Avid title tool. is there a quick fix, anyone?  Please help?

This forces a migration to Marquee, which is meant for graphic designers, not film editors. Much too detailed, slow, and cumbersome.

The ony reason we have heard about for Avid's ruining it's title tool, is becasue of a money making deal with the Marquee software licensor, who does not want Avid users to have access to the free and at one time user friendly Avid Title Tool.

Filed under:
  • Fri, Jul 31 2015 6:58 PM In reply to

rosenprod@aol.com:
    The ony reason we have heard about for Avid's ruining it's title tool, is becasue of a money making deal with the Marquee software licensor, who does not want Avid users to have access to the free and at one time user friendly Avid Title Tool.
    I believe yhou are completely wrong.

To my recollection Avid brought Marquee (at the time it was a $3000+ program) more than a decade ago so that their users would have better titling options (than FCP at the time?) free.  (Apple responded almost immediately buying a better titling option.)

• Thu, Aug 6 2015 4:08 PM In reply to

• Danno42
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 14 2013
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Whatever the reasons, the Title Tool no longer really works.   And when, in 20 years of using Avid every day have I ever wanted to save an 'unrendered' title?  The point?....I really could do with an extra 6 steps.  Thanks Avid!

• Thu, Aug 6 2015 4:58 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,240
    • Points 15,655
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Hmmm... I'm running a number of systems in a number of different version environments including 8.2 and 8.3, and I'm not seeing this issue. Title Tool is working fine and fast, even with MS Office and other apps open to do copy/pastes. Which leads me to believe it's inherent to how something is set up on the individual systems. Perhaps even a specific version of Office or some other App which isn't playing nice. Heck even a video driver...

Danno and Rosenprod - please fill out your system specs under your profiles so we can begin looking at this scientifically.

Thanks.

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: Follow @heybove

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD (What Would Larry Do?)
    WWND (What Would Norman Do?)

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller